U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2011, 01:42 AM
 
15 posts, read 20,242 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

So let me get this straight. Because of my lack of knowledge in the subject racing. I am clueless about Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2011, 07:26 AM
 
10 posts, read 12,642 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforlife54 View Post
Well said! We feel the very same way. Sure, we can pack our bags and run away from the high cost of living in New York but... for what? Misery in a central state? Watch cows tipping? (I kid...well, not really)... You PAY the price to live in New York...We would lead a miserable life elsewhere - and furthermore, dwell in that misery alone (with no family around us). The only family we both have is in New York or my father and aunt in California (LA... go from one economical disaster to another??).

I don't understand why people complain, complain, complain... then GO! If you are truly unhappy in New York, move! The only people that I believe were truly miserable in New York - sold their homes, moved, and STAYED elsewhere for 5-10+ years (and - STILL elsewhere). Everyone always comes back... (80% of those I know, in past experiences).

My mother-in-law SWORE she would find GREAT happiness if she moved upstate (she resided mostly in Queens, sometimes Nassau throughout her past...) - she wouldn't stop complaining.. "I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE.. TOO MANY PEOPLE.. TOO DIRTY.. TOO LOUD.." - SO GO, i *BEGGED*... she went upstate about 2 years ago and was back within 4-months. If you want to go - go, AND STAY!

... and hopefully if enough people go - we will have a little more leg room to stretch out our legs.
Do you actually believe that there is no where else to live? Everything else sucks aside from LI?? Seriously? Wow...some LIers are SO ignorant and deprived! There is so much out there...such a better quality of life available. LI is NOT that great!

I am the opposite...I wish I could find reason to come back. We miss our family so much but aside from that, there would be no reason whatsoever to return! Everything is run down, crime is rising, drugs are out of control, budgets are being cut everywhere, car accidents, etc. I just can't convince myself that my children would have a good life there. Not to mention taxes, old run down houses, nasty people and attitudes, dirty towns, etc...and mostly, the drugs scare the crap out of me! And no, it's not like that everywhere else! LOL...cow tipping?? As if upstate NY and LI are the only choices.

I'm not saying that people can't be happy there. I believe our families are happy and many of our friends that are still there are happy. But to say that there would be "no where" else to go that could compare to LI is actually laugh out loud comedy. To stay for family and friends is totally understandable though.

And I have NEVER known anyone to move away and come back. My husband and I are both in our early 30's and almost all of our friends have moved. Maybe 50% of younger family has moved, my parents have moved...no one has ever returned. I have never met anyone who has wanted to come back. I think everyone misses LI when they move. I know I do, even with all of it's flaws. I know that my children would not have a quality life there. Or at least not the quality I want for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 AM
 
10 posts, read 12,642 times
Reputation: 17
I also have another question, you mention that you pay the price to live in NY? What exactly are you paying for?? I never understand this comment. What on earth are you paying for?? Please don't say beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,767,506 times
Reputation: 7249
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeNYer View Post
Do you actually believe that there is no where else to live? Everything else sucks aside from LI?? Seriously? Wow...some LIers are SO ignorant and deprived! There is so much out there...such a better quality of life available. LI is NOT that great!

I am the opposite...I wish I could find reason to come back. We miss our family so much but aside from that, there would be no reason whatsoever to return! Everything is run down, crime is rising, drugs are out of control, budgets are being cut everywhere, car accidents, etc. I just can't convince myself that my children would have a good life there. Not to mention taxes, old run down houses, nasty people and attitudes, dirty towns, etc...and mostly, the drugs scare the crap out of me! And no, it's not like that everywhere else! LOL...cow tipping?? As if upstate NY and LI are the only choices.

I'm not saying that people can't be happy there. I believe our families are happy and many of our friends that are still there are happy. But to say that there would be "no where" else to go that could compare to LI is actually laugh out loud comedy. To stay for family and friends is totally understandable though.

And I have NEVER known anyone to move away and come back. My husband and I are both in our early 30's and almost all of our friends have moved. Maybe 50% of younger family has moved, my parents have moved...no one has ever returned. I have never met anyone who has wanted to come back. I think everyone misses LI when they move. I know I do, even with all of it's flaws. I know that my children would not have a quality life there. Or at least not the quality I want for them.
To make the sweeping statement I bolded in paragraph 2 about all of LI is not much better than the comments you are arguing against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 10:48 AM
 
15 posts, read 20,242 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeNYer View Post
I also have another question, you mention that you pay the price to live in NY? What exactly are you paying for?? I never understand this comment. What on earth are you paying for?? Please don't say beaches.
I think in general it is more expensive in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 10:58 AM
 
2,852 posts, read 2,827,565 times
Reputation: 1171
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBrodie View Post
So let me get this straight. Because of my lack of knowledge in the subject racing. I am clueless about Long Island.
No, because we are now the #9 WORST place to find a job and the race track would provide direct jobs from their own hiring plus a ton of other ancillary jobs (tire shops, gas, mechanics, welding, engineers, product shipping, construction, hotels, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 07:14 PM
 
15 posts, read 20,242 times
Reputation: 21
I understand your complaint on this. And you are correct. But in all honesty whether the place is ever built or not, it will have zero effect in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top