Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,330,874 times

Advertisements

Late yesterday afternoon I put out a box of paper near the curb which was supposed to be picked up this morning by the recyclables truck. Early this morning I noticed that the box of paper had been taken, long before the truck came. In all these years I haven't seen this happen but I may just have not noticed it.
I can't think of any reason someone would take it other than they want to sift through it looking for bank account numbers, social security numbers, etc. It was mostly newspapers but there may have been a bank or brokerage statement. I always rip such documents through the place where the account # is, but I suppose it's possible that the pieces could be found and put together. Even so, they don't have my password. They might be able to use an account number to create phony checks. I just don't know. I'll be keeping a close watch on my accounts.

This is scary. From now on I'll be destroying financial documents and disposing of them in a different way. If you aren't already doing so, let my experience be a warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,628 times
buy a shredder...

any documents with more than my name and address on it get shredded (or burned in the fireplace). this includes pre approved credit card junk mail

Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Good piece of advice: Open your mail whilst standing over a shredder. Anything you don't plan on using (credit card offers, e.g.) gets shredded before it has a chance to be mixed with your outgoing trash. This helps to keep clutter down to a minimum as well.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Late yesterday afternoon I put out a box of paper near the curb which was supposed to be picked up this morning by the recyclables truck. Early this morning I noticed that the box of paper had been taken, long before the truck came. In all these years I haven't seen this happen but I may just have not noticed it.
I can't think of any reason someone would take it other than they want to sift through it looking for bank account numbers, social security numbers, etc. It was mostly newspapers but there may have been a bank or brokerage statement. I always rip such documents through the place where the account # is, but I suppose it's possible that the pieces could be found and put together. Even so, they don't have my password. They might be able to use an account number to create phony checks. I just don't know. I'll be keeping a close watch on my accounts.

This is scary. From now on I'll be destroying financial documents and disposing of them in a different way. If you aren't already doing so, let my experience be a warning.
Chances are they were picked up by someone who collects and sells scrap.I often see a pick up truck loaded with bikes and other metal going around on trash day.A sign of the times with the economy the way it is.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM

184 posts, read 227,679 times
To people crazy about shredding everything: you're not important. Nobody cares about your bills. Unless you're a spy with highly classified documents, get a hold of yourself.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Chances are they were picked up by someone who collects and sells scrap.I often see a pick up truck loaded with bikes and other metal going around on trash day.A sign of the times with the economy the way it is.
You'd laugh if you came to Long Beach. I see people wheeling 2-3 shopping carts at a time with cans/recyclables reaching 8-10 feet high.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:32 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
To people crazy about shredding everything: you're not important. Nobody cares about your bills. Unless you're a spy with highly classified documents, get a hold of yourself.
werd... identity theft only happens to donald trump

Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 AM

186 posts, read 713,200 times
Quote:

Are you really that dumb?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:12 AM

270 posts, read 964,222 times
Quote:

I don't think I'm important, and no we don't have HIGHLY CLASSIFIED documents, but i did have someone steal my wallet and used my credit and debit card years ago. she also had my SSN, but didn't use it thank god! It's not fun!! Yes, it is a little different than someone going through your garbage and stealing documents to steal your identity.........but we still shred everything and will continue to do so! When it happens to you, you will shred everything also

Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
Definitely shred all that. I put out a box with newspapers and shredded paper - I even shred some junk mail just to make sure there's enough of a mix of papers that there's no way anyone can get any account numbers.

Yeah, maybe I'm paranoid, but I've been the victim of identity theft - be sure to shred those pre-approved credit cards! Though mine was taken from my mail by someone I knew, so shredding wouldn't have helped me, but it sure can't hurt! Besides, it can be fun and it's good for packing up breakables in (like fancy Christmas ornaments) for storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island