Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:53 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times

Advertisements

Hi, just wondering if any Long Islanders have moved to Port Saint Lucie and if they l;iked it or hated it as my husband has a job offer for there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 11:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Hi, just wondering if any Long Islanders have moved to Port Saint Lucie and if they l;iked it or hated it as my husband has a job offer for there.
You should try the Florida forum. Lots of former New Yorkers there.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:34 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Watch the real estate and homeowner's insurance down there. Many homes were purchased to flip, and the market went bad. Get quotes on homeowner's insurance BEFORE going to contract. Many people in FL no where near the coast are paying 5K per year just in homeowner's insurance.
Also, property taxes are capped for current owners.(Called save our homes) When you buy a house, you will now be taxed at the uncapped rate....could be thousands of dollars per year extra for a new owner.
Basically, do your homework well before moving to FL, so you don't get hit with unexpected surprises.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:20 PM

170 posts, read 878,473 times
Talking Florida or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post

Momix5,
I knew I would find you here. You asked about SC? Why would you consider that if your husband has a job offer in Pt St Lucie? Anyway regardless of where it is you "think" you want to go here is some advice.

Yes, when you live on LI and you were born and raised there (I don't know if you were or not) you become sick and tired of the rat race, trying to get ahead and stay ahead and of the constantly rising property taxes. But remember one thing - you may think you want to leave LI and I am not saying life can't be better outside of LI but it can be very difficult.

So, if you are able to sell your house and go make sure you have plenty of extra cash on hand. The ideal situation is to have a guaranteed income like a pension. If you can swing it maybe you should send your husband to Florida and let him see if that job opportunity is what it is cracked up to be. There are many stories here of people who move from other states for jobs and they either don't exist when they get here or they are not what they thought they would be. Whatever you do and I didn't listen to this advice either DO NOT BUY A HOUSE for a year RENT!!!!!!!!!! Make sure during that year if you can go back to LI to visit. The first year is like a big vacation - you want to see and do everything because everything is new and different and money is like someone elses money coming out of the ATM machine ! It is very easy to get trapped in Florida. It is a huge adjustment - the food that is another story, the heat wears on you and you better be prepared to be called a "Yankee" and remove NY from your resume !
If you decide to go anyway research, research, research !
Also if you are moving to any town go to the local police department and sheriff's department to ask about crime in that particular area - Florida has very open public records and you can find out anything about anyone pretty much. Talk to as many people as you can. It is easy to find NY'ers you will hear them and ask lots of questions. Also the local real estate market is very, very bad because so many people are bailing out of Florida. In the town I live in there are 700 homes for sale (population about 50,000) - that is a tremendous amount.

I am not telling you all of this to scare you or be negative but hopefully to help. There was so much I didn't know when I moved here and the few things that I was told I didn't listen to anyway.

The one thing I do know is that had I not moved away from Long Island and moved to Florida I don't think I would even be able to think of moving to yet another state. It is just time for me to leave Fla. I am tired of the heat, too hard to make a living - I had this big plan which turned to S*** and I am done. I don't want to be old and gray and deal with hurricanes. If I can't go back to LI, I want a place w/change of seasons with a nice quality of life affordable housing - you know the samething everyone else wants !

Good luck,
Fallgirl

Old 07-29-2007, 07:53 PM

12 posts, read 30,155 times
born and raised on LI ( massapequa) now in s/w fl. since 86 hate it since 87 can't aford taxes , insurance or move to smaller home trying to sell and move north (GA. Sc. Nc. son on east coast port St lucie moving to Ga. can't aford the east coast . comming to fl. best to rent a year don't cut connections to LI

Old 07-29-2007, 08:22 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Lets go Mets

Old 07-29-2007, 08:57 PM

My husband can either go to Greenville fla or Pa he has an offer in each one.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:55 AM

My husband can also go to North Carolina. He is a ct tech so anywhere there is a hospital he can move.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:57 AM

177 posts, read 893,162 times
My parents bought a condo in Stuart, FL a few years ago (we went every year to the same complex as we have family there and it is close to Port St. Lucie, the spring training home of the NY Mets) and it was amazing as a vacation spot. But they made the big move to FL last year and are miserable. If the real estate market was better, they would have sold already (the condo was up for months without a bite- very reasonably priced). They've given it over a year there and although the complex is beautiful and serene, they are miserable with FL in general. The job market is awful. It's a huge disappointment. They are up visiting for the summer / fall, to get away from hurricane season.
Think long and hard before making a move. They had researched it well, knew the area and they are not happy.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:12 AM

Thank you I here a lot of people are unhappy with Fla, I do not want to go from the frying pan into the fire financially, but there has to be a place that is affordable and we would do better financially than LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island