U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2011, 09:27 AM

6 posts, read 9,589 times
Default Intern looking for LI apartment in August 2011...

Hi,
I'm from CT but planning on beginning a dietetic internship on LI (nassau county) in mid august. I realize that looking for apartments now is a little on the early side but I'm just getting some ideas. My parents and boyfriend would be covering the cost of the apartment since my internship does not pay. I've browsed around on craigslist a few times...are there any other reliable sites out there for apartments? I'm looking for something $1000-1500/month rent w/ utilities included. It seems that living in an apartment complex is much more expensive compared to living in a private apartment in someone's home, however I'd prefer an apartment that's not a basement. A safe area is obviously preferred as well. It would be me and my boyfriend living there...no pets. He works full time in W. Hempstead. We wouldn't want to be more than 20 minutes from there...maybe 30 min. Any advice on where to look? Also, when should I seriously begin looking and contacting apartment owners? I think now is too early. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:40 AM
grant516

n/a posts
At your price point, you're pretty much stuck renting a part of someone's home- unless you can find one of those rare smaller apt's above a business. There are lots of great apartments within peoples home, some are a 2nd floor, some the main floor of a home, and yes... some the basement.

LI (especially Nassau) has a big beef against building apartment complexes, because the government systems are completely out of line with 2010 reality (as the majority of them are baby boomers).

You're best to begin your search aprox. 1 month before you intend to move.

You can also consider some parts of queens for rentals. You will have a better selection at that price point, but a more complicated drive to work. Depending on the hours you work, certainly can be less than 25 minutes though.

Best luck.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:47 PM

924 posts, read 1,077,413 times
Yeah, you are going to have a hard time finding an apartment at those rates. Especially in some kind of apartment complex, because we basically have two types on Long Island. The first, 55 and older which are usually very nice an affordable, but you need to be a senior. The second type, Section 8 specials which are probably too run down and the prolific Sec 8 program in NY will push them out of your price range.

Your options are to find something on the outskirts of Queens that is affordable or rent something in someone's house. I would look at Queens, but the commute will probably be a bit longer than your goal. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:09 PM

15,690 posts, read 15,813,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0616 View Post
Hi,
I'm from CT but planning on beginning a dietetic internship on LI (nassau county) in mid august. I realize that looking for apartments now is a little on the early side but I'm just getting some ideas. My parents and boyfriend would be covering the cost of the apartment since my internship does not pay. I've browsed around on craigslist a few times...are there any other reliable sites out there for apartments? I'm looking for something $1000-1500/month rent w/ utilities included. It seems that living in an apartment complex is much more expensive compared to living in a private apartment in someone's home, however I'd prefer an apartment that's not a basement. A safe area is obviously preferred as well. It would be me and my boyfriend living there...no pets. He works full time in W. Hempstead. We wouldn't want to be more than 20 minutes from there...maybe 30 min. Any advice on where to look? Also, when should I seriously begin looking and contacting apartment owners? I think now is too early. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!
Anything with ALL utilities included in Nassau County is an illegal apartment. If your tenancy is reported to the authorities, you can be kicked out of there and have to start all over again.

Legal rental apartments in Nassau County always have the tenant pay their own electricity. If you look at an apartment where you do not have your own meter to pay your own electricity in Nassau County, it is illegal and I would advise you to bypass it.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Thanks so much for all of this information! It has really helped. I did not know about the utilities and legal apartment thing...that is DEFINITELY good to know. Most of the apartments advertised on craigslist seem to be illegal then. Is there anywhere else I can look besides craigslist? Also, do all legal apartments have brokers fees?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 PM

6,043 posts, read 6,906,186 times
Would you consider buying an apartment? Reason i say is because I'm looking to sell mine and it would actually cost you less per month to own it (or virtually anything for that matter) than it would for you to rent it...and i think you would be the perfect fit for it...since it's a studio and it's just you living there. Not to mention I'm literally a block from the beach and you get a parking spot included.

Let me know if it's something you'd be willing to consider. It's a gorgeous apartment and fantastic location. Also, not an illegal apartment- totally legal, building apartment.

(By the way congrats on the internship. My sister studies dietetics and she has yet to secure an internship after 2 tries applying).

Old 02-25-2011, 02:09 PM

15,690 posts, read 15,813,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0616 View Post
Thanks so much for all of this information! It has really helped. I did not know about the utilities and legal apartment thing...that is DEFINITELY good to know. Most of the apartments advertised on craigslist seem to be illegal then. Is there anywhere else I can look besides craigslist? Also, do all legal apartments have brokers fees?
No they don't. Some owners of rental properties advertise themselves and some complexes have their own websites.

But beware when dealing with brokers, even though it is AGAINST THE LAW for them to represent illegal apartments, some of them do anyway, and will charge you a fee for them.

You can look on MLSLI.com

On the left menu bar, it has a section called "Rental Properties."

Old 02-25-2011, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the offer but since I wouldn't be the one paying for the apartment I can't really make that decision. I doubt my parents would want to purchase an apartment...the internship is 10 months so after that, they don't plan on giving me anymore money haha. And thanks for the congrats...i'm pretty excited!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM

oh thanks so much for that website, I_Love_LI!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:09 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,031,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Would you consider buying an apartment? Reason i say is because I'm looking to sell mine and it would actually cost you less per month to own it (or virtually anything for that matter) than it would for you to rent it...and i think you would be the perfect fit for it...since it's a studio and it's just you living there. Not to mention I'm literally a block from the beach and you get a parking spot included.

Let me know if it's something you'd be willing to consider. It's a gorgeous apartment and fantastic location. Also, not an illegal apartment- totally legal, building apartment.
k0616 stated that she has a non-paying internship and somebody else is helping to pay her rent. Surely you don't imagine she can BUY an apartment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island