Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 12:37 PM

92 posts, read 432,835 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently saw a house where the homeowner has oil heat with baseboard (no gas line on street) and propane gas to run the stove and fireplace. They had 2 100 gallon tanks in backyard behind pool house so out of site. The wife is from England and she hates electric stoves. I was wondering if anyone has seen this and if it is better to keep this setup using I assume a minimal amount of propane to run the stove, fireplace, grill and pool heater or would it be better to consider converting to a gas unit in case street gets a gas line. The main road that this block feeds off of has gas and National Grid has a large facility not too far from where this home is located so getting gas is possible. However based on the stories I have read, propane could actually be more expensive because it doesn't have as many BTU's even though it runs more efficiently than oil.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan1970 View Post
My wife and I recently saw a house where the homeowner has oil heat with baseboard (no gas line on street) and propane gas to run the stove and fireplace. They had 2 100 gallon tanks in backyard behind pool house so out of site. The wife is from England and she hates electric stoves. I was wondering if anyone has seen this and if it is better to keep this setup using I assume a minimal amount of propane to run the stove, fireplace, grill and pool heater or would it be better to consider converting to a gas unit in case street gets a gas line. The main road that this block feeds off of has gas and National Grid has a large facility not too far from where this home is located so getting gas is possible. However based on the stories I have read, propane could actually be more expensive because it doesn't have as many BTU's even though it runs more efficiently than oil.

There are many areas on Long Island (primarily in Suffolk County) where no gas lines currently exist. As a result, homeowners who prefer cooking with gas, use propane as alternative - a very common practice here.

Just as an FYI, when I checked with National Grid re availability and cost to get connected a couple of weeks ago, they quoted a cost of about $75/ft for the gas line AFTER the first 100 ft, which are free. They also mentioned that if you can get 5 people on the same block to convert, they might consider waiving that--but it was not a blanket promise, only conditional on a particular location.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:51 PM

3,515 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
I have this setup in my house... Oil heat with baseboards and propane for the stove.... eventually the drier too...

Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 PM

3,515 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
There are many areas on Long Island (primarily in Suffolk County) where no gas lines currently exist. As a result, homeowners who prefer cooking with gas, use propane as alternative - a very common practice here.

Just as an FYI, when I checked with National Grid re availability and cost to get connected a couple of weeks ago, they quoted a cost of about $75/ft for the gas line AFTER the first 100 ft, which are free. They also mentioned that if you can get 5 people on the same block to convert, they might consider waiving that--but it was not a blanket promise, only conditional on a particular location.
And in my case not cost effective since I am 700ft from the nearest gas line...

Old 03-14-2011, 12:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
And in my case not cost effective since I am 700ft from the nearest gas line...
sorry! Maybe you can get enough neighbors together?

Old 03-14-2011, 01:23 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Same set up here (except we use the LP for the stove only)...good timing on this post because i have been thinking the same thing.

We have no gas lines withing a reasonable distance so its not worth going that route.

I have two 23 gal LP tanks (46 gal total). That lasts us about 6-8 months and we use it. Propane is now over $6 a gallon. If you convert this to useable energy it is actually MORE EXPENSIVE than LIPA electricity (BTU for BTU).

To the OP...you'll be using LP for more than I do so your rate should be less, but probably not much. Just a heads up that LP is a lot right now.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:30 PM

92 posts, read 432,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Same set up here (except we use the LP for the stove only)...good timing on this post because i have been thinking the same thing.

We have no gas lines withing a reasonable distance so its not worth going that route.

I have two 23 gal LP tanks (46 gal total). That lasts us about 6-8 months and we use it. Propane is now over $6 a gallon. If you convert this to useable energy it is actually MORE EXPENSIVE than LIPA electricity (BTU for BTU).

To the OP...you'll be using LP for more than I do so your rate should be less, but probably not much. Just a heads up that LP is a lot right now.
We were just trying to get an idea on bills. I know I pay around if not over $4 a gallon for oil. I have a 200+ gallon tank that during the winter needs to be filled every month at $800 or so. $6 a gallon for propane. Damn. I have been telling my wife for the stove and fireplace if we were to buy this place is no big deal but if we were to start converting water heaters, appliances etc.. that could be super expensive. If the rest of block doesn't want to convert I doubt National Grid lays down the gas line for 1 customer and even if they did would charge us. Then if someone else wants to convert in a year or two, there is no cost to hook up other than from the house to the pipe in the street so no incentive there.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
We were just trying to get an idea on bills. I know I pay around if not over $4 a gallon for oil. I have a 200+ gallon tank that during the winter needs to be filled every month at $800 or so. $6 a gallon for propane. Damn. I have been telling my wife for the stove and fireplace if we were to buy this place is no big deal but if we were to start converting water heaters, appliances etc.. that could be super expensive. If the rest of block doesn't want to convert I doubt National Grid lays down the gas line for 1 customer and even if they did would charge us. Then if someone else wants to convert in a year or two, there is no cost to hook up other than from the house to the pipe in the street so no incentive there.
You'll probably pay less per gallon because you use more, but over time LP for heat would be a Lot.

We were in a similar boat (oil vs. LP) and we bought a pellet stove, which was the best move I have ever made. I spent $600 in pellet fuel to heat my house this whole winter and used about 1/3 tank of oil. You might want to look into them. There are others on the boards who have them also.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:09 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Sportsfan if you dont mind me asking...how big is the house where you use 200 gallons of oil in a month?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 AM

169 posts, read 675,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Sportsfan if you dont mind me asking...how big is the house where you use 200 gallons of oil in a month?
Not SportsFan but my usage is below, for a 2,000 sq ft split. I keep the house at 67 degrees, 24/7. Looks like January was a pretty cold month.

Date Gallons Gallons/Day
12/14/2010 149.28
1/7/2011 163.93 6.83
1/22/2011 158.91 10.59
2/11/2011 89.59 4.48
3/11/2011 124.10 4.43
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island