Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
Is there a way to cross-post this thread? I'd love to hear feedback from the Westchester folk.
Not exactly....but I copied the first post of your thread and re-posted it in the Westchester forum.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 12:59 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not sure if I would say they are a wealthier county, they seem to have more of a mixed bag and more extremes than Nassau. For example mean income and per capita income are higher in Westchester than Nassau, but median incomes are higher in Nassau than Westchester. Poverty levels are also higher in Westchester than Nassau. More households and families have incomes in excess of $200,000 in Westchester than Nassau, but more households and families have incomes under $50,000 in Westchester than in Nassau.
I agree but visually Westchester is wealthier. Westchester's poverty is much more centered in its inner city areas( mount Vernon and certain towns (Port Chester). Driving through Westchester you get an upper middle class feeling. Nassau and Suffolk has more of a middle class and lower middle class feeling. However areas like Levittown that were working class have become middle class but still look working class.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Not sure if I would say they are a wealthier county, they seem to have more of a mixed bag and more extremes than Nassau. For example mean income and per capita income are higher in Westchester than Nassau, but median incomes are higher in Nassau than Westchester. Poverty levels are also higher in Westchester than Nassau. More households and families have incomes in excess of $200,000 in Westchester than Nassau, but more households and families have incomes under $50,000 in Westchester than in Nassau.
BTW, Per capita income is the better guide to true wealth. Westchester's inner cities and a few towns have some really low income areas that make Hempstead and Roosevelt look wealthy. Nassau has some tiny ultra weathy villages on the North Shore and Five towns that gives the illusion that Nassau is very wealthy. Westchester will always have a lower median income because of their small pockets of poverty and Nassau will always enjoy their high imedian income because those low populated villages have such extreme wealth. Don't be fooled by the stats of median income. Just take a drive through the typical Westchester town and the typical Nassau town and decide which is wealthier. I grew up and love Long Island but I would have to be blind or in denial not to realize Westchester is wealthier.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
::atiently waiting for someone from the Westchester forum to chime in:::
I doubt that will happen. People in the Westchester forum rarely get involved in these types of debates.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Those in Westchester have welcomed development, private industry and have seen major developments to their tax base because of it.

They have apartments in middle and upper Westchester without chaos having broken out there.

As a whole they have a great disparity between their lower class, and upper class- and far less middle class bickering.

The majority of people from this LI forum are not from Port Washington, Great Neck, Sea Cliff, Manhasset, Oyster Bay or Roosevelt, Wyandanch, Uniondale... the ones who are at peace with their situations and what is going on around them.

Most Long Islanders are constantly finding themselves priced out of the Middle Class, and downright upset about it- lashing out to anyone who makes more than them, paid on their dollar.

Long Islanders suffer from worse traffic and a slower, more expensive per-mile-traveled rail system.

Westchester Teachers are on average, paid more than Long Island Teachers.
Police, however, are paid more in Nassau/Suffolk.

I will tell you however, that Weschester Students in their schools are more than twice as likely to go away to a college more than 50 miles away from their home.

Perhaps teenagers themselves are the cause for all complaints.
I kinda don't agree. Westchester has a large middle class but it leans toward upper middle class where Nassau leans more toward middle class and lower middle class. You can see it in the home styles (Westchester's typical Colonial and Tudor mansions as compared to Nassau's smaller capes and split ranches), sizes of the homes and property sizes. Westchester homes have a tendency to be larger and have more property from default. The topography is less flat and rocky preventing less mass produced housing.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Not exactly....but I copied the first post of your thread and re-posted it in the Westchester forum.
Just as I thought. Only 4 poster bothered to venture into reading it and not one poster responded to it. They don't get into petty fight like which town is better ex. Massapequa or Rocky Point, Suffolk vs. Nassau. Even I'm guilty of getting involved in that nonsense. Or debasing low income areas like you see here, ex. read any thread on Hempstead, Wyandanch, New Cassel or Roosevelt. I found it interesting that they had so many posters that had positive comments about town like Peekskill, Port Chester, Ossining or Mount Vernon. If those towns were on Long Island they would be written off as ghettos and "no go" places.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:20 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
BTW, Per capita income is the better guide to true wealth. Westchester's inner cities and a few towns have some really low income areas that make Hempstead and Roosevelt look wealthy. Nassau has some tiny ultra weathy villages on the North Shore and Five towns that gives the illusion that Nassau is very wealthy. Westchester will always have a lower median income because of their small pockets of poverty and Nassau will always enjoy their high imedian income because those low populated villages have such extreme wealth. Don't be fooled by the stats of median income. Just take a drive through the typical Westchester town and the typical Nassau town and decide which is wealthier. I grew up and love Long Island but I would have to be blind or in denial not to realize Westchester is wealthier.
Well the low populated villages wouldn't impact median income that much since the population is fairly low, it would however impact mean incomes (which is higher in Westchester).

Anyway I would say that Westchester has more of a population that fits both extremes of wealth and poverty than Nassau has, and Nassau has more middle class

Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Well the low populated villages wouldn't impact median income that much since the population is fairly low, it would however impact mean incomes (which is higher in Westchester).

Anyway I would say that Westchester has more of a population that fits both extremes of wealth and poverty than Nassau has, and Nassau has more middle class
Actually it does. That one person making a billion a year will skew the number much higher in the median not accounting for the many who are making just one million a year. The same works in the reverse for those few who have very little income. Per capita gives a more realistic idea of the wealth of an area.

I agree most Nassau town are much more homogenous in its wealth. You don't find many town with the "other side of the track" neighborhoods like you do in Westchester and Southern Fairfield.

Once again Nassau's middle class just leans towards the lower end where as Westchester middle class is more upscale. What you think is wealthy is actually upper middle class. Westchester's towns are dominated by upper middle class neighborhoods. They have very few towns like Oyster Bay Cove, Sands Point, the Brookvilles, Hewlett Harbor or Laurel Hollow Their towns are more similar in wealth to Garden City, Dix Hills, Cold Spring Harbor or Manhasset.

Last edited by 1nevets; 02-27-2011 at 03:02 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 03:21 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Actually it does. That one person making a billion a year will skew the number much higher in the median not accounting for the many who are making just one million a year. The same works in the reverse for those few who have very little income. Per capita gives a more realistic idea of the wealth of an area.

I agree most Nassau town are much more homogenous in its wealth. You don't find many town with the "other side of the track" neighborhoods like you do in Westchester and Southern Fairfield.

Once again Nassau's middle class just leans towards the lower end where as Westchester middle class is more upscale. What you think is wealthy is actually upper middle class. Westchester's towns are dominated by upper middle class neighborhoods. They have very few towns like Oyster Bay Cove, Sands Point, the Brookvilles, Hewlett Harbor or Laurel Hollow Their towns are more similar in wealth to Garden City, Dix Hills, Cold Spring Harbor or Manhasset.
You are confusing median and mean. The person making the $ billion is actually going to have a much bigger impact on the mean income numbers, as well as the per capita income numbers than they would on the median income numbers.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Just as I thought. Only 4 poster bothered to venture into reading it and not one poster responded to it. They don't get into petty fight like which town is better ex. Massapequa or Rocky Point, Suffolk vs. Nassau. Even I'm guilty of getting involved in that nonsense. Or debasing low income areas like you see here, ex. read any thread on Hempstead, Wyandanch, New Cassel or Roosevelt. I found it interesting that they had so many posters that had positive comments about town like Peekskill, Port Chester, Ossining or Mount Vernon. If those towns were on Long Island they would be written off as ghettos and "no go" places.
Hmm....speaks for itself, doesn't it?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island