Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:08 PM

322 posts, read 937,209 times

Advertisements

I realize this thread is over a year old, and I respect people's opinion of not letting dogs into stores and restaurants. But to be honest, I would prefer any size or breed of dog in a place of business rather than a child under the age of 10. Some dogs bark, some dogs poop, but those issues are easier to remedy than a child who runs around unsupervised, knocking stuff down, grabbing at everything, screaming at their mommy or daddy for attention, crying hysterically, and bumping into adults without so much as an "excuse me" or "I'm sorry", while the parent(s) do NOTHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 04:04 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
I realize this thread is over a year old, and I respect people's opinion of not letting dogs into stores and restaurants. But to be honest, I would prefer any size or breed of dog in a place of business rather than a child under the age of 10. Some dogs bark, some dogs poop, but those issues are easier to remedy than a child who runs around unsupervised, knocking stuff down, grabbing at everything, screaming at their mommy or daddy for attention, crying hysterically, and bumping into adults without so much as an "excuse me" or "I'm sorry", while the parent(s) do NOTHING.
Here's a better idea....throw out the idiot parents that let the kids act this way. You can't blame the kids, if they are not corrected.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:06 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
My only complaint is the lack of dog friendly beaches on Long Island. With the amount of coastline we have its really a shame that Montauk is the only place you can bring your dog on the beach.
Gardiner County Park

Natural Areas of the South Shore of Long Island

Old 09-05-2012, 08:01 PM

265 posts, read 597,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
The same parents would do nothing to keep their dogs in check while in public. Dogs have no place in stores, PERIOD... unless the dog is a service dog, of course.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 PM

629 posts, read 1,700,559 times
Dog seating areas? Dogs in restaurants? Dogs in department stores? Someday the mother-ship is going to come back to earth and pick up all you pet-owning loons. In the mean time - why don't you all get some help for your mental/emotional illnesses that require you to seek emotional fulfillment from a species other than your own.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Yes, Gardiner Cty Park is a beautiful, dog-friendly park, BUT, it is infested with ticks.

During a hike last December, we met a beautiful Golden and it's owner. After stopping to talk and pet the dog, there were a few ticks already crawling on the dog's paw and leg. This was in December.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:26 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Some of the wiser areas of the country have realized that permitting leashed dogs in all park areas actually reduces and deters crime in those parks and walking trails. Long Island seems a bit slow on the uptake. Every park and trail should allow leashed dogs - you'd be surprised how unwelcome the family German Shepard or Rottweiler (or even lab, etc) appears to potential muggers and worse. Four years after the horrible attack in in Frazer Park (Greenlawn), the community now welcomes leashed dogs in the park as part of a community watch program. The Frazer Park Civic Association gets it.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 09-06-2012 at 03:39 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 05:28 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Yes, Gardiner Cty Park is a beautiful, dog-friendly park, BUT, it is infested with ticks.

During a hike last December, we met a beautiful Golden and it's owner. After stopping to talk and pet the dog, there were a few ticks already crawling on the dog's paw and leg. This was in December.
Hmmm I've been there a few times and haven't had a tick problem.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-06-2012, 05:42 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Dog seating areas? Dogs in restaurants? Dogs in department stores? Someday the mother-ship is going to come back to earth and pick up all you pet-owning loons. In the mean time - why don't you all get some help for your mental/emotional illnesses that require you to seek emotional fulfillment from a species other than your own.
Exactly. Sorry but FuFu and Kitty Kat are not a valid substitute for human contact.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 AM

551 posts, read 1,575,337 times
Not sure where the statement about dogs being allowed on beaches only in Montauk came from. Dogs are allowed on all hamptons beaches in the off-season, and on the non-town beach shorelines in season except during the day. The North Fork technically does not permit it, but that was news to all of the politicians who have been engaged in a raging debate on the subject all summer. Other than daytime during the summer -- when it is too hot for the dog to be on the beach anyway -- there are loads of dogs on the North Fork beaches too. Just pick up after yourself, keep the dog out of the dunes, leash the dog when approaching others, keep away from the plovers, etc. Since my dog likes to pick up every foreign object she sees, we turn our beach trips into clean-up duty, and collect the refuse left behind or blown ashore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island