Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
It just goes to show that the teachers are paid a living wage....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:34 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It just goes to show that the teachers are paid a living wage....
Nonsense.....a true determinant of one's financial capacity is shown through their bank account. Please have them show us their bank account with the inflows and outflows.
A house does not paint an accurate picture.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:05 PM

I meant it as a joke...

Old 03-17-2011, 02:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I meant it as a joke...
Maybe where you live it is something the taxpayers can joke about because you don't have teachers' unions and rockstar-compensated superintendants and administrators eating you alive, but around here, no, not a joking matter at all actually.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Maybe where you live it is something the taxpayers can joke about because you don't have teachers' unions and rockstar-compensated superintendants and administrators eating you alive, but around here, no, not a joking matter at all actually.
I meant the video. Your right we don't have the 500 pound gorilla strangling us. But historically comments from the NY metro area view our educations system as primitive at best, boy are they wrong. What does save us is having larger districts or entire county wide districts eliminating redundency's in all services and leadership positions. I have seen you and others post an advocacy to merge some areas or entire districts but that just starts a war.

The educator argument that I can't afford to live where I work is heard even here. Northern Virginia makes the same argument but the answer here is different. For students just coming out of school most people say "Then go elsewhere for a job" They make the choice that location rather than quality of life is more important.

Heaven forbid NY communities should have to share services with the adjoining community. These are issues the counties need to work out. The compensation level for teachers and other public positions is way out of control. Salary is the least of the expense; benefits packages allow the retirees to live better than many who are younger and working.

The taxes will drive out any opportunities to provide relief to those who live there. Thanks to Walter G. us layman can see which school district falls within which town or hamlet but not if cross this street because that is another district that straddles 3 towns with 4 different tax bases.

I hope a solution is found for the whole metro area most of the posters on here like where they live and want to stay but economics are driving them off as well as the next generation of families looking to return or start raising their familes on the island.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
FAKE - neither of them are listed on SEETHRUNY!

Kidding... at least halfway

That was hilarious, though

Old 03-28-2011, 03:38 PM

172 posts, read 292,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Just because they assumed it was a perk is a poor reason to keep the status quo. Real estate agents/brokers thought they should make six figures each year because that is what happened from 2003-2007. Sometimes people have to be smacked with the cold glove of reality.

The world is changing and we are now competing on a global scale in everything. Private employees are now measured in every conceivable way when it comes to performance, why should the public sector be any different? Why should the taxpayers expect anything less from their tax dollars? Because they don't like change? Cry me a river
Like all self employed people, real estate agents always knew that their incomes could fluctuate. I see no reason why one sector of employment should be guaranteed a job.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:52 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunner View Post
Like all self employed people, real estate agents always knew that their incomes could fluctuate. I see no reason why one sector of employment should be guaranteed a job.
I don't see what being self employed has to do with anything? Anyone that thinks they are not at risk of being downsized, excessed, off-shored, or having their income cut is not paying attention. I see no reason why public employees should be exempt from these pressures. Their jobs are no more or less crucial than so many other careers that exist in America.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:40 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
Its sad and Seniors on fixed income can't afford to keep the home they lived in for many years.What are they supposed to do?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Its sad and Seniors on fixed income can't afford to keep the home they lived in for many years.What are they supposed to do?
They are equally responsible for this mess - they voted yes to every budget that was passed, well before they became seniors. Well, the rooster has come home to roost!
Now what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island