Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 AM

23 posts, read 90,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibs Mkski View Post
This is the pages that I've been combing through. I just wish it was easier to determine what the codes were. It should have a chart of spaces and distances required for everything which would certainly make the process easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 AM

25 posts, read 119,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisfromLI View Post
This is the pages that I've been combing through. I just wish it was easier to determine what the codes were. It should have a chart of spaces and distances required for everything which would certainly make the process easier.
I agree. It's very difficult to navigate and the search function seems useless.

Not sure if you did this but when you go to ToB's main page, on the left side you see "codes", click town code and under Part II general legislation you see chapter 93 building construction codes. Click that and you see plumbing. Might be easier to find what you're looking for there. (didn't do me any good though).

Really want a concrete answer about the egress window. It seems gray to me. Some things I've read say no bedroom, no egress needed

Old 03-01-2011, 09:52 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Really want a concrete answer about the egress window. It seems gray to me. Some things I've read say no bedroom, no egress needed
I had a finished basement and a secondary means of egress was required. A bedroom in the basement had nothing to do with it - simply finished was enough to warrant another form of egress (at least in the Town of North Hempstead).

Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I had a finished basement and a secondary means of egress was required. A bedroom in the basement had nothing to do with it - simply finished was enough to warrant another form of egress (at least in the Town of North Hempstead).
Thank you, that seems to be the consensus.
Through deductive reasoning I can conclude that the state of the electrical work in my house, coupled with the need for a secondary means of egress, makes it pretty obvious that there is no C of O for my bathroom or any other part of my basement. The bank's appraiser didn't flag this, more disappointingly, MY home inspector didn't question it. The house transaction went through smooth as silk so I didn't bat an eye. Somehow, the assessor got wind of it, which is puzzling.

It's safe and effective space so I'm happy...thanks

Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Thank you, that seems to be the consensus.
Through deductive reasoning I can conclude that the state of the electrical work in my house, coupled with the need for a secondary means of egress, makes it pretty obvious that there is no C of O for my bathroom or any other part of my basement. The bank's appraiser didn't flag this, more disappointingly, MY home inspector didn't question it. The house transaction went through smooth as silk so I didn't bat an eye. Somehow, the assessor got wind of it, which is puzzling.

It's safe and effective space so I'm happy...thanks
Yes, the logic being that if a basement is finished, you'll be spending more time down there even if that time isn't spent sleeping. Some of what towns require for a CO is a bunch of nonsense but I do agree with the second form of egress in a finished basement. I always felt better knowing there was another way out in case of a fire. Obviously, if there was a fire and the main stairwell was engulfed, you'd be a sitting duck without another way out. That is strange how the town seems to know about it and no one said anything when you bought the house.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Yes, the logic being that if a basement is finished, you'll be spending more time down there even if that time isn't spent sleeping. Some of what towns require for a CO is a bunch of nonsense but I do agree with the second form of egress in a finished basement. I always felt better knowing there was another way out in case of a fire. Obviously, if there was a fire and the main stairwell was engulfed, you'd be a sitting duck without another way out. That is strange how the town seems to know about it and no one said anything when you bought the house.
I have all new windows down there, except one, the old single pane hinged type. It probably doesn't meet code requirements as an egress (too high off the floor, not enough area) but I'm >300 lbs and if the house was burning, I'D fit through it..yea it'd hurt but the will to survive and adrenaline would kinda factor in there..I totally agree with it being a necessity regardless of code...my kids play down there and I have 3 smoke detectors...but I'm sure we could all escape safely..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island