U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:59 AM

3,173 posts, read 5,633,058 times

Advertisements

Make sure to do a before/after vid like this if you do it. Here is a good addition- This looks like Massapequa TBH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR2p9TJpr9A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 AM

2,501 posts, read 5,961,367 times
What if I was just expanding the 2nd floor, lets say add one bedroom and a basic bath (no bells and whistles) over the garage ?
Also note: the new bath would be adjacent to the existing bath, so figures plumbing would not be that crazy.
It would have cost me 50K + to buy up last year.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,330,611 times
Adding a second story can make sense, or not and the price can range mainly depending on what ellse you have to do.

All in, I think prices start really around 75K-100K. however, you have to consider what your existing house is like. for 1) do you need a new heating system to support hte sqftage? do you need to upgrade electrical service? new hot water heater? you're probably going to want to side the entire house when you do this. do you want an interesting design or just a box? do you want to hang over 2 feet on the back to gain more room? do you want standard double hung windows or add a few arch ones in there? adding 1 bath or 2? is the downstairs staying the same? or is there more work to be done there to make the new house "work"?

I"m in the process of going through one of these. if you answer yes to a lot of those questions, you end up spending a lot of money.... i know, I did.

if you don't "fix" the downstairs you don't really have the colonial you want and you end up with one of the houses they advertise as a 6br 2 bath house... with small kitchens, dining areas, and living rooms.

I'm not saying don't do it, but realize that to have a that new house colonial feel to it, it takes more than the 80K basic dormer.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 AM

466 posts, read 1,032,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
Adding a second story can make sense, or not and the price can range mainly depending on what ellse you have to do.

All in, I think prices start really around 75K-100K. however, you have to consider what your existing house is like. for 1) do you need a new heating system to support hte sqftage? do you need to upgrade electrical service? new hot water heater? you're probably going to want to side the entire house when you do this. do you want an interesting design or just a box? do you want to hang over 2 feet on the back to gain more room? do you want standard double hung windows or add a few arch ones in there? adding 1 bath or 2? is the downstairs staying the same? or is there more work to be done there to make the new house "work"?

I"m in the process of going through one of these. if you answer yes to a lot of those questions, you end up spending a lot of money.... i know, I did.

if you don't "fix" the downstairs you don't really have the colonial you want and you end up with one of the houses they advertise as a 6br 2 bath house... with small kitchens, dining areas, and living rooms.

I'm not saying don't do it, but realize that to have a that new house colonial feel to it, it takes more than the 80K basic dormer.

Agreed. So many opportunities come up in the process where you will want to add/upgrade/change out things. I had my entire 1st floor gutted. I had my basement stairs moved since we needed to place the stairs going up in a reasonable spot. I removed two of the downstairs bedrooms and made that a large living room. Made the third bedroom a small office by removing the closets (thus giving more space to the living room). I have an open to below area in the center of the house where i can see the upstairs. I have a huge dining room and a very large kitchen with a large kitchen island.

Also if you dormer and want to go over your existing garage, that also adds a lot to the cost as you would have to reinforce your garage walls. You might need to underpin the foundation around the garage. Just going over the existing footprint of the house itself keeps the cost down, but again if you are going to do it, going over the garage gives you a few hundred more square feet to work with upstairs.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,330,611 times
there are plenty of places you can upgrade, and in some cases it definately makes a lot of sense to do so. In plenty of others, its going above what is nice for your area and is solely b/c you are just pleasing yourself. Once you get past the base, you can spend anything you want on the various options.

The thing is, if you don't intergrate it properly with a nice flow, it can be a turnoff. Also, there are good contractors and not so good contractors, as many high quality jobs out there as poorly finished jobs.

Although Bulletz06 mentions PEX OSB and HD special mouldings.... that is pretty much standard in new construction, for whatever that is worth. I've looked into PEX, I like it, OSB ehhh.... HD mouldings, if you can afford it, upgrade.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:16 PM

903 posts, read 2,967,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Make sure to do a before/after vid like this if you do it. Here is a good addition- This looks like Massapequa TBH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR2p9TJpr9A

that video was great-i wonder who the contractor was-the new house looks beautiful

Old 02-08-2011, 06:53 AM

8,458 posts, read 11,239,265 times
in the process of doing this now... we bought a ranch in Sept. and building up another 1300sq ft. It's the square footage that really effects the price the most. To do a dormer of that size, it is costing us above $150k, some more because we're doing 1st floor stuff too (opening walls). When we bought, I was reading older posts and it was about $125k from what I gathered but I guess things have gone up in price. We got a good 5-7 quotes and they were all in the same price range.

As for taxes, we looked up the increase of a few neighbors who did the same. They typically went from $10-12k up to $16-18k.

Reason why we don't "buy up" into a colonial in the first place is because of availability/worth. The ones that were in good shape/size were either overpriced ($650k in Old Bethpage) or simply not being sold. We were only able to see 1 or 2 viable options in many months of looking. To do what we're doing, we're coming in well under $650k and get it the way we want. Sure there are headaches but if you've seen what's out there, it's better than settling.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 AM

510 posts, read 1,765,418 times
We recently did a full dormer on a Levitt Cape. We added around 900 sq ft. We original had 2 bedrooms and a closet up stairs. We now have 4 bedrooms, a full bathroom, a laundry room and an attic up above. We built over the garage too. We gutted the whole downstairs, and knocked out all of the walls. We moved the stairs, and the boiler and redid the kitchen. The house is now just how we want it and we will stay here so our children have a great home to grow up in. We love the area around us, the schools and the neighbors. We spent around $160k. We had a lot of contractor issues and actually fired the first contractor. We are 98% finished now and just have a few odds and ends to complete which should be done by May. We already got notice that our taxes are going up 25%, which sux. We didnt increase the footing, just built up. What raises the taxes is the new bathroom which wasnt existing. If you increase the footing, then your taxes go up a lot.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,673,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
We recently did a full dormer on a Levitt Cape. We added around 900 sq ft. We original had 2 bedrooms and a closet up stairs. We now have 4 bedrooms, a full bathroom, a laundry room and an attic up above. We built over the garage too. We gutted the whole downstairs, and knocked out all of the walls. We moved the stairs, and the boiler and redid the kitchen. The house is now just how we want it and we will stay here so our children have a great home to grow up in. We love the area around us, the schools and the neighbors. We spent around $160k. We had a lot of contractor issues and actually fired the first contractor. We are 98% finished now and just have a few odds and ends to complete which should be done by May. We already got notice that our taxes are going up 25%, which sux. We didnt increase the footing, just built up. What raises the taxes is the new bathroom which wasnt existing. If you increase the footing, then your taxes go up a lot.

Youd didn't increase the footprint but you did increase the square footage which, in addition to the new bathroom, increases the taxes.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:42 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,633,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
that video was great-i wonder who the contractor was-the new house looks beautiful
I googled the number on the sign and it came up with Larsen Home Improvement based in Hicksville NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or