Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Babylon Village can be a tad snooty like Huntington.

Crooks

As always, it depends on where - Location, location, location

P.S.: I'm gonna be showing houses in Sound Beach this weekend....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 PM

166 posts, read 533,012 times
I thought about that too for my kids... and I am thinking to do the following:
- live where I want
- Nothing is as humbling for a kid as sending them to boarding school. They will realize they aren't as smart as they thought they were. They can't depend on the parents sheltering as much. They will be with kids from all economical and cultural backgrounds, and quickly learn the world isn’t as homogonous as they thought it was. To get your ass kicked academically and athletically will put a kid straight.
- My wife doesn’t share the same idea, so I have some time to work on that.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
As always, it depends on where - Location, location, location

P.S.: I'm gonna be showing houses in Sound Beach this weekend....
Thats true.

Cool on SB where are your buyers from?
(Id put Sound Beach on OPs list too)

Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,105 times
Bellport Village? The schools aren't great but that's more because averaging a 100, 100, and a 0 will give you 66 and change, if you catch my drift.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Where do you plan to work? Is commuting a concern for you?

How close do you want to be to your family?

Preference in property size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
I maybe moving back to LI in a couple years and have been gone for a decade. I grew up middle class, and have been told that with what I make and my net worth that I should live in CSH, Rosyln, Manhasset, or even Plandome. The problem is some of our friends kids when we lived there from those areas were spoiled and ungreatful. I want my children to grow up around kids who are hard working, but havent had an easy go of it in life. I guess what Im saying is I want a working class community with great schools. Does somewhere like that exist anymore? All input appreciated thanks!

What do you mean by hardworking? As in physical labor like working on the yard, around the house, etc.? If so, I don't see that anywhere these days.

I live in the Harborfields SD and think we have a pretty good mix economically.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:20 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,701 times
Maybe Nesconset or Kings Park

Old 02-24-2011, 07:54 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
If you are looking for a middle class hard working neighborhood, I suggest Kings Park. I didn't realize how middle class, working families were in the area until I moved there. The school is a good district too. Once in a while I have kids knocking at my door to do my snow removal...that's hardly found on LI anymore. I think KP in more of a middle class blue collar neighborhood than white collar. I'm not sure what you are looking into more. Also, it depends where you will be working yourself. We are on the Port Jefferson railroad line which is diesel until you get to Huntington Railroad station. Then it becomes electric which means more trains running than diesel. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
Beware of East Northport should LIPA win its law suite on land assessment the school taxes will go way up.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
Bellport Village? The schools aren't great but that's more because averaging a 100, 100, and a 0 will give you 66 and change, if you catch my drift.
I agree Bellport Village is really beautiful just a little lost in the rough.

So of S Country is stunning.

Crooks

Old 02-24-2011, 01:27 PM

81 posts, read 197,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Would you consider Babylon??

Babylon Village is nice, but wife and I are more of a North Shore small town New Englandish type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island