Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:10 AM

16 posts, read 149,442 times

Advertisements

My brother is scheduled to have spinal surgery with a highly recommended surgeon who is connected with both LIJ-North Shore University Hospital and with Winthrop. My brother prefers to have it at LIJ where he has had surgery before, but the surgeon is insisting on Winthrop. Does anyone have any views on one over the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
ORs are probably similar. MD is the same. If the MD is wanting one hospital over the other, there must be a reason. Maybe look up infection rates of each hospital?

I prefer Winthrop due to better nursing staff. A friend just had heart surgey at Winthrop. Nursing staff couldn't be nicer or better.
Many times when I visited patients in LIJ I found the staff to be cold and inaccessible. Lots of 1199 union bs there. Staff will often spend more time trying to get away from work than actually performing it.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 PM

177 posts, read 470,778 times
Winthrop is a great hospital.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,424 times
My dad who is 82 years old had open heard surgery at Winthrop 2 years ago by a great Dr. Goncalves. Not only was he amazing but the nurses who took care of him in ICU were just as amazing. I can't say enough about the hospital and staff. If your brother's doctor insisted on that hospital there is a reason for it.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:35 PM

55 posts, read 176,886 times
My son was born at Winthrop and have visited the ER often. I work in the healthcare industry and my wife is a nurse. Winthrop is a smaller hospital and you feel noticed. To me NSLIJ gives me an anxiety attack walking in the door.
Keep in mind your surgeon is performing the procedure regardless of the room its his skill you should be more concerned about. If your outcome is compromised he too will be negatively affected.
I wish your brother a successful procedure. God Bless!!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 AM

16 posts, read 149,442 times
Thanks everyone! My brother's surgery at Winthrop went well and he is home recuperating. He did feel that the nurses were not on top of his diabetes medication doses as well as he would've liked (giving him more or less than he knew he needed to control his sugar levels), and he was anxious to go home and take care of it himself! All and all though it was a positive experience.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:28 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingLI View Post
Thanks everyone! My brother's surgery at Winthrop went well and he is home recuperating. All and all though it was a positive experience.

Glad to hear your brother is better and back home recuperating!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:55 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times
I had my quadrupple bypass at Winthrop December 2009.

Wonderful surgeon, incredible nurses.

No problems whatsoever.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:31 AM

48 posts, read 61,064 times
Had my first baby at Winthrop a few weeks ago and was extremely satisfied.

Went in Friday and wife had last min C section. The entire staff (anesthesiologist, nurses, the O.R doctors and the O.R techs and the cafe folks) were amazing esp during operation.. they kept us calm during entire procedure and stay. We stayed about 4 days and everyone was really accomodating. The nurses went far above and beyond. They would always come in to check baby/mom's vital signs till last day, help with changing diapers, the nursery took care of baby overnight so mom could get rest. They have lactation consultants on staff to help mom feed baby...etc..more importantly they always were thoughful enough to bring me some food so I could stay with baby and mom.

we recently bought a benz... and the type of quality service and satifaction I rec'd at the MB dealer was what we got here.

I would recomend without hesitation..

Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesUp View Post
Had my first baby at Winthrop a few weeks ago and was extremely satisfied.

Went in Friday and wife had last min C section. The entire staff (anesthesiologist, nurses, the O.R doctors and the O.R techs and the cafe folks) were amazing esp during operation.. they kept us calm during entire procedure and stay. We stayed about 4 days and everyone was really accomodating. The nurses went far above and beyond. They would always come in to check baby/mom's vital signs till last day, help with changing diapers, the nursery took care of baby overnight so mom could get rest. They have lactation consultants on staff to help mom feed baby...etc..more importantly they always were thoughful enough to bring me some food so I could stay with baby and mom.

we recently bought a benz... and the type of quality service and satifaction I rec'd at the MB dealer was what we got here.

I would recomend without hesitation..
Great to hear this! We will be there soon delivering our first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island