Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:16 AM

142 posts, read 264,277 times

Advertisements

No...this doesn't include a long complaint on how police officers are overpaid on Long Island..blah blah blah (though it may be true).

I was driving to work today and made a few observations about a SCPD car that was driving behind me. I headed into a left turn lane to make a left on a Sunrise Highway overpass, only to see the police officer behind me cut the car off behind him without using a signal to go in the same turn lane. I look in my mirror and notice he is talking on his cellphone while holding the phone in his left hand (hence why the signal was not activated).

At this point, I just shake my head and go "pretty typical." However, what really got me going is what happened next....after making the left, I'm driving down the road with the same police officer behind me. At this point, I'm in a school zone where the speed limit is 20 MPH. I'm going about 23MPH for the quarter mile stretch and during that whole time the officer is severely tailgating me. I finally get to the end of the road where we parted ways...myself turning right and the officer turning left....without a turn signal.

To avoid this just being a rant, I guess I'll end this with a question....
How are the terrible drivers on Long Island supposed to obey the law and learn anything on the road when the very people who are supposed to lead by example and hand out tickets for this type of behavior exhibit it themselves on a daily basis?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:25 AM

330 posts, read 722,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstigs View Post
How are the terrible drivers on Long Island supposed to obey the law and learn anything on the road when the very people who are supposed to lead by example and hand out tickets for this type of behavior exhibit it themselves on a daily basis?
The intent of police road patrols is not to shape the bad drivers into good drivers but to generate revenue for the village/city/county/state. Especially in Nassau County where the NCPD has almost nothing to do, their main purpose is to give out tickets. If all the "bad" drivers became good drivers the county would lose a huge chunk of income and might have to raise taxes to an even more ridiculous level in order to make up for it.

So, the police here are mostly meter maids with guns whose main purpose is revenue generation, as evidenced by their sad display of power when setting up exit ramp checkpoints in hopes of catching old ladies with expired inspections.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,230,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
The intent of police road patrols is not to shape the bad drivers into good drivers but to generate revenue for the village/city/county/state. Especially in Nassau County where the NCPD has almost nothing to do, their main purpose is to give out tickets. If all the "bad" drivers became good drivers the county would lose a huge chunk of income and might have to raise taxes to an even more ridiculous level in order to make up for it.

So, the police here are mostly meter maids with guns whose main purpose is revenue generation, as evidenced by their sad display of power when setting up exit ramp checkpoints in hopes of catching old ladies with expired inspections.

I am not Mr Pro-Cop but lets see what you think if you ever have to call them...I have, and the their response was outstanding. I think they are paid too much for what they do but that is another story.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:30 AM

330 posts, read 722,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I am not Mr Pro-Cop but lets see what you think if you ever have to call them...I have, and the their response was outstanding. I think they are paid too much for what they do but that is another story.
I've called them multiple times and every time their response was less than ideal.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:55 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,669,379 times
In my opinion you are looking into your rear view mirror too often a dangerous driving habit.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:34 AM

316 posts, read 986,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
New Quentin Tarantino movie? I'm there!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM

142 posts, read 264,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
In my opinion you are looking into your rear view mirror too often a dangerous driving habit.
Haha. Hopefully that was sarcasm.
Obviously I was stopped at a light when I noticed the cell phone in his hand and it's hard not to miss a guy who's driving behind you like a dog trying to sniff another dog's a$$.

I wish cops were out there to teach bad drivers how to be good, but I understand that it's not reality. However, what's the damn point in following laws if those paid and trusted to enforce them don't follow those laws themselves?

In some of my previous posts, I've talked about how if one person gets away with an infraction or it goes unpunished....the next person will see that and go "hey, why can't that be me?" Then it just escalates until there is lawlessness. In this case, it's ten fold because the person committing the violation is a COP.

On the plus side, the drive to work today was without incident.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,956,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstigs View Post
Haha. Hopefully that was sarcasm.
Obviously I was stopped at a light when I noticed the cell phone in his hand and it's hard not to miss a guy who's driving behind you like a dog trying to sniff another dog's a$$.

I wish cops were out there to teach bad drivers how to be good, but I understand that it's not reality. However, what's the damn point in following laws if those paid and trusted to enforce them don't follow those laws themselves?

In some of my previous posts, I've talked about how if one person gets away with an infraction or it goes unpunished....the next person will see that and go "hey, why can't that be me?" Then it just escalates until there is lawlessness. In this case, it's ten fold because the person committing the violation is a COP.

On the plus side, the drive to work today was without incident.
Have you ever actually driven in a car with an off duty cop?

Traffic laws are optional.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Police are immune to the negative aspects of the law, so they don't obey them.

Frankly, I think police should be somewhat accountable for tickets that are thrown out in court.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:49 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,956,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Police are immune to the negative aspects of the law, so they don't obey them.

Frankly, I think police should be somewhat accountable for tickets that are thrown out in court.

I wouldn't go as far to say that they are immune from the negative aspects of the law..they usually don't get away with killing someone for the fun of it.

They do tend to view traffic laws as trivialities when it comes to themselves, no question, a perk of being in the profession.

http://huntington.patch.com/articles...s-free-on-bail

Case in point, does anyone really believe a cab driver went out of his way to try to kill 2 off duty cops and got shot because of it? Read between the lines on this one folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island