Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:45 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Here is the story on Newsday mobile (so all can have access):

Search Result item

How do you think bullying in schools should be handled?

What is your experience with bullying? Were you a bully? Do you have a kid who is one? Were you a victim of bullying? Do you have a kid who is one?

Do you think this is a serious problem or do you think this is usually more of a frivolous claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:51 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
The Nanny States of America will forbid bullying forever. All children must now hug and sing Kumbaya.

Turn you kid into one of those little Karate brats and let him defend himself against the bullies.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 AM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
This is such horsehockey. I have been cleaning school toilets for over 25 years and see it all. Bullying in schools is such a minute problem blown out of proportion by a handful of insecure hovering mothers who's husbands are either whipped or out screwing around.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Teach your kid to stand up for themselves.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Teach your kid to stand up for themselves.
Why is the emphasis always on the kids who are minding their own business and are harassed needing to "do something?"

Who is really the cause of the problem?

The shy kid sitting quietly in the corner OR the bully who takes action to attack that kid either physically or verbally or both?

Maybe if the bullies were the ones who were treated like there was something wrong with them instead of their victims being treated like that, their inappropriate behavior would stop. Maybe if bullies' parents were immediately told to leave work and come to school to pick their kid up once their kid has launched into action or the bullies' parents were the ones who were told they should get their kid counselling, they would not tolerate bullying others from their kids.

What's particularly sad is when a bullied child defends himself physically and THEY are the one who gets in trouble for doing so, not the bully who has harassed them and made their life unbearable.

It's always blame the victim. I think treating bullies and their parents harshly would nip this behavior in the bud instead of treating the bullied, who have done NOTHING at all, like the one with something wrong with them would be more effective.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
So many tough guys around here....

Old 03-10-2011, 11:45 AM

330 posts, read 726,359 times
No one is blaming the victim. But, throughout life we all have to deal with bullies, not just in school. There are bullies everywhere, maybe a boss, maybe a cop, maybe a co-worker or a neighbor. And guess what. Once you get past the age of about 16 or so no one is going to step in and "punish" the bully for you (unless this bully is violent or commits actual crimes). You need to deal with it yourself, and if you go the first two decades of your life with authorities stepping in to "protect" you from generally minor incidents of bullying you will never gain the confidence to stand up for yourself. In extreme cases, yes, the school bully should be dealt with harshly, but this recent trend of pretending bullying in school is something new is ridiculous. That's life, you better learn to deal with aggressive people or they will walk all over you. This is not a defense of bullies, I simply don't think there is a way to prevent this type of behavior, some people are a-holes and that's that, we can't socially engineer that aspect of human nature away.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Why is the emphasis always on the kids who are minding their own business and are harassed needing to "do something?"

Who is really the cause of the problem?

The shy kid sitting quietly in the corner OR the bully who takes action to attack that kid either physically or verbally or both?

Maybe if the bullies were the ones who were treated like there was something wrong with them instead of their victims being treated like that, their inappropriate behavior would stop. Maybe if bullies' parents were immediately told to leave work and come to school to pick their kid up once their kid has launched into action or the bullies' parents were the ones who were told they should get their kid counselling, they would not tolerate bullying others from their kids.

What's particularly sad is when a bullied child defends himself physically and THEY are the one who gets in trouble for doing so, not the bully who has harassed them and made their life unbearable.

It's always blame the victim. I think treating bullies and their parents harshly would nip this behavior in the bud instead of treating the bullied, who have done NOTHING at all, like the one with something wrong with them would be more effective.

Do you think that once these kids grow up, mommy and daddy will be stepping in when their boss demands something from them? What about if someone comes up to them with bad intentions walking down the street? Should they call mommy and daddy and cower away and hide?

No. Both sides are wrong -- bullies aren't going to just go away, whether it's on the school playground or in college or in a workplace, nor should kids just run away and expect someone else to solve their problems.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:00 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
Well I went to high school on Long Island as a gay teen in the late 90s. Bullying is a problem only for a few kids, which is why alot of people underestimate how bad it actually is. I was spit on almost everyday, I got into ALOT of fights where it was me or another friend against 10 guys. And girls are just as bad. I remember getting jumped walking home from school while 3 guys beat me up with 2 girls watching and laughing. Its bad. Anyone who has been bullied will tell you it is one of the worst experiences of your life.

Imagine going to work everyday and 90% of the people harrass you and a few really bad seeds actually get physical with you. Oh and you cant quit. That was high school for me, the worst 4 years of my life.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:00 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Mommy mommy...call the boss..he wants me to work a whole 8 hours a day...he's mean to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island