Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:01 PM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
But that goes against the foundation of collective bargaining, being paid more based on merit is a contradiction to 'collective' bargaining. Take away the unions and good teachers could be rewarded and bad teachers would have to improve or suffer with no promotions and bonuses like the good teachers.

Watch "Waiting for Superman", as the documentary describes the system and the struggle with unions.
I'm not suggesting their pay be tied to merit, but their position itself.

Meet 85% of the requests, and suggested gains of the school board, that you collaboratively agree upon, or you're contract will be terminated with no chance of renewal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
I think your idea of attaching performance to administrators is a great idea, but don't just relegate it to the poorer districts. Super's in Commack should still have to justify their salary by showing an upward trend in standardized scores, acceptance rates, and other quantitative measures. I've never met anyone that made over $250,000 per year that wasn't highly accountable to their employers. In this case, I see very little measurable change in a lot of districts because of all these fancy degrees by these Superintendents.
I believe the majority of those school districts goal is to maintain such scores, acceptance rates, etc. It's difficult to raise test scores from a 95% passing to a 98% passing, vs. a much more attainable gain to change for 30% passing to 50% passing in a poorer district. It requires a completely different teaching strategy, and likely more classroom instruction time.

I don't think quantitative data is a tell all in the school district- if in Commack the residents main complaint is taxes; then the jobs of the school district for the most part are being met and people are just whining.

Public servants shouldn't be punished if the system they work for is succeeding in its job.

However in instances where a SD is failing, or a public transit system is crumbling, or the TSA (who isn't unionized but paid for by the Govt) just recently botched up- there's no reason we should keep these people.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM

929 posts, read 2,067,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
I believe the majority of those school districts goal is to maintain such scores, acceptance rates, etc. It's difficult to raise test scores from a 95% passing to a 98% passing, vs. a much more attainable gain to change for 30% passing to 50% passing in a poorer district. It requires a completely different teaching strategy, and likely more classroom instruction time.

I don't think quantitative data is a tell all in the school district- if in Commack the residents main complaint is taxes; then the jobs of the school district for the most part are being met and people are just whining.

Public servants shouldn't be punished if the system they work for is succeeding in its job.

However in instances where a SD is failing, or a public transit system is crumbling, or the TSA (who isn't unionized but paid for by the Govt) just recently botched up- there's no reason we should keep these people.
So, what you are saying is that if the district is doing well, then the taxpayers should pay whatever the administrations demands so they can "sustain" the success? If they complain about the over bearing burden of high taxes then they are just "whining?"

What about the fact that the area is a wealthy area and will naturally have higher graduation, test, and acceptance scores?

Can you tell me of a school district on Long Island where they are outperforming their socio-economic bracket? Because, as far as I've seen, they all kind of fall right in line.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:28 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
i believe administrators work 11-12 month cycles, which even with generous holidays, I wouldn't call a part time job.

... or is a part time job anything less than every weekday, 2 weeks vacation a year, and 2 sick days? ... if so the entire EU is working a part time job! - what a lazy bunch.

Nobody needs to repay the taxpayers anything- they've got their quality schools, with a board they elected, who wrote the salaries for the people they're complaining about.

It's a directly changeable system, I doubt its easy... but these people are not appointed by untouchable government figures.

It does however seem like a dick thing to do, to run for school board, under the pretense that schools have enough, and it's time to take away from teachers and staff, and students. It does sound however like a really attractive lower-middle class platform.

... but I say go for it. Bacci Balls is 2011!
There is little or no oversight of superintendents by the school board, especially during the summer. I don't see any cars parked at the school during the summer and other lengthy school closings. I sincerely doubt there is much oversight by a part time school board president over the superintendents even though required. You are right about this not being an upper class issue though, if places like Syosset can't get excited by paying over $800K in salary for 2 adminsitrators you have to wonder what it would take.

Do you not think schools place a burden on the middle class? The truth is that anyone running from outside the system will be viewed as anti-student if they want to cut costs. Good luck running for school board if you don't have kids in school, and very few parents on the boards are willing to
do anything that might be construed as "not for the kids".

The teachers contract should be part of the vote in the year it comes up for renewal and either rejected or accepted by the community, not just the school board.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:28 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
Quote:
Under the measure, no superintendent could earn a salary greater than the governor, $179,000. The cap would impact 209 superintendents - and the overwhelming majority of superintendents on Long Island - who currently earn more than $179,000, topped by Syosset Superintendent Carole Hankin, who earns $386,868. All told, 319 superintendents would be impacted by the change to the scale proposed by the governor.
1. It's about time someone caught on to that $386,868.

2. Newsday, get some grammar, please. You mean, "affect" not "impact." Moreover, that last sentence is atrocious. The way it is written implies that the governor proposed the scale, not the change to the scale. It should be, "All told, 319 superintendents would be affected by the proposed change."

No, I'm not being petty. It's hard to take Newsday seriously when they publish writing that bad.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:41 PM

257 posts, read 750,869 times
Can you tell me of a school district on Long Island where they are outperforming their socio-economic bracket? Because, as far as I've seen, they all kind of fall right in line.[/quote]

Oyster Bay. Yes, it is a wealthy area, but if you look at the SES of the student population that attends the PUBLIC schools, and compare the stats I think you'll be impressed...

Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 PM

929 posts, read 2,067,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
Oyster Bay. Yes, it is a wealthy area, but if you look at the SES of the student population that attends the PUBLIC schools, and compare the stats I think you'll be impressed...

Honestly, just by looking at the numbers it looks like the education/income level of Oyster Bay is way above average compared to NY and the test scores are just above average compared to NY. This is from data on the CD site.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Oyster-Bay-New-York.html

http://www.city-data.com/school/oyster-bay-high-school.html

The most surprising number is the increase in median income for Oyster Bay over the past 10 years.

"Estimated median household income in 2009: $79,802 (it was $57,993 in 2000)"

I think that many people moving with higher incomes might attribute to the perceived increase you see.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:08 PM

172 posts, read 292,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm assuming this relates to new contracts. The Governor can't just void contracts at his own whim.
Why not? My friend is an airline captain. He unceremoniously had is salary and pension cut. That's what happens when the company is not making money and the boss can't pay you anymore. We are the boss, we are not making money and can't pay these obscene salaries and benefits anymore.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:30 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunner View Post
Why not? My friend is an airline captain. He unceremoniously had is salary and pension cut. That's what happens when the company is not making money and the boss can't pay you anymore. We are the boss, we are not making money and can't pay these obscene salaries and benefits anymore.
The superintendents have contracts and usually have a clause that they will not be paid less than the first year of the contract. The contracts range from 3 to 5 years so it would take some timm for a cap to take effect but still worthwhile. I am not sure how the remainder of the administrative positions work, assistant superintendents, principals, etc.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Syosset Superintendent Carole Hankin, who earns $386,868
What a salary for 10 schools and an enrollemnt of @6,700, our average Sup make $200K in districts with 26 - 50+ schools and enrollements from 19k - 59k students.

I realise the economy is different but she must be walking on water to garner that kind of compensation....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island