Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 09:51 AM

97 posts, read 312,195 times

Advertisements

I live closer to the lynbrook border, but I haven't noticed this - Can anybody report on how bad this issue is? Is everybody in Malverne having this problem?

Officials: Malverne's brown water is safe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,209 times
Dunno, isn't it iron from rusty pipes being worked on?? I think if you let the tap run a few minutes, it clears up. Think it's safe if only temporary and dissipates.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:36 AM

517 posts, read 2,484,516 times
I live in Lynbrook and I've noticed that my hot water is brownish. I heard people discussing this on the train and they said there was a town meeting about it. They were talking about the same info that is written in that link you added. Supposedly new filtering equipment has been installed but will take up to 6 months to show full results. I did watch the news reports which also said that iron levels are excessively high. Again, officials were saying that its not a safety issue, just a clarity issue but I don't completely buy that. Drinking excessive amounts of iron probably has some long term effects. I'm not sure why its hot water that shows it more.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:02 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
officials were saying that its not a safety issue, just a clarity issue but I don't completely buy that.
I'm with you. I wouldn't drink it!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:15 AM

48 posts, read 76,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
I live closer to the lynbrook border, but I haven't noticed this - Can anybody report on how bad this issue is? Is everybody in Malverne having this problem?

It's not just Malverne-it's surrounding areas as well. The discoloration is from iron in the water and a new iron filtration plant was built and should be running in two months.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 AM

48 posts, read 76,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
I live in Lynbrook and I've noticed that my hot water is brownish. I heard people discussing this on the train and they said there was a town meeting about it. They were talking about the same info that is written in that link you added. Supposedly new filtering equipment has been installed but will take up to 6 months to show full results. I did watch the news reports which also said that iron levels are excessively high. Again, officials were saying that its not a safety issue, just a clarity issue but I don't completely buy that. Drinking excessive amounts of iron probably has some long term effects. I'm not sure why its hot water that shows it more.

Hot water shows it more for two reasons.
1. Water is contained to your hot water tank so the iron builds up there because it's concentrated.
2. The water is treated to mask the color for aestetics with silicates. Heating the water breaks down this treatment and makes the iron coloring visable.

We need to keep this in context and remember we are talking about iron-it's a naturally occuring mineral that people injest all the time in their food. Yes it looks unpleasant but it's not like there is arsenic in our water supply. THe plant should help tremendously but I fear Malverne will by known as the village with dirty water for a long time.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,085 times
Default Water treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post

If interested in having a unit for drinking water that purifies your water from the tap please contact me.

The espring unit purifies 99.9% of impurities in your water. Nsf rates unit as top of the line.
Note: In nys there is no regulation on what goes in bottled water.

Visit www.energizeurlife.biz or call 631.274.3423

Ask for steve

Old 02-16-2011, 06:31 PM

166 posts, read 313,588 times
The brown water is not toxic to your health, it's just gross. I wouldn't drink it either, at least not on purpose. But if I did, I'd survive.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,085 times
Wink Brown drinking water

Are you still seeing brown water from your tap?

You may not be able to control your water supply but you definately control and limit just about 99.999% of all the impurities in your water..

We own two in our home..How about at a cost of 13cents a gallon.

The Espring unit can be found here.

For an In home demonstration, call for an appointment.

Rgds,

Steve
Www.energizeurlife.biz

Old 11-04-2012, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,940 times
DARK BROWN water in Lynbrook out of kitchen faucet Nov. 4 @8:30 pm. Does anyone else have this problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island