Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:33 PM

13 posts, read 161,872 times

Advertisements

Hi cd302,
I figured that I am in acutally in Garden City Park (though my address says NHP). So I will have to work with Town of N. Hempsted, which might be different than Village of NHP.

I am in area where lots of people are renting discretly/illegally due to proximity to LIRR. I dont want to do it illegally. I would like peace of mind and dont mind paying for that. Unfortunately, I agree that conversion to legal 2 seems close to impossible. I have dropped this idea.

But I am still seriously considering creating a accessory unit after few months. I feel one might have to "compensate" neighbors in some way to accomplish it. I need to figure out how to create a win-win situation.

If I can legally rent one part, it will be big financial win for our household.

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd302 View Post
Shyguy, I'm in a very similar situation and I'm just beginning to educate myself on the process. I'm very curious to see what you find. Have you contacted the village or town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:11 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Garden City Park in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguycalif View Post
I figured that I am in acutally in Garden City Park (though my address says NHP).
You need to bear in mind that about 8 out of every 10 places with a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address (3,339 acres) are NOT in the Village of New Hyde Park (531 acres).

Places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address that are not in the Village of New Hyde Park are in the Village of Lake Success, the Hamlet of Manhasset, the Village of North Hills, the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, the Hamlet of Herricks, the Hamlet of Garden City Park and the Village of Garden City.

A map of the Hamlet of Garden City Park in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/Garden-city-park-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Garden City Park is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Garden City Park have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 PM

3 posts, read 18,373 times
Hi shyguy, I too would like to do it legally. Unfortunately, as I am learning, when you try to do things legally through real estate the only win-win situation is for the gov't... There is a tax or a permit for everything!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:07 PM

13 posts, read 161,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd302 View Post
Hi shyguy, I too would like to do it legally. Unfortunately, as I am learning, when you try to do things legally through real estate the only win-win situation is for the gov't... There is a tax or a permit for everything!
I completely agree with your comments. I think the biggest loser is the tenant and then the landlord. Let me explain....

#1. I am thinking of extra tax/permits as insurance against lawsuits and rogue tenants.

#2. If I can pay couple thousand in extra taxes, I will command higher rents. I can also make tenant pay for all utilities by putting separate meters. No shared electric anymore.

#3. Before everyone flames me with their counterpoints on this, people should understand that legal tenancy is more expensive than 'illegal'. It is hard for tenant. The increased taxes (or atleast a portion) are going to be passed to tenant in rent and will enable me to create a legally enforceable lease with favorable terms (which is not possible otherwise). This in itself is a big win.

I feel the gains are worth the effort (only if this can be done)!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,256 times
I want to convert my Mother/Daughter house to Accessory Apartment in Wantagh, but I need to know how much the taxes will be increased from $13000? I am 65 years old. Victor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island