Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

It is important for a kid who is the victim of bullying to not be passive and to stick up for themselves.

However, it is sad that THEY are the ones who are often treated as if THEY are the problem.

The bullies are the ones who take the negative actions in the first place, yet nobody seems to do much to put them in their place (unless, of course, they turn to bullying and harassing their teachers).

Yes, bullying has been around for ages, but should we just turn our backs on all negative behaviors for that reason alone and not try and correct it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Then why do you bully ME all the time???
Only when you request that I play Cowboy and you are the Indian Maiden.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:31 PM

28 posts, read 67,925 times
I really don't have much of an answer to this, but I am smart enough to note that Gpsma is one of the dumbest people I've ever had the pleasure to read opinions of over the internet.

Shocking, given his reputation. I guess he's knowledgeable about the area but oblivious about being a teenager in a public school.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
At work you can go to your boss or human resources if you have a problem and it is mediated or handled. At your own personal level you have police and lawyers. A child only has the adults in their life they can turn to which is their parents and school officials.
Try going to the HR department without concrete examples of co-workers harrassing you.

I have witnessed employees use a passive aggressive approach to bullying and harrassment. It works all the time because they are breaking no rules and no laws. They are simply causing a disruptive and insensitive environment but there is nothing you can do about it. They are doing nothing active that can be corrected.

But I have watched employees counteract that passive aggressive bullying with their own forceful personality. They knew how to react to the bully without running off to Management to solve their problems. We need to teach kids those kind of coping skills...not the "run to mommy" way of coping.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Try going to the HR department without concrete examples of co-workers harrassing you.

I have witnessed employees use a passive aggressive approach to bullying and harrassment. It works all the time because they are breaking no rules and no laws. They are simply causing a disruptive and insensitive environment but there is nothing you can do about it. They are doing nothing active that can be corrected.

But I have watched employees counteract that passive aggressive bullying with their own forceful personality. They knew how to react to the bully without running off to Management to solve their problems. We need to teach kids those kind of coping skills...not the "run to mommy" way of coping.
I understand what you are saying and I think the bullied kids need to definitely be assertive. Standing up for themselves is part of solving the problem.

I just don't like how the bullies themselves are let off scot free more often than not and they continue their antisocial behavior.

Kids have less resources than adults when it comes to dealing with bullies. Their resources include parents and, if the bullying occurs at school, teachers and school officials. That is just how it is and they should not be afraid to make a complaint. Probably most kids that are bullied do not make complaints to adults and keep it in the "kids' world" anyway.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waferdanos View Post
I really don't have much of an answer to this, but I am smart enough to note that Gpsma is one of the dumbest people I've ever had the pleasure to read opinions of over the internet.

Shocking, given his reputation. I guess he's knowledgeable about the area but oblivious about being a teenager in a public school.
Another woeful bully victim speaks....

Old 03-10-2011, 01:49 PM

81 posts, read 197,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waferdanos View Post

By far the dumbest you are correct. His reputation here is a result of sucking up to the popular Crookhaven. It's like they are in prison, Crookhaven is the baddest dude in the cell block, while Gpsma is his boy toy who can afford to run his mouth and be stupid because he knows someone has his back!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:55 PM

Were you bullied too Zerby. I suspect it...that's why you ran away to Illinois.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:02 PM

398 posts, read 838,056 times
I was never bullied at school so I can't speak on how it feels, but I can see where people are coming from when they don't want a nanny state to help everyone. Unfortunately not everyone has a strong personality to protect themselves from bullies and there are kids that are bullied at home by abusive drug addict or alcoholic parents, they go to school and get bullied there as well.

Personally it's sad to see kids get bullied, but I don't think there is a way for school or adults to protect kids.

I kind of see Gpmsa point about you choose to come out and needed to be strong and be able to protect yourself from bullies. Although seeing bullies in action you probably didn't stand a chance, and I feel bad you had to deal with that.

GPMSA kind of comes across as a DB by calling someone a victim of bullying all because they call him out for his insensitivity towards someone who came out in high school and was violently assaulted for his sexuality.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
I was never bullied at school so I can't speak on how it feels, but I can see where people are coming from when they don't want a nanny state to help everyone. Unfortunately not everyone has a strong personality to protect themselves from bullies and there are kids that are bullied at home by abusive drug addict or alcoholic parents, they go to school and get bullied there as well.

Personally it's sad to see kids get bullied, but I don't think there is a way for school or adults to protect kids.

I kind of see Gpmsa point about you choose to come out and needed to be strong and be able to protect yourself from bullies. Although seeing bullies in action you probably didn't stand a chance, and I feel bad you had to deal with that.

GPMSA kind of comes across as a DB by calling someone a victim of bullying all because they call him out for his insensitivity towards someone who came out in high school and was violently assaulted for his sexuality.
Why doesn't anyone do anything to stop bullies in their tracks?

It's always about trying to change the bullied child.

Don't the bullies need to change even more than their victims do?

Their dysfunctional behavior is spilling out and affecting other kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island