Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 73,344 times

Advertisements

Dear Everybody:

I want to report the illegal apartment I'm living in here in Nassau County but I'm am still living in it. I am trying to buy a house or mobile home as soon as possible but a mortgage company that promised to loan me money for a house for 10% down changed their mind after three months and wants 20% down which I don't have.

The landlady cut off and stole an electrical extension cord to the garage wiping out one lousy light bulb that lit up the garage. I'm paying $50 a month to use half as storage space. She cut me off from use of the driveway past a gate after I recovered my stolen car and wanted better security. One of the rooms in the basement apartment is accessible to her and her guests to use the washing machine. Should I lock her out with new locks to the two doors that go to the room? Any accurate comments will be appreciated.

How long will the city inspectors take before they come? I have a *.avi video of the empty apartment I took before I moved in. Will it help get her fined if I mail a copy to the city? Should I stop paying rent altogether? All the house circuit breakers are in the basement apartment.

Yours,
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 AM

Default Reporting the illegal apartment: I'm still in it!

Dear Everybody:

I want to report the illegal apartment I'm living in here in Nassau County but I'm am still living in it. I am trying to buy a house or mobile home as soon as possible but a mortgage company that promised to loan me money for a house for 10% down changed their mind after three months and wants 20% down which I don't have.

The landlady cut off and stole an electrical extension cord to the garage wiping out one lousy light bulb that lit up the garage. I'm paying $50 a month to use half as storage space. She cut me off from use of the driveway past a gate after I recovered my stolen car and wanted better security. One of the rooms is accessible to her and her guests to use the washing machine. Should I lock her out with new locks to the two doors that go to the room? Any accurate comments will be appreciated.

How long will the city inspectors take before they come? I have a *.avi video of the empty apartment I took before I moved in. Will it help get her fined if I mail a copy to the city? Should I stop paying rent altogether? All the house circuit breakers are in the basement apartment.

Yours,
John

Old 06-02-2008, 11:20 AM

Dear Everybody:

I want to report the illegal apartment I'm living in here in Nassau County but I'm still living in it. I am trying to buy a house or mobile home as soon as possible but a mortgage company that promised to loan me money for a house for 10% down changed their mind after three months and wants 20% down which I don't have.

The landlady cut off and stole an electrical extension cord to the garage wiping out one lousy light bulb that lit up the garage. I'm paying $50 a month to use half as storage space. She cut me off from use of the driveway past a gate after I recovered my stolen car and wanted better security. One of the rooms is accessible to her and her guests to use the washing machine. Should I lock her out with new locks to the two doors that go to the room? Any accurate comments will be appreciated.

Yours,
John

Old 06-02-2008, 11:29 AM

Default Reporting the illegal apartment: I'm still in it!

Dear Everybody:

I want to report the illegal apartment I'm living in here in Nassau County but I'm still living in it. I am trying to buy a house or mobile home as soon as possible but a mortgage company that promised to loan me money for a house for 10% down changed their mind after three months and wants 20% down which I don't have.

Yours,
John

Old 06-02-2008, 07:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Default Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteppenwolfRocket View Post
Dear Everybody:

Yours,
John
My advice:

Do not report the illegal apartment until after you have moved. It depends on the municipality as to how soon they will act or what they will do. If you are gone when you report her (landlady), you will not be inconvenienced.

Do not lock her out from her washing machine. That is just screwed up, may cause her to call the police to complain about you, which may cause the apartment to be reported to the authorities before you are ready to move.

Continue paying rent. You do have a roof over your head. Also, if you knew this was an illegal apt. to begin with, you are not entirely blameless. Look at it as building good karma by paying for the roof over your head even if it is illegal.

If the things she cut you off from (light in the garage and the area in the driveway within the gate) were promised when you moved in, perhaps you could tell her you want to proportionately pay less since you don't have them anymore; but I don't think either of them are worth a lot of money to be deducted.

Good luck moving out of there!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:59 PM

Dear Respondent:

Thanks for getting back to me about a serious situation. I looked up the illegal rental phone number and it's Town Councilman Edward Ambrosino at 516 489-5000 for the Town of Hempstead in Long Island. The landlady's in denial about renting an illegal apartment and is telling me to leave in one month. What are the laws on evicting someone from an illegal apartment?

If she calls the cops about not paying rent, should I tell the cops she's renting an illegal apartment? She thinks she's more powerful than God because she owns a house with a mortgage on it.

Yours,
John

Old 06-08-2008, 02:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteppenwolfRocket View Post
Dear Respondent:

Thanks for getting back to me about a serious situation. I looked up the illegal rental phone number and it's Town Councilman Edward Ambrosino at 516 489-5000 for the Town of Hempstead in Long Island. The landlady's in denial about renting an illegal apartment and is telling me to leave in one month. What are the laws on evicting someone from an illegal apartment?

If she calls the cops about not paying rent, should I tell the cops she's renting an illegal apartment? She thinks she's more powerful than God because she owns a house with a mortgage on it.

Yours,
John
If she calls the cops, they cannot do anything to you. Collecting overdue rent is not one of their job duties. She would have to be a real idiot to bother the police with this.

As for the laws on evicting someone from an illegal apartment, they are the same as for a legal one. She does not get any special rights to get rid of you faster because the apartment is illegal. She has to go through the same court system and pay the same things (such as pay the sheriff to throw you out, etc.) as a landlord of a legal apartment.

People don't know how hard it is to get someone out of their house and think, "It's my house, I will make them leave!" It's not that simple. For example, did you know that if you let someone stay with you and sleep on your couch because they are in between places, you had better not let them stay past 30 consecutive calendar days? Reason being, even though they are just a "guest" of yours, after 30 consecutive calendar days, they have "rights" to stay with you and you have to evict them just like a landlord would. I recently read of a weird situation where a man was letting a couple (man and woman) stay with him, he got into a fight with the other man because the other man slapped around the woman. The man staying with him he fought with got an Order of Protection against the guy whose apartment it was and then the apartment holder had to move out of his own apartment!

Old 09-13-2009, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 16,772 times
This is so redicules. I am a new home owner and I have my mother in the basment to help with the bills and I am only 27 owning a home is not cheap let me tell you. Baasment apartments do not bring down your neighborhood. I was engaged to be married when I bought the house. I am no longer with the guy and luckily I have my mother who moved in with me to help me out. So people can say what they want to say but at lease I am renting my basment to save my house and not being money hungry.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 16,772 times
Some people have to do what they have to do living on Long Island is not cheap.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:17 AM

7,929 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess13 View Post
This is so redicules. I am a new home owner and I have my mother in the basment to help with the bills and I am only 27 owning a home is not cheap let me tell you. Baasment apartments do not bring down your neighborhood. I was engaged to be married when I bought the house. I am no longer with the guy and luckily I have my mother who moved in with me to help me out. So people can say what they want to say but at lease I am renting my basment to save my house and not being money hungry.
Make it legal, pay the extra tax on having an accessory apartment, provide appropriate parking for the tenant, and then no one could complain at all.

We ALL know owning a home isn't cheap. Basement apartments can bring down the value of the neighborhood, especially when inexperienced landlords don't perform the most basic of background checks to see WHO it is they are renting to. Your story about your mother living with you is not what cuases most people to complain. Its usually about someone sending kids to the school district at $15K a pop, or college students trying to live like they're in a party filled dorm.

Most of us purchased a home on LI to be in a community of mostly SINGLE family homes with the occasional LEGAL two family home. If I buy a house next to a two family house, I can't complain about tenants. If I buy next to a single family home that decides to become a boarding house, you better believe I'll do whatever it legally takes to shut it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island