Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:55 PM

41 posts, read 149,222 times

Advertisements

u come around mastic beach at night i cant guarantee u wont be robbed

Last edited by mastic hustla; 11-15-2007 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,794 times
My sister in law lives in Mastic and I know for a fact that the area is in great need of clean up. I know for a fact that right in her area there are 7 recently released from prison child molesters. and the area itself is truly in great need of clean up. I myself am scared to go there. I know the school district is horrible as well, they have no music program from what my sister in law tells me, which I think is weird. But if you dont have young kids then that shouldnt matter.

I live in Northport, its beautiful here. Very clean area, great sense of community here. Housing prices really range here, we are right on the water, you can get a house, beach bungalow for 350,000 -450,000 or you could get a mansion for 1.5 mil. or anything inbetween. But the area itself is fantastic.

I lived in Georgia for 2 years and HATED it. Came right back to Northport I wouldnt trade where Iam if you paid me millions.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:57 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Default I don't blame you.

Northport is one of the prettiest towns on Long Island with its small town-feel and the hills and the water. It has everything , really.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
you heard wrong Clamboy, the lake is owned by us & is tested by a lab 52 times a year, which we pay a whooping fee for. It has been closed on rare occaisions due to high fecal counts as with all bodies of water on & around LI.
we have an environmental commitee which includes neighbors of mine that are marine biologists that work at BNL. We have plenty of well educated watchdogs within our community & since we own it & our kids swim in it we cherish its purity.
Dick Amper lives on the lake a half block from me, he is a great asset to our community.
Since the lake has never been tested by anyone but us( unless it was done illegally without our permission) what you heard is false.
I hate to burst your bubble, as I too, like you, used to be a fan of Dick Amper and the Pine Barrens Society. They may have done great things in the past, such as helping to create the pine barrens act. But, the absense of the Pine Barrens Society on some major issues has concerned me.
PBS says they are concerned about overdevelopment, but some of the biggest projects in and around the pine barrens, have gone without as much as a word from the pine barrens society. Take the Tanger Outlet Center in Riverhead, was built in the late 90s. Route 58 used to be nice and rural. Riverhead had plenty of stores in the downtown, and around the circle. But along came Tanger, and it changed the area for the worse. Traffic on route 58 is now unbearable, strip malls all over the place, and lots of litter being thrown out of those cars into the woods. Much of it finds it's way into the Peconic River. They knew Tanger would have a bad impact, yet Amper did nothing to stop it. Where was he when the new McMansions went up on the NE corner of 25 & Wading River road? Amper is upset about a Trap & Skeet in Yaphank, but that was there before all those homes were built. Why didn't he oppose the construction of the subdivision? The real truth, from what I've heard from Steve Levy and various sources on the internet and at Suffolk Life, is that, Amper and the PBS actually get most of their funding from the developers, the very people that threaten the existance of our woodlands! You wont see the PBS mention where they get funding from, gee, I wonder why?
I would love to know that I am wrong, and if someone could prove that to me, it would be great news. But so far I haven't heard anything else to the contrary.
He may care about Lake Panamoka because he lives there, but there are pretty bad conditions in the Peconic because of Tanger, and not a peep from him on that.
I think it is time for a new leader, a new organization that IS NOT influenced by developer money, to preserve the pine barrens. For that I have set up my own videos on Youtube just for that cause. Just search for the Long Island Piney Power show by Pinepowerli.
Somebody has to stand up and say enough is enough.

Last edited by Johninwestbury; 11-25-2007 at 10:09 PM..

Old 11-26-2007, 04:12 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,384 times
john in westbury, I'm not a fan of everything Amper or the PBS does however I know he opposed the development of the homes on 25 & wading river road, tall grass & a few other local projects. I voted against the brookhaven property tax proposal & as I've stated in other posts I have no interest in Brookhaven acquiring more land around my home. What they own now is used as a disgraceful dumping ground & BMX/ATV track for local kids. If NYS wants to acquire more land for preservation near my home or anywhere in the PB I'm all for that.
I've only been out here 4 years & my knowledge of the tanger project is vague. I am in favor of building along 58-not 25 but I feel more focus should go into the redevelopment of downtown. We need shopping out here & I'd rather see it all in one long strip than freckled all over Riverhead & the north fork.
The riverhead town officials are whores, look at what they are doing with calverton.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunexttuesday View Post
Whores indeed

Dick Amper is a good man.
Hes fighting an uphill battle from West to East.

Riverhead is a crooked as the day is long.

Whats your interest Westbury?

!

amen to that cu

Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 23,312 times
Default Animal rescuer friend very cautious about even adopting there

I adore my Pit mix rescued three years ago from a crack house. Four of the six puppies in the litter and the Mother were dead from disease and starvation already by the time the neighbors called Animal Control. My wonderful vet in Speonk saved her with about $12 in antibiotics (and lots opf love and care from us). Maybe the dogs were "no good" because of their mushy, loving dispositions. Guess which town they came from?

Old 11-26-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Dick Amper is a good man.
Hes fighting an uphill battle from West to East.

Riverhead is a crooked as the day is long.

Whats your interest Westbury?
You are right about Riverhead, but I think you are giving Amper too much credit. My interest is preserving the woods. I am sick of seeing the clear cutting and littering of our woods. I have called the Pine Barrens Society numerous times in the past about clearing going on in the pine barrens, such as the homes being built off route 51 in Eastport (south of Sunrise highway), the littering of the woods along Wading River Hollow road north of 25 in the DEC preserve, for example. They never called me back, were not interested in getting involved. Then I have to go back and forth between Brookhaven town and the state trying to get it cleaned up. If I had a truck I'd do it myself already! There's anything from diapers, rubbish (discarded by landscapers and contractors), furniture down there. Also I have yet to find any opposition by Amper to the projects along route 58, including Tanger. I read their website and dont see any mention to his opposition to the McMansions along route 25 either.
The Citizen's Campaign for the Environment at least has showed interest on cleaning up the woods from illegal dumping. I give them credit for that. I am no way involved with them or any other organization for that matter. I am just saying how I feel about land preservation, and that Amper or the Pine Barrens Society hasn't been interested in anything I have to say. They just dont seem very responsive. And if you've been following the news, you will see alot of bad press about Amper because of his ties to developers. Just google "Dick Amper".

Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
john in westbury, I'm not a fan of everything Amper or the PBS does however I know he opposed the development of the homes on 25 & wading river road, tall grass & a few other local projects. I voted against the brookhaven property tax proposal & as I've stated in other posts I have no interest in Brookhaven acquiring more land around my home. What they own now is used as a disgraceful dumping ground & BMX/ATV track for local kids. If NYS wants to acquire more land for preservation near my home or anywhere in the PB I'm all for that.
I've only been out here 4 years & my knowledge of the tanger project is vague. I am in favor of building along 58-not 25 but I feel more focus should go into the redevelopment of downtown. We need shopping out here & I'd rather see it all in one long strip than freckled all over Riverhead & the north fork.
The riverhead town officials are whores, look at what they are doing with calverton.
I agree with you, the state and county do a better job of preserving land. Amper wants to bring the transfer tax proposal back too next year. Even though I supported it, the people have spoken and I respect that, and understand why folks in Brookhaven cannot afford this tax. The transfer tax should not be brought back. The land in Brookhaven should be preserved by the state or county. It is a shame they malled up route 58, and now want to do the same with Calverton. Meanwhile they ignore the downtown. Any new development should be going on in the downtown.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:17 PM

24 posts, read 109,298 times
I was at a party in Mastic-Shirley area. These are nice people. The residential area where I was was okay. But many parts of the area, I could tell, were not well kept. Someone there told me they wouldn't recommend sending kids to the schools there.

But with the economy being what it is and housing being so ridiculously expensive in NY I wouldn't be surprised if people who would normally move to the middle class to upper middle class areas will eventually have no other choice but to move to Mastic-Shirley if they want to stay in New York.

It sounds here like traditionally people from this area try to do better so they can get out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island