U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-07-2011, 09:56 PM

15 posts, read 12,298 times
Default Moving back to the Island...

Hello all,

My wife and I are moving back in June from Tampa Bay. We do not have children. We do not want children ! We want to move too the north shore. I grew up in E. Northport and would love to go there. But anywhere from Huntington to Port Jeff will be fine.
We are going to rent a house for the first year then buy. My question ~ How much does a family of two need to make. We have an income of around 100k.

Your thoughts please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-07-2011, 10:20 PM
gag

656 posts, read 567,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBrodie View Post
Hello all,

My wife and I are moving back in June from Tampa Bay. We do not have children. We do not want children ! We want to move too the north shore. I grew up in E. Northport and would love to go there. But anywhere from Huntington to Port Jeff will be fine.
We are going to rent a house for the first year then buy. My question ~ How much does a family of two need to make. We have an income of around 100k.

Your thoughts please...
If you have jobs lined up and you're making 100K, you should do fine renting a house. Huntington sounds like it may work for you.

Unread 03-08-2011, 07:41 AM

924 posts, read 991,063 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Your thoughts please...
You'll be fine renting, but you'll have a tough time affording a mortgage in that area at 100k for a combined income.

Unread 03-08-2011, 08:19 AM

932 posts, read 1,485,741 times
Not if they can put down $150k or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
You'll be fine renting, but you'll have a tough time affording a mortgage in that area at 100k for a combined income.

Unread 03-08-2011, 08:31 AM

2,915 posts, read 2,631,909 times
That's insane, you need to make more than 100K to live on the island. I know things are costly, but don't you think 100K or 65K after tax would be enough to "live" on the island? The OP isn't talking about keeping up with the snobs.....just living.

Unread 03-08-2011, 08:58 AM

939 posts, read 1,134,053 times
in east northport with $100k and no kids you should be fine. i do it with 2 kids.

this is all provided you're looking for a reasonable house and not 3/4 mill mcmansion

and if you change your mind on the kids, i'll drop mine off

edit: i'm assuming you'll have enough for a good down payment

Unread 03-08-2011, 09:15 AM

7,304 posts, read 8,981,915 times
Different people have different life styles = different $$ income required.

However, not to be overlooked in this current economic/financial environment is what the lender thinks is sufficient income!

JMHO

sending you a DM

Unread 03-08-2011, 09:24 AM

2,153 posts, read 4,093,096 times
We have 2 kids (including 50K in adoption expenses), pay a mortgage, and are doing fine on 100K a year. You can do just fine on that $$ without kids.

Unread 03-08-2011, 10:36 AM

15 posts, read 12,298 times
Thanks very much for the replies.

We don't care for the snobs very much.

When we are ready to buy our down payment will be around 75 - 85 k. We are looking for a normal house. 3 br 2 bath. I'm going to finish the basement if it is not already completed.

There will be added expenses I know for sure. I want to have my Ranger season tickets. Or even a ten game plan. My wife loves to ski. We enjoy the city. We don't eat out very much. Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies. So we save money there.

I left the Island in 96' and I have not had that feeling of being home. I feel it as soon as i get off the plane to visit. So many people talk about how bad New York is. I am jumping out of my skin to be back.

ENFD240 ~ Thank you very much for the wonderful offer of your children. I will think about it... See it just doesn't work for me...

Unread 03-08-2011, 10:52 AM

2,153 posts, read 4,093,096 times
Quote:
I want to have my Ranger season tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island