U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 10,136 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to either lynbrook or oceanside. Any advice on which town is better to raise a family? Also, any areas in both towns to stay away from? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 AM

257 posts, read 622,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie24 View Post
I'm looking to move to either lynbrook or oceanside. Any advice on which town is better to raise a family? Also, any areas in both towns to stay away from? Thank you!
I would prefer the Lynbrook area personally. Be sure to limit your search to the Lynbrook schools or East Rockaway. Some of the Lynbrook homes are in Malvern schools, which is not considered nearly as good as the other two. Not sure what your budget is, but also make sure any taxes listed for Lynbrook include the village tax, which could be an extra $2000 a year or so.

Oceanside isn't bad either, but you can pretty much buy in both of these areas for the same price, and IMO the afore mentioned schools are better than Oceanside. Depending on your budget, you may also want to look in Rockville Center with the Oceanside schools, sometimes you may catch a bargain for the neighborhood in this area.

For all these neighborhoods, you may want to look at a FEMA flood map and try to avoid being in an AE flood zone and save some money (unless you're looking for waterfront).

Old 02-08-2011, 12:19 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,881,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
I would prefer the Lynbrook area personally. Be sure to limit your search to the Lynbrook schools or East Rockaway. Some of the Lynbrook homes are in Malvern schools, which is not considered nearly as good as the other two. Not sure what your budget is, but also make sure any taxes listed for Lynbrook include the village tax, which could be an extra $2000 a year or so.

Oceanside isn't bad either, but you can pretty much buy in both of these areas for the same price, and IMO the afore mentioned schools are better than Oceanside. Depending on your budget, you may also want to look in Rockville Center with the Oceanside schools, sometimes you may catch a bargain for the neighborhood in this area.

For all these neighborhoods, you may want to look at a FEMA flood map and try to avoid being in an AE flood zone and save some money (unless you're looking for waterfront).
The Village tax in Lynbrook is more like mid-$3K to high $4K/low $5K these days. Go to MLSLI.com and see (for the listings in Lynbrook that actually list the Village taxes ... less and less do).

Plus Village tax is still high even if you are zoned for mediocre (to be kind) Malverne schools, which are several rungs down the ladder from excellent Lynbrook 20 SD.

I would not recommend Lynbrook due to the high Village taxes on top of the (also high) "regular" property taxes. Oceanside does not have Village taxes and their schools are fine. RVC with Oceanside schools might also be a good idea, but watch the taxes.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 PM

3,195 posts, read 8,092,679 times
There are parts of Lynbrook that fall outside the incorporated village. I grew up in one of those areas and still attended Lynbrook Schools.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:44 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,640,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
There are parts of Lynbrook that fall outside the incorporated village.
Those places that have a "Lynbrook, NY 11563" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lynbrook are in the Hamlet of North Lynbrook, the Village of East Rockaway and the Hamlet of Hewlett; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Lynbrook that have a "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" mailing address.

A map of the "Lynbrook, NY 11563" ZIP Code postal zone:

Quote:
I grew up in one of those areas and still attended Lynbrook Schools.
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Lynbrook Union Free School District includes all or part of the Village of Malverne, the Village of Lynbrook, the Village of East Rockaway, the Village of Hewlett Harbor, the Hamlet of Hewlett and the Village of Valley Stream.

A map of the Lynbrook Union Free School District:
Attached Thumbnails
looking to move to lynbrook, oceanside-lynbrook-ny11563.gif  

Old 02-08-2011, 08:20 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,881,319 times
Quote:
There are parts of Lynbrook that fall outside the incorporated village. I grew up in one of those areas and still attended Lynbrook Schools.
Could you give us some bordering streets or guidelines of where that would be?

It would be great to be in Lynbrook SD 20 and NOT have to pay any Village property taxes!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,640,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Could you give us some bordering streets or guidelines of where that would be?

It would be great to be in Lynbrook SD 20 and NOT have to pay any Village property taxes! :ok:
The northeast part of the Hamlet of Hewlett has a "Lynbrook, NY 11563" mailing address and is in the Lynbrook Union Free School District.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:22 PM

39 posts, read 90,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The Village tax in Lynbrook is more like mid-$3K to high $4K/low $5K these days. Go to MLSLI.com and see (for the listings in Lynbrook that actually list the Village taxes ... less and less do).

Plus Village tax is still high even if you are zoned for mediocre (to be kind) Malverne schools, which are several rungs down the ladder from excellent Lynbrook 20 SD.

I would not recommend Lynbrook due to the high Village taxes on top of the (also high) "regular" property taxes. Oceanside does not have Village taxes and their schools are fine. RVC with Oceanside schools might also be a good idea, but watch the taxes.
You generally do not pay more in taxes overall, just because you pay village taxes. The village tax is tax you would have paid to the town for services that the village provides. Villages are generally more efficient have a better sense of the needs of the immediate neighborhood than the town. However, if you are in a village that has very good schools, like Lynbrook or RVC, you may pay higher overall taxes, but that is most likely because your school taxes are higher(Better school districts generally have higher school taxes). Most of you propery tax is school tax. Generally your Realtor can provide compares for you. But village taxes should not be too much (or at all) higher than what you would pay to the Town if you live in a Hamlet.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:49 PM

716 posts, read 1,064,199 times
I like Lynbrook's centralized and walkable downtown area vs. Oceanside's industrial sprawl - strip mall after strip mall.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:25 AM

9,553 posts, read 11,119,492 times
Oceanside used to be a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island