Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:52 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,890,130 times

Advertisements

Have dh family on the island and they have lived in the same house for 35 years..near deerpark. And some other towns. They just said if we are going to buy..we are going to stay. Home probably has been paid off for years...no mortgage except the taxes....purchased for "peanuts" back in those days..so why bother moving?

Now fast forward to our generation (mid 30s) who are purchasing our first or second homes. For us it was timing in the market..bought our first home in 98 a year after we were married..were frugal with our money..saved saved saved. We didnt overspend...but purchased a true starter home 3 bed 2 baths raised ranch. Now fast forward to 2007..three kids later...yes we are looking at the subdivision homes..because that is what we prefer..and have always prefered..but will not pay 2004 pricing..saved up enough thru the years to put down.. you cannot touch a subdivision home that is less than 550k here in Dutchess we will not sell our current home as it will be paid off in 10 years to again..good timing and refinancing at 15 years FIXED for 4.75 percent.

Plus dh has another home in the bronx..did the same refi. So we figure we have two homes that essentially is "retirement or college money" as our oldest will go to college in 10 years..so each of them will have a home that is paid off to help offset the expenses.

The moral of the story is: Dont live beyond your means, save while you can...be saavy in the market, be financially sound..and most of all go where the quality of life makes you happy...so what if its not long island..there are plenty of other places in NY or better yet outside of NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 07:19 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,752,196 times
Mum2 girls

we are in exactely the same boat.
College will creep up on us faster than we can say it

d

Old 07-27-2007, 10:41 PM

68 posts, read 420,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
$300K in a nice neighborhood? What would you define as nice? That seems low. Perhaps places in Suffolk or South Shore Nassau not by the water. It would be great if it happened...give people a break, but I don't see it. Who knows.
I agree you won't get anything by the the water for $300K. I'm thinking more along the lines of a 3 bedroom 2 bath cape or ranch in good condition. You can probably get one for close to that price now in Lindenhurst. South Shore Nassau county, Levittown, East Meadow will be priced at this level for this type of home before any price reversal occurs. Just my opinion, based on tighter lending guidelines and let's say a salary of $100K times 3 (a traditional formula used to determine how much house you can afford, although I realize this is not written in stone) to arrive at the price of the home. Time will tell.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:19 PM

553 posts, read 1,929,367 times
Will not happen!!!!!! Long island is unique there is virtually no new building going on like other places that are seeing a rapid decline in prices like florida for instance but there real problem is taxes and homeowners ins. Long island has resales.prices will sit flat then go up again. Just too much money being made sorry to say folks but when a guy in the grocery store stocking shelves is making 80 thousand a year that is what happens. I know there will be skeptics but I worked for one of the chains and I was making 70,000. within 3 years in the union. Teachers are paid more here as are cops the salaries are higher houseing will be higher. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:06 AM

6,373 posts, read 13,085,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Will not happen!!!!!! Long island is unique there is virtually no new building going on like other places that are seeing a rapid decline in prices like florida for instance but there real problem is taxes and homeowners ins. Long island has resales.prices will sit flat then go up again. Just too much money being made sorry to say folks but when a guy in the grocery store stocking shelves is making 80 thousand a year that is what happens. I know there will be skeptics but I worked for one of the chains and I was making 70,000. within 3 years in the union. Teachers are paid more here as are cops the salaries are higher houseing will be higher. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

Stocking shelves at a PathMark and making $80,000. I beg to differ. Or better yet Im going to get an application. Are you sure your not exagerating a little bit NY62? I mean come on thats nice chunk of change for no skills!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 AM

553 posts, read 1,929,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Stocking shelves at a PathMark and making $80,000. I beg to differ. Or better yet Im going to get an application. Are you sure your not exagerating a little bit NY62? I mean come on thats nice chunk of change for no skills!!!
Sorry to make you feel bad but it is the truth and it was stop and shop same unions anyway . and yes I seen it with my own eyes guys in the union would not leave and go into management either.Plus that came with full medical and dental with no out of pocket. There were guys that would bet each other to see who would make the most at the end of the year. I would watch myself with the no skill coments too. maybe it hurts some people to think they went to college and make less I dont know. take care

Old 07-30-2007, 10:41 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,104,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Honestly me neither...I think this market will go sideways for a few years then run like the Bay Area.
I think that's correct unless business starts to move to more friendly locales. If that happens you'll be in for one of the worst crashes of anywhere.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,656,334 times
Perhaps Im a contrarian.
As an investment....I think this is a tremendous buying opportunity.
Once were built out I dont think this market will ever look back.
(finite land mass)

Wish I had extra $$$.
Id still raise the Clamfam in CT but Id invest in North Shore LI all day long.

C

Old 07-30-2007, 12:25 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,104,889 times
You'd be both a migrant (to CT) and a millionaire.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:28 PM

6,373 posts, read 13,085,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Sorry to make you feel bad but it is the truth and it was stop and shop same unions anyway . and yes I seen it with my own eyes guys in the union would not leave and go into management either.Plus that came with full medical and dental with no out of pocket. There were guys that would bet each other to see who would make the most at the end of the year. I would watch myself with the no skill coments too. maybe it hurts some people to think they went to college and make less I dont know. take care
Yeah, I guess that news made me feel bad. Knowing that my salary isn't much more than a Stop and Shop shelf stockers salary. I guess I really am in the wrong business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island