Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:31 PM

7 posts, read 19,985 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone !!!!

First of all, I want to thank you all for the insight that you have already given me, during the house search and the initial bidding and contract process, I have been an avid reader of this forum, but never posted before. Pretty much everything that I have looked for, I found here on the site, so once again, thank you all.

Well, I am "T minus 30 days" or so from closing on my house. I am a 41 year-old first-time home buyer, so I went the FHA route, got locked into a very decent interest rate, and the whole mortgage process was much smoother than I could have guessed. The rest of the negotiation, well, not so smooth, but it is moving right along.

The house that I am buying is in Mineola, a block north of Jericho Turnpike, a few blocks east of Roslyn Road. It is a great little house, new roof, new oil burner, pretty new kitchen, 1/2 finished basement, and a deck in the back. Pretty much everything that I wanted, and the price was right. The most important thing about it was the school district, East Williston. Having a 5 year-old son and a 9 year-old daughter, the thought of having them go to school in queens (where I currently live), was not what I wanted. I had heard great things about the EW district, so this was like the perfect situation.

Now, I am looking for some insight in relation to closing. I have a good lawyer, a great mortgage broker, and a good buyer's agent, so they have given me the professional guidance, I would like some personal guidance from you, the Long Islanders. When it comes to the closing, do I immediately have to contact an oil company, LIPA/National Grid, the Water Company? I am not moving in on closing date, a little cosmetic work has to be done, nothing structural or major, painting, flooring, that kind of thing.

Also, anyone who lives in that area or close by, or has experience in the area, I would love some insight into the area itself (I know that Walt Greenberg is an amazing resource for data). Like I had said, I did a lot of research into the area, but I would like to know from the people who actually live in and around it. Please give me the good, the bad, and the ugly, as you see it. Any insight that you can give me into closing, the commute (I work in Midtown, by Grand Central, but am looking around at other areas), and just anything else that you could provide.

Sorry for the long post, and once again, I really appreciate the input that you have given me, and look forward to even more. If you want to refer me for any services, like oil, contractor, etc, it would also be appreciated.

Thanks again !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 03:42 PM

840 posts, read 2,435,628 times
Congrats, great school district, great commute! lots of trains go through mineola, you'll be fine. some great restaurants in mineola and you cannot do much better school district wise

Old 03-08-2011, 03:58 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,080,482 times
East Williston, Williston Park has some great shopping in the area.

Another restaurant that you MUST try is the St. James, in Mineola, by the train station. It's awesome burgers and bar/pub food.

You have 2 children, I assume they may like Ralph's Ices. In the warmer months, Ralphs opens up.

The SD you are in is a very good one to my knowledge.

What else can we help you with? Sounds like you have it all under control. Welcome and congrats!

You will need to contact LIPA and the water authority (not sure who it is over there) before the closing. Also if you have gas you need to contact Keyspan beforehand. They will all create accts for you and start them on your closing date. Also make sure you have homeowners insurance in place. Have to you done that yet?

Old 03-08-2011, 04:02 PM

22,613 posts, read 36,507,081 times
Yes, you need to put all the utilities in your name. Even if you aren't going to be living there, you will still need electricity, water and heat while you work on the house. When you get a definite closing date, call LIPA a few days before. They can take care of both the electric and gas (if there is any in the house, even though the gas billing will be handled by National Grid). Call the water company with your closing date. Start looking into lining up an oil supplier now, that does not necessarily convey with the house.

It's a nice little area over there. Good luck and enjoy your new home.

P.S. Good call on The St. James - kid friendly too!

Old 03-08-2011, 04:09 PM

7 posts, read 19,985 times
Thanks so far.......

I have already taken care of the homeowner's insurance, because it is a precursor to the closing, as per the mortgage company. I have had renter's insurance with USAA for years, so I am just switching to homeowner's through them.

So I can use LIPA to take care of the electric and gas ?? thanks, this is exactly what I needed to know. I will contact the water company and oil company prior to closing as well.

This is kind of a "newbie" question, but how do I find out about the basic things like garbage pickup and other basic services? Is there some kind of "town guide" given by Mineola, online or otherwise?

and please, the restaurant and kids stuff is EXACTLY the type of insight I am looking for.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:41 PM

22,613 posts, read 36,507,081 times
I'm not sure if your garbage is handled by Mineola or Town of N. Hempstead.

When I sold my house in Garden City last year I left all that info for the new owners.....and I know Garden City sends the info to new homeowners. So you may get a packet in the mail, but if you want all your ducks in a row beforehand, I'd first call Town of N. Hempstead with the address and ask them.

Yes, when I sold my house last year and I called LIPA to cancel the electric, they told me they could take care of the gas too. They told me to have the new owners call prior to closing so they would not physically shut off the service....so just call a day or two ahead.

You are pretty centrally located to all sorts of good restaurants of every level. You're also pretty close to LI Children's Museum, Cradle of Aviation, etc. We used to like the pizza at Mama Theresa's on Jericho, and a lot of people like Cugini's (also on Jericho) for the food, I always found parking a hassle. Maxxel's is a good restaurant in the TDBank/Panera Shopping Center at the corner of Herricks and Jericho. REally, plenty of options.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:43 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
Default A map of the East Williston Union Free School District

thewrightstuff, the East Williston Union Free School District seems to be a mix of middle to upper middle class incomes. If there is a downside, you will not be in the same school district with the majority of families in your village.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the East Williston Union Free School District includes all or part of the Village of East Hills, the Village of Old Westbury, the Village of Mineola, the Village of East Williston, the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights.

A map of the East Williston Union Free School District:
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Mineola - East Williston School District - Insight on closing/commute/area needed-eastwillistonufsd.gif  

Old 03-08-2011, 04:50 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
Default For things to do on Lawn Guyland ...

thewrightstuff, for things to do on Lawn Guyland, here are three sites that also offer weekly eMail newsletters: LongIsland.com, About Long Island NY and Life On Long Island; and, here's what could be the best site: Long Island Convention & Visitors Bureau and Sports Commission.

And, li4kids, is especially for the kinder.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:56 PM

574 posts, read 972,828 times
Congrts on your purchase. You will love the area and SD. The Inc. Village of Mineola handles garbage pickup & supplies domestic water so contact them directly (516) 746-0750

Good luck

Old 03-08-2011, 05:14 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,080,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You are pretty centrally located to all sorts of good restaurants of every level. You're also pretty close to LI Children's Museum, Cradle of Aviation, etc. We used to like the pizza at Mama Theresa's on Jericho, and a lot of people like Cugini's (also on Jericho) for the food, I always found parking a hassle. Maxxel's is a good restaurant in the TDBank/Panera Shopping Center at the corner of Herricks and Jericho. REally, plenty of options.

Mama Theresa's on Jericho and Positano on Union, love these places for Italian food. Good call on these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island