Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
My BIL/SIL live in St John's Golf and Country Club. They are very happy. The homes are new, but smaller and close together. You can buy a new 4br, 2.5bath with no basement and about 2300 sqft, for 200K right now. Not too bad. They have a huge community pool and the kids have tons of friends and it is a very laid back area. Probably b/c it is not by the water like your sister. They love it. Haven't heard about the wild boars; only the gators (not a big problem) and the spiders. The spiders alone keep me away!

My parents live on a canal in a lovely community in Palm Coast. It really is quite nice and perfect for them. I wouldn't rule out retiring there considering you have so much family there. Good luck!
It's a tough call. The house across the street went up for sale and sold within 2 weeks -- I didn't have enough time to get there to check it out. It was a fixer-upper and went for $240K. While it would be nice to be so close to family, they've been gone from NY 15-16 years and I am used to being solo (so-to-speak) up here.

My sister and BIL live very close to your family -- cross 95 and take Nocatee east. Probably no further than we are here on LI. Small world gets smaller.

The armadillos are sort of interesting but the spiders are something else. *shudder*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 04:45 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Have you decided to call it Quits in NY? Why and were Ya going? How hard was this deceision for you? Its very bittersweet for us,,,SW Fl for us,,reasons cost of living,,and impossible to do and stay in Business in NY,,,will do something completely different down S,,,
Moved out nearly 20 years ago. NYC/LI has numerous positives to stay there. To list all the negatives against the area is just being bitter. Each person has their own set of items that may be small to others but becomes big to them. The things that probably made me want to move out of NYS (and I tried living in NYC & Suffolk for years) were noise, traffic and filth. I probably spent about a year flying down to different states to visit friends and gain information on actual living in other states. I found the best standard of living to be in was Virginia. Got a lateral transfer from the company I worked for, rented an apartment and leased furniture for it. Packed up the car and moved. As to my home in NY - I subletted it out. Spent about a year dealing with multiple adjustments. Got my reality check and weighed the pluses and minuses. And decided to stay.
for each year that I thought NYC/LI pluses were important to pull mr back, I found a VA plus to bslance it out. Think of as quitting smoking. The first year or two is just an upward battle. But after enough years the smell of cigarettes are nearly nauseating.

If I have yearning for something from NYC/LI and internet ordering will not suffice, I get onto an airplane, fly up, get a full day car service driver, do what I got to do and fly back out that same evening (its been three years since my last yearning for an outing).

Hope this info helps in what I considered the correct way to make the decision or not.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:20 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Moved out nearly 20 years ago. NYC/LI has numerous positives to stay there. To list all the negatives against the area is just being bitter. Each person has their own set of items that may be small to others but becomes big to them. The things that probably made me want to move out of NYS (and I tried living in NYC & Suffolk for years) were noise, traffic and filth. I probably spent about a year flying down to different states to visit friends and gain information on actual living in other states. I found the best standard of living to be in was Virginia. Got a lateral transfer from the company I worked for, rented an apartment and leased furniture for it. Packed up the car and moved. As to my home in NY - I subletted it out. Spent about a year dealing with multiple adjustments. Got my reality check and weighed the pluses and minuses. And decided to stay.
for each year that I thought NYC/LI pluses were important to pull mr back, I found a VA plus to bslance it out. Think of as quitting smoking. The first year or two is just an upward battle. But after enough years the smell of cigarettes are nearly nauseating.

If I have yearning for something from NYC/LI and internet ordering will not suffice, I get onto an airplane, fly up, get a full day car service driver, do what I got to do and fly back out that same evening (its been three years since my last yearning for an outing).

Hope this info helps in what I considered the correct way to make the decision or not.
Are you still "subletting your NY home" twenty years later?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's a tough call. The house across the street went up for sale and sold within 2 weeks -- I didn't have enough time to get there to check it out. It was a fixer-upper and went for $240K. While it would be nice to be so close to family, they've been gone from NY 15-16 years and I am used to being solo (so-to-speak) up here.

My sister and BIL live very close to your family -- cross 95 and take Nocatee east. Probably no further than we are here on LI. Small world gets smaller.

The armadillos are sort of interesting but the spiders are something else. *shudder*
Florida has THOSE too?

I wouldn't get too close. People in Texas and Louisiana have caught leprosy from handling them.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Are you still "subletting your NY home" twenty years later?
Mom had moved into it. She passed in 2008 so I sold it.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 AM

196 posts, read 504,425 times
thank you all,,,OK for the folks considering Fl afraid of the bugs,,,do what I am going to do,,get one of those long wanded bug vacumes,,I plan on having it in my car so I am locked and loaded when its time!! lolol,,VA is beautiful,,had homes on the Eastern shore for over 14 yrs,,,might end up retiring back there after 20 yrs in FL,,if I ever get there,,the purpose of this thread was to see if folks had gone thru the painstaking decesion to go,,if easy for some and really hard for others. DID EVERYONE START TO PUSH YOU AWAY, NOT CALL,, opps,,there was a distence between you and your frinds,,this happened BIG TIME to us,,NY is most definatly the center of the Universe,,,you do pay the price to be in it. I have gathered its the cost driving you folks out as we too plan on going as soon as someone buys our home. and yes the best way to get to know an area is to be there,,well for now while this continues I will leave you all with a Statistic,,in the last 11 yrs,,11 million have flead NY state,,they all can't be wrong~

Old 03-03-2011, 04:52 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobeach View Post
thank you all,,,OK for the folks considering Fl afraid of the bugs,,,do what I am going to do,,get one of those long wanded bug vacumes,,I plan on having it in my car so I am locked and loaded when its time!! lolol,,VA is beautiful,,had homes on the Eastern shore for over 14 yrs,,,might end up retiring back there after 20 yrs in FL,,if I ever get there,,the purpose of this thread was to see if folks had gone thru the painstaking decesion to go,,if easy for some and really hard for others. DID EVERYONE START TO PUSH YOU AWAY, NOT CALL,, opps,,there was a distence between you and your frinds,,this happened BIG TIME to us,,NY is most definatly the center of the Universe,,,you do pay the price to be in it. I have gathered its the cost driving you folks out as we too plan on going as soon as someone buys our home. and yes the best way to get to know an area is to be there,,well for now while this continues I will leave you all with a Statistic,,in the last 11 yrs,,11 million have flead NY state,,they all can't be wrong~
11 million may have fled but that doesn't mean they are all happy about it. A lot of people leave due to financial reasons not b/c they want to, and a lot of people don't like it and believe it or not, end up moving back. A lot of people actually like LI contrary to what you might believe.

And it's FLED, not FLEAD.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
DID EVERYONE START TO PUSH YOU AWAY, NOT CALL,

through the years: Yes. At a point you decide they were never real friends anyway. The rest end up as FB friends and if they have never travelled south, they never will. Out of the numerous people I knew who moved back to NY were ones who could not live without this connection to the old way of life. Its just one of the things that need to be thought out.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Florida has THOSE too?

I wouldn't get too close. People in Texas and Louisiana have caught leprosy from handling them.

There's one who trips my dad's motion sensor lights every evening. I ran out to get a picture of it -- we both scared each other and ran. LOL

Old 03-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobeach View Post
thank you all,,,OK for the folks considering Fl afraid of the bugs,,,do what I am going to do,,get one of those long wanded bug vacumes,,I plan on having it in my car so I am locked and loaded when its time!! lolol,,
The bug wands and the name of a reliable exterminator are good things to have there. My BIL had no allergies up here, but has to carry an epi-pen down there because of some bug he's allergic to. He's more of the exception than the rule, but it's scary stuff either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island