Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

^ anything south of Old Country Road really...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontKnow86 View Post
So most would agree that south Hicksville is better? towards Levittown?
I would say that is the nicest part of Hicksville. I am not too far over the border in Levittown (Island Trees) and I love it here. It is very family friendly with many of young people with kids moving in (at least in my section).

I am not sure I would buy in Hicksville in the Hicksville school district. I know a few people that have moved out of Hicksville in the last 2 years because they are unhappy with the school (they have school-aged children). I can't speak from personal experience, but they seemed to think that both the school district and area are declining.

I do love the Indian Restaurants in Hicksville. Kiran Palace and the Dosa Diner are fantastic. They also have a great selection of ethnic stores (Patel Brothers) that I like to sample.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 AM

3,521 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I would say that is the nicest part of Hicksville. I am not too far over the border in Levittown (Island Trees) and I love it here. It is very family friendly with many of young people with kids moving in (at least in my section).

I am not sure I would buy in Hicksville in the Hicksville school district. I know a few people that have moved out of Hicksville in the last 2 years because they are unhappy with the school (they have school-aged children). I can't speak from personal experience, but they seemed to think that both the school district and area are declining.

I do love the Indian Restaurants in Hicksville. Kiran Palace and the Dosa Diner are fantastic. They also have a great selection of ethnic stores (Patel Brothers) that I like to sample.
I actually prefer the east section towards Plainview.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 AM

257 posts, read 751,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontKnow86 View Post
I really knew (and still dont know) nothing about Hicksville. I've found other threads saying the area West of the mall is not good. And that a lot of people from the Middle East are moving there. I'm guessing there is a specific area where they are moving? I don't think the population of Hicksville is 90% Middle Easterns. In fact, based on the 2000 census there are more Latinos than Middle Easterns, but perhaps that has changed in the last 10 years?

If anybody lives, or has lived there recently, what would you say the population of Hicksville is? And are there areas dominated by specific races, or everything is pretty much spread out?

I lived in Hicksville about 5 years ago, and can give you a quick summation of my opinion. We were in an area known North Hicksville by the mall and by Cantiague Park. Most of the streets in this area are names after states and cities if you want to google it. We lived on Nevada St. and liked it a lot.

Pros: Convenient to shopping, LIRR, pretty much everything is close by, town of oyster bay (not hempstead or n hemp) better beach access and general town services, taxes are some of the lowest in the area.

Cons: the high school has had a declining reputation both scholastically and in terms of student behaviors, certainly not charming, kind of industrial...more in some parts than others.

As for ethnicity, the town is certainly multicultural; with a mix of mostly white, Indian and Latino families. I do hear that lately there has also been an increase influx of middle eastern families as well.

Ultimately the only reason we moved was because we intended to send our kids to public HS, if you're willing to compromise on that, you can get a great deal in my opinion. Sometimes I wish we had stayed.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
I actually prefer the east section towards Plainview.
I forgot about this area over by Ketcham on Woodbury Road. That is a nice area as well.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:51 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Compared to the surrounding areas, Hicksville tends to have lower property taxes; sometimes significantly. If you are going to start looking there seriously, when you find a house you like, post on here and the people with the most knowledge of Hicksville can guide you.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,487 times
Nope. I was looking at 2007 SAT scores SAT Scores

Some here have said the high school is not that great.. but from what I have heard, it is atleast as good as Levittown, Island trees etc. I always assumed people who said that are comparing it to Jericho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Do you have a recent list of 2010 SAT scores for LI schools? I remember coming across one but forgot to favorite it and now can't find it.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 AM
grant516

n/a posts
a small part of the north end of hicksville postal code is in the jericho school district.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Nope. I was looking at 2007 SAT scores SAT Scores

Some here have said the high school is not that great.. but from what I have heard, it is atleast as good as Levittown, Island trees etc. I always assumed people who said that are comparing it to Jericho.
I grew up in the area and my mom worked for Bethpage Schools..just retired a month ago. I can tell you that Bethpage and Island Tree's are MUCH better than Hicksville Schools. No comparison. As for Levittown, when I was looking for a house in the areas, I tried to stay away from Division HS. Out of Division and Macarthur HS, Macarthur is the more desirable. Hicksville as far as I know is not rated the same as Bethpage or Island Tree's District.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I grew up in the area and my mom worked for Bethpage Schools..just retired a month ago. I can tell you that Bethpage and Island Tree's are MUCH better than Hicksville Schools. No comparison. As for Levittown, when I was looking for a house in the areas, I tried to stay away from Division HS. Out of Division and Macarthur HS, Macarthur is the more desirable. Hicksville as far as I know is not rated the same as Bethpage or Island Tree's District.
I thought similar to you in the sense that Hicksville schools are not as good as the surrounding districts like Bethpage, Levittown, Island Trees, etc. I don't think Hicksville schools are bad, just not rated as well as the others in score and opinion. That was part of the reason I avoided Hicksville in my house search and instead purchased a home in Island Trees. (The only other school I avoided was Division HS). This opinion seems to be held by a lot of people in the area, some of whom helped guide our home search.

People on here are ranking it by SAT score, which to me, is not really a reflection of the school district. Perhaps the school report cards could give a more accurate idea of education results. I do believe that you can do much worse on LI than Hicksville schools, but I also believe the surrounding towns and schools are a little better/more desirable in this regard for around the same price. IMHO

Last edited by llama8; 02-24-2011 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island