Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,436 times

Advertisements

Let me get this straight. Some of you guys think tiger parenting is a good thing and also that teachers should be able to take away recess, when studies have shown that children, especially children with ADHD, tend to display MORE disruptive behavior on days when they don't get recess. Some kids absolutely need that physical activity in order expend energy. As for asian children being at the top of the class - this is true, BUT it comes with a heavy price. Cornell conducted a study and found that asian kids were FAR more likely to commit suicide during their high school and college years due to the extreme pressure to earn high grades. The statistics were quite alarming. I think a more moderate approach would be better. Emphasize the importance of education, but don't be so overbearing. Kids should NOT be taught to be unquestioningly obediant. Being respectful and doing whatever an authority figure says are two entirely different things. Both my children are bright and have minds of their own. My daughter is now a successful aerospace engineer and my son is also going into the engineering field. I was always involved with their education, but I never wanted them to become mindless automatons seeking the best grade. Thirst for knowledge is far more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 04:43 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,794,040 times
if you have a doctors note, you can get out of gym like I did for 2 years.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:54 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,952,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illogicalspock View Post
Let me get this straight. Some of you guys think tiger parenting is a good thing and also that teachers should be able to take away recess, when studies have shown that children, especially children with ADHD, tend to display MORE disruptive behavior on days when they don't get recess. Some kids absolutely need that physical activity in order expend energy. As for asian children being at the top of the class - this is true, BUT it comes with a heavy price. Cornell conducted a study and found that asian kids were FAR more likely to commit suicide during their high school and college years due to the extreme pressure to earn high grades. The statistics were quite alarming. I think a more moderate approach would be better. Emphasize the importance of education, but don't be so overbearing. Kids should NOT be taught to be unquestioningly obediant. Being respectful and doing whatever an authority figure says are two entirely different things. Both my children are bright and have minds of their own. My daughter is now a successful aerospace engineer and my son is also going into the engineering field. I was always involved with their education, but I never wanted them to become mindless automatons seeking the best grade. Thirst for knowledge is far more important.
The problem is that what you think is "unquestioningly obedient" and "respectful" are probably different than what someone else thinks.

I hear all this hyperbole about the schools expecting "blind obedience". All that I see from my kids school are the following requirements: don't hit or push anyone, sit down when you're told to sit down, and shut your mouth when the teacher is talking.

If people think that's "unquestioningly obediant"..than the problem is that person and their kid, not the schools, and over the last 30 years the number of numbskull parents with this attitude has skyrocketed.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,558,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illogicalspock View Post
Let me get this straight. Some of you guys think tiger parenting is a good thing and also that teachers should be able to take away recess, when studies have shown that children, especially children with ADHD, tend to display MORE disruptive behavior on days when they don't get recess.
Perhaps the ADHD children, who (as you indicate) are more disruptive when not active, should be placed in special classes to better coordinate their learning needs and necessary physical activity. That would totally go against the inclusion model, though.

Quote:
Some kids absolutely need that physical activity in order expend energy.
Some kids need to learn how to behave in social settings, too. The kid who is jumping about during mass, who has his/her hands all over everything in the store, who is disrespectful of adults (teacher, neighbors, own parents) doesn't need physicals activity as much as s/he needs DISCIPLINE. Being corrected when a child engages in inappropriate behavior isn't accomplished through spanking, but by removing privileges or favorite toys/possessions. Losing recess (a privilege) is an effective measure in the classroom.

Quote:
As for asian children being at the top of the class - this is true, BUT it comes with a heavy price. Cornell conducted a study and found that asian kids were FAR more likely to commit suicide during their high school and college years due to the extreme pressure to earn high grades. The statistics were quite alarming.
Please provide a link as this is something I would like to read.

Quote:
I think a more moderate approach would be better. Emphasize the importance of education, but don't be so overbearing. Kids should NOT be taught to be unquestioningly obediant. Being respectful and doing whatever an authority figure says are two entirely different things. Both my children are bright and have minds of their own. My daughter is now a successful aerospace engineer and my son is also going into the engineering field. I was always involved with their education, but I never wanted them to become mindless automatons seeking the best grade. Thirst for knowledge is far more important.
I grew up in a household where there was a lot of stress put on my academics, what teachers said was law. One year a teacher called attendance, I was there and she marked me out. I was threatened with detention, my parents freaked. I had the dittos -- teacher said anyone could have given it to me. I had classmates vouch I was there but it was an uphill battle.

My experience made me physically sick come finals, and to this day, when things are stressful with work, I still get that way. It's not a good thing.

When I had my children I made a promise to myself to be involved, to not be my parents, and to always question a teacher and my child if something wasn't right.

I believe in respect for all, and discipline when needed to correct an undesirable action; but do not feel children in school today are mindless automatons or unquestioningly obedient.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 AM

100 posts, read 221,782 times
Phys Ed and recess are very different. Yes, recess is a privilege. They can take recess away. Phys Ed is state mandated so they can not take that away. There are only a few schools on LI that meet the 120 minutes per week. Most elementary schools only get 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island