Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMonster View Post
I don't think parents PAY EXTRA to have their kids taught by private school teachers. They often send their kids to private schools for either religious reasons or to avoid minority groups within their actual school district. Again, if there are other reasons people send their kids to private school, I'm interested in hearing their reasons.
Really. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Most private schools on Long Island are Catholic, and nuns are teachers at many of them. Nuns generally don't collect salaries, and if they do get paid, it goes right to the Church.

This may have changed in recent years, but when I was in high school (lo those many years ago) the lay teachers at private schools could belong to unions and strike. I remember the nuns subbing for their classes and the students joining the picket lines during their lunch periods. Teacher strikes are not legal in New York, but that didn't stop them.

Likewise, I grew up in the Brentwood school district. No way were my parents sending us to the high schools there. Too much violence. Our choices were St. John's in West Islip or St. Joe's in Brentwood.

Also, I have family who taught in both Catholic and public schools. It's not a matter of competency. One taught in Catholic schools because she preferred the discipline there.

But of course, people who have no experience with private schools are always going to interject their opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post

Do our health care workers get paid per patient? Nope.
Actually, that's what [URL="http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/capitation"]capitation[/URL] is all about, so you might want to find another group for comparison.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:01 AM

74 posts, read 207,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Really. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Most private schools on Long Island are Catholic, and nuns are teachers at many of them. Nuns generally don't collect salaries, and if they do get paid, it goes right to the Church.

This may have changed in recent years, but when I was in high school (lo those many years ago) the lay teachers at private schools could belong to unions and strike. I remember the nuns subbing for their classes and the students joining the picket lines during their lunch periods. Teacher strikes are not legal in New York, but that didn't stop them.

Likewise, I grew up in the Brentwood school district. No way were my parents sending us to the high schools there. Too much violence. Our choices were St. John's in West Islip or St. Joe's in Brentwood.

Also, I have family who taught in both Catholic and public schools. It's not a matter of competency. One taught in Catholic schools because she preferred the discipline there.

But of course, people who have no experience with private schools are always going to interject their opinions.

First, I am a teacher in the Brentwood School District, and like all aspects of Brentwood, the violence at the high school level is grossly exaggerated. Second, I am pretty sure that if someone could get a public school teaching job, they would take it over the private school job. I know I did. I applied to Mercy High School (private school) in Riverhead my first year out of college and was hired on the spot. I then received the job at Brentwood High School and obviously took that job.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:04 PM

66 posts, read 230,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
not sure if you've noticed, but public school teaching jobs aren't exactly easy to come by these days.

Reason #1: compared to many (NOT ALL) public school districts, graduates of the better catholic and private schools get into better colleges. That end result is the primary reason parents send their kids to these schools.
Correlation is not causality. Most children who come from parents that take the interest/money to send them to a private school are predisposed to being good students due to their life experiences and influence from their parents.
Take a kid from a troubled home with parents who dont give a **** about his education, keep him in an environment not conducive to learning... BUT give him a free ride to a private school.... I am sure he/she will get into an amazing college

Quote:
Lived in Sachem. I chose private school because the public education was garbage, my parents gave the same option to all of the kids. My friends throughout HS went to a well-rated PS (NP), were in all AP/Honors classes. My brother and I are professionals, home owners, fathers, married, and have been working in our respective fields for years. None of us chose to associate with the "right" people. My parents wanted a school that would accept a grade of 66 as passing (or is it 55 now?!). Of my friends, again all PS AP/Honors:
1 Went on to become a professional
1 is the eternal student
1 hasn't had a job more then two weeks
1 hasn't had an above minimum-wage job, dropped out of college
1 I lost track of, but last I heard he was some intern for a government person.

PS doesn't have the best track record from my views.
Me AND my wife BOTH went to William Floyd(almost as bad a district as Sachem).... we both went to good colleges and got B.S. and M.S. degrees and now we are both professionals.

There is my anecdotal evidence.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:00 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,253 times
Private schools have the right to expel, public schools do not. Parents who pay for private schools, generally expect to have that investment count therefore their children know that if they screw up, there will be serious consequences.

In public schools, there are very few consequences - suspension if its not in-school is like a vacation, few schools have detention, and there is no expulsion.

Most private schools also do not offer special education. Many do not offer services for English Language Learners. Private schools often have smaller class sizes as well. Therefore, if you send your kids to private school you can be sure that your child's fellow students are mostly middle- to upper-class, well-behaved, english speaking, motivated, and in a smaller setting.

This is basically why public school teachers get paid more than private schools. Public school teachers are asked to teach students with a wider array of abilities/disabilities and behaviors. They are asked to manage a classroom of 34 students, some of whom may have significant learning or behavioral issues with little back-up from the Deans and Administration for dealing with said behavioral issues.

The main reason people teach in private schools is because its usually easier, the main reason people teach in public schools is for the higher salary. Its a trade-off.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:33 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Private schools have the right to expel, public schools do not. Parents who pay for private schools, generally expect to have that investment count therefore their children know that if they screw up, there will be serious consequences.

In public schools, there are very few consequences - suspension if its not in-school is like a vacation, few schools have detention, and there is no expulsion.

Most private schools also do not offer special education. Many do not offer services for English Language Learners. Private schools often have smaller class sizes as well. Therefore, if you send your kids to private school you can be sure that your child's fellow students are mostly middle- to upper-class, well-behaved, english speaking, motivated, and in a smaller setting.

This is basically why public school teachers get paid more than private schools. Public school teachers are asked to teach students with a wider array of abilities/disabilities and behaviors. They are asked to manage a classroom of 34 students, some of whom may have significant learning or behavioral issues with little back-up from the Deans and Administration for dealing with said behavioral issues.

The main reason people teach in private schools is because its usually easier, the main reason people teach in public schools is for the higher salary. Its a trade-off.
Really?

I strongly disagree.

I also didn't know there was a 34 student minimum for public school teachers around here.

I think the fact that our local public school teachers are part of a labor union is the real reason.

How about all those public school teachers in areas without labor unions for school teachers?

Are those public school teachers living off the fat of the land when compared to the private school teachers in their respective areas?

Hardly.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:37 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
[quote=SilverBulletZ06;17986323]
Do our health care workers get paid per patient?

Some do. Home health care agencies routinely hire you as per visit no benefits. THey don't want to pay the health insurance.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:42 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,445 times
[quote=NSHL10;18059991]
Quote:

Do our health care workers get paid per patient?

Some do. Home health care agencies routinely hire you as per visit no benefits. THey don't want to pay the health insurance.
Some technicians for special medical equipment get paid per appointment.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:06 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Correlation is not causality. Most children who come from parents that take the interest/money to send them to a private school are predisposed to being good students due to their life experiences and influence from their parents.
Take a kid from a troubled home with parents who dont give a **** about his education, keep him in an environment not conducive to learning... BUT give him a free ride to a private school.... I am sure he/she will get into an amazing college
he'd have a hell of a better chance that if he was at an average to below average public school.

"a rising tide lifts all boats"

Old 02-27-2011, 06:35 PM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Back to the point - have the layoffs begun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island