Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,914 times

Advertisements

I also grew up in Elmont. I went to Clara Carlson, ATS and SHS. I heard that a woman wrote a book about growing up in Elmont. Does anyone know who she is and the name of the book? I live in Va. now and am sad to hear that Elmont isn't the same. I loved it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 02:07 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,489 times
You guys need to relax, it's still the same houses, streets and trees there..

Old 10-16-2010, 06:01 AM

78 posts, read 252,829 times
Fun to read everyone's memories!

I skated at WalCliff (which became Roller Castle), watched movies at the Argo, shopped with mom at Cross Island Fruit, the chicken market and Italian bakery on Meacham, ate at Cirellis. I even remember family shopping trips at Great Eastern...back in the early/mid 70's. Good times in the old neighborhood!!

Old 01-23-2011, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,753 times
I lived in elmont in the early 80's. I wasn't there for very long. I went to alva T. I remember there was a rumor it use to be a prison! lol heres the thing... I met my first LOVE in Elmont. his name is Kevin Gargulo. I've been looking for him online forEVER!! Its been nearly 30 years!! Does anyone know or remember Kevin Gargulo?? I've looked him uo by phone and he's still there..just unpublished;(
Maybe with some great luck someone here will know him...!
IF SO PLZ EMAIL ME!!!!!! [email]poetinthevine@yahoo.com[/email] Michelle

Old 02-11-2011, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,717 times
Just found this forum. Brings back a lot of wonderful memories.
I grew up on Norfeld Blvd, in the 50's and 60's. Graduated EMHS in 1968.
I moved to the west coast in '68 and have never been back.
But a part of my heart will always be there.. at Dutch Broadway, Elmont Memorial, Argo Lanes, cutting through the cemetary to get to Wallcliff, and my house on Norfeld Blvd, which will always be home to me...

Old 02-12-2011, 12:21 AM

372 posts, read 740,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playful View Post
the kids just up and sold their homes......not caring to whom.
so is this some sorta common practice, to not sell your home to people who are not white?

Old 02-12-2011, 12:36 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
so is this some sorta common practice, to not sell your home to people who are not white?
Where did the poster mention anything about "people who are not white"??

Old 02-12-2011, 03:00 PM

581 posts, read 1,243,944 times
why should one care who they are selling their home to?

But I can see where the question comes from since Elmont is predominantly black

Old 08-08-2013, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,110 times
My husband and I both grew up in Elmont off Meachman ave . I spent many happy days at wal cliff skating and in the summer in the pool. I went to Covert Ave elementry, Alvin t stanford junior hight then Sewanhaka High. I miss the way Elmont used to be we had great times . My husband lived up meachman more toward Dutch Broadway . He went to schools in valley stream and high school in Franklin Square called Valley Stream North High. We go back to Elmont every now and then but all the great places are gone . Remember Poppy,s our hang out on Franklin Ave. Oh for the days gone by

Old 11-01-2013, 04:57 AM

2 posts, read 7,063 times
It's really sad what happened there. I'm 68 now but back in the 50s and 60s it was safe and everybody was proud to live in Elmont. As I got into my teens I used to hang out at the Cave on Meacham Ave and Stop 20 dinner. You know one of those guys with the black leather jacket and the collar turned up LOL. I've been back here for 8 yrs but I'm moving to CA next month. I've had it with snow and ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island