Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaFromQueens View Post
Well I was never talking positively, I was convinced that we were stuck here for the time being... We had been trying to rent out the house, but no luck Then this past Saturday we found great tenants and so we are OUT! I'm the kind of person that can try to be happy anywhere. I try to make the best out of certain situations. But truthfully, there have been more robberies, drug deals and even prostitution in the past 2 months. I'm starting to get frustrated. I have 2 young kids. After much thought and consideration, my husband & I are giving this a shot.

The "positivity" you are refering to is probably because I said that I don't have any issue with living in a diverse community...and I don't! (We are moving back to Queens, after all!). Many of those posters were pointing out that Baldwin has a lot of blacks and all that... That doesn't affect me at all!
Sounds good, as long as you are happy with your new area, then that's a win for you. Thanks for the honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 12:13 AM

113 posts, read 263,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Sounds good, as long as you are happy with your new area, then that's a win for you. Thanks for the honesty.
No problem! Thanks for your well wishes!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 AM

51 posts, read 257,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaFromQueens View Post
Well I was never talking positively, I was convinced that we were stuck here for the time being... We had been trying to rent out the house, but no luck Then this past Saturday we found great tenants and so we are OUT! I'm the kind of person that can try to be happy anywhere. I try to make the best out of certain situations. But truthfully, there have been more robberies, drug deals and even prostitution in the past 2 months. I'm starting to get frustrated. I have 2 young kids. After much thought and consideration, my husband & I are giving this a shot.

The "positivity" you are refering to is probably because I said that I don't have any issue with living in a diverse community...and I don't! (We are moving back to Queens, after all!). Many of those posters were pointing out that Baldwin has a lot of blacks and all that... That doesn't affect me at all!
Gina it seems to me that you were never really happy moving to the suburbs. You moved here because this is where your boyfriend was living at the time. You’re basically a city girl. You’re moving back to the borough of Queens which has more robberies, drugs, and prostitution than any part of Nassau County. I have lived in Queens so I know. Violent crime rarely occurs in Baldwin and drugs are a big problem where ever you go nowadays. I feel perfectly safe here. I have never heard of any prostitution rings in Baldwin. I think you’re getting things confused with the recent prostitution busts in the next hamlet over which is Rockville Centre. If I am wrong then please provide your proof.* Hope your move goes well.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:43 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancedact View Post
Gina it seems to me that you were never really happy moving to the suburbs. You moved here because this is where your boyfriend was living at the time. You’re basically a city girl. You’re moving back to the borough of Queens which has more robberies, drugs, and prostitution than any part of Nassau County. I have lived in Queens so I know. Violent crime rarely occurs in Baldwin and drugs are a big problem where ever you go nowadays. I feel perfectly safe here. I have never heard of any prostitution rings in Baldwin. I think you’re getting things confused with the recent prostitution busts in the next hamlet over which is Rockville Centre. If I am wrong then please provide your proof.* Hope your move goes well.
I've lived in Queens - Bayside to be exact. I've also lived in Baldwin. I can tell you that I felt MUCH SAFER walking around Bayside, Queens, at night than I did around Baldwin. I'm not going to knock the town of Baldwin in my post BUT if you're going to make comparisons about crime, please be specific. Queens is a BIG place and has areas that rival Nassau in regards to low crime, good schools, and quality of life. Gina might just be headed for one of those areas in Queens...and I wish her the best of luck.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:29 PM

Woody it seems to me you may have the scared of brown people syndrome which seems to be prevalent on Long Island. I don't have that problem but to each his own. Getting back on topic I would like to hear from people Who can answer my original question.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:47 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,955 times
Quote:
Woody it seems to me you may have the scared of brown people syndrome which seems to be prevalent on Long Island.
I'm aghast.
Exactly HOW did you come to this conclusion from my post?!?!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Well of course there are crimes in Queens... the population is MUCH greater than in Baldwin! I am a city girl at heart... the suburbs just aren't for me, and never have been. Violent crime rarely occurs in Baldwin?? Haven't you heard about the robberies at Dairy Barn, 7-11, Valero (ALL on Grand Ave!)... AND the deli near the Plaza school on Seaman.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I've lived in Queens - Bayside to be exact. I've also lived in Baldwin. I can tell you that I felt MUCH SAFER walking around Bayside, Queens, at night than I did around Baldwin. I'm not going to knock the town of Baldwin in my post BUT if you're going to make comparisons about crime, please be specific. Queens is a BIG place and has areas that rival Nassau in regards to low crime, good schools, and quality of life. Gina might just be headed for one of those areas in Queens...and I wish her the best of luck.
I agree... Bayside is much safer than Baldwin. I was born and raised in Queens and spent the first 30 years of my life there. I am 34 now. I was raised in Middle Village and lived in Sunnyside for 3 years before coming here. My new apartment is on the border of Middle Village and Ridgewood. Are there problems there? Sure! Is it as safe as Bayside? Nope. But our living expenses would be a lot less and I can pay for Catholic Schools. I can't afford that out here. Also, we are only planning to stay there until we can sell our Baldwin house. Then we'll try to buy elsewhere in Queens (Bayside is a contender!)

Old 04-15-2011, 06:08 PM

Gina, I’m going to have to disagree with you again. Bayside has a known prostitution problem as well as a huge drug problem. We don’t have that here. Don’t know where you are getting your facts from.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:44 PM

80 posts, read 121,603 times
Correction. Bayside is a lovely place to live but don't think for one second that you will be immune to crime. Bay side has a high number of stolen vehicles, burglaries and an occasional robbery. This I know because I am in law enforcement. I grew up in baldwin and my family still resides in the area. All of the homeowners maintain their homes with care. There are more law enforcement,doctors, teachers and lawyers in that given area. Every area has occasional spurts of crime. Don't bash the area because you seek the comfort of another location. I have noticed that people tend to speak negatively of an area if there tends to be a higher concentration of minorities. Baldwin is a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island