Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 04:03 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I'd be willing to wager it's more like 20%, and nearly 50% in towns like Westbury and Hempstead.
In addition a great deal of New Hyde Park and Herricks residents use the N22 and N24 to the subway instead of taking the LIRR.
You're making stuff up. 20%?! What garbage John. More ludicrous than when you just called Mangano a racist for privatizing a system that 9 out of 10 of us DO NOT USE. We, in Nassau County, just paid $100 Million in MTA payroll tax last year... how much of that did you pay?
Stop saying "Mangano doesn't want to pay for it". It's you, the riders, that don't want to pay for it. Taxpayers pay 70% of your fares. Why does it have to be taxpayers that shoulder the burden, why not the actual people that use the service -- the riders pay for it? or at least pay for half of it? ....How greedy can people be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
This is gonna be quick because I've gotta run - but I wanted to get a reply in here before this thread got knocked off the first page and out of my memory entirely, since I'll have a lot more to add later on...
I agree with JIW on this one too, at least -,,,,,,,
sean, go to seethroughny.net . Select the Public Authority category. Select MTA for 2009, sort by highest pay.... here's one of the hundreds of abuse examples I found:

Metropolitan Transportation Authority Long Island RR Usher Annual $63,359 $155,986

2x base wasn't enough for that usher, he had to go for 2.5x base or $156 grand + $40 grand in benefits, like a lot of the people on the top 10 pages do. Some go as high as 3x base. Unreal, combine that with the fat pensions and benefits, half the MTA is making a $quarter million+ a year and we are paying for it big time. This isn't entirely about LI Bus.

Last edited by Pequaman; 03-19-2011 at 04:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 04:31 AM

929 posts, read 2,068,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Why does mass transit have to be profitable? It's a quasi-government service designed to benefit everyone (read the link I posted on the last page to see how it applies to you). By definition it's going to be unprofitable if you think of it like a business that exists only to sell a product.

We pay a tax for it because it's a beneficial service to have, even if you don't ride the bus. Those without cars are still taxed to pay for roads, stoplights and traffic cops. Those who... well, this says it better than me.

I mean I guess if you think that buses are only used by illegals then just keep on your merry way and sent me a postcard from crazytown.
No, it doesn't need to be profitable. Just better managed than my childhood friend who loved to play monopoly but just wanted to roll the dice and go around the board never buying any of the property.

Just because they don't have to be profitable doesn't give them an excuse for being poor custodians of the public's money.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:31 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
And so you'd have at least 10,000 more cars on the road everyday, and the roads are already maxed out. Then you'll be upset because all the roads are jammed and it takes 30 minutes to go 1 mile.
Even Einstein would see there's no room for more cars and public transit must be expanded, not cut.
Dont complain when you have to wait 30 minutes on line because all the clerks who take the bus couldn't get to work because there's no buses.
I'm always amazed at the amount of ignorance that exists on this fish shaped sandbar...
10,000 more cars? No one uses the buses anyway. NYC and LI are 2 different places. NYC's residents are almost 100% reliable on public transit. With the exception of the LIRR, public transit (ie buses) really isn't needed here...so why should we have to keep paying for them?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:30 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
No, it doesn't need to be profitable. Just better managed than my childhood friend who loved to play monopoly but just wanted to roll the dice and go around the board never buying any of the property.

Just because they don't have to be profitable doesn't give them an excuse for being poor custodians of the public's money.
While there are certainly reforms that need to be made, there is a certain amount of waste endemic to any organization, public or private, that we have to put up with as a society.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:59 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
10,000 more cars? No one uses the buses anyway. NYC and LI are 2 different places. NYC's residents are almost 100% reliable on public transit. With the exception of the LIRR, public transit (ie buses) really isn't needed here...so why should we have to keep paying for them?
and that is why ya enjoy gridlock!!! but the system should be improved so more ppl can begin to use it.

O and N88 is always crowded it shows that if done right transit can keep cars off the road. seriously 1 MILLION CARS IN ONE COUNTY IS MADNESS!!!!! Some buses make timed links with LIRR trains right in front of ur doorstep.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
You're making stuff up. 20%?! What garbage John. More ludicrous than when you just called Mangano a racist for privatizing a system that 9 out of 10 of us DO NOT USE. We, in Nassau County, just paid $100 Million in MTA payroll tax last year... how much of that did you pay?

Stop saying "Mangano doesn't want to pay for it". It's you, the riders, that don't want to pay for it. Taxpayers pay 70% of your fares. Why does it have to be taxpayers that shoulder the burden, why not the actual people that use the service -- the riders pay for it? or at least pay for half of it? ....How greedy can people be.

sean, go to seethroughny.net . Select the Public Authority category. Select MTA for 2009, sort by highest pay.... here's one of the hundreds of abuse examples I found:

Metropolitan Transportation Authority Long Island RR Usher Annual $63,359 $155,986

2x base wasn't enough for that usher, he had to go for 2.5x base or $156 grand + $40 grand in benefits, like a lot of the people on the top 10 pages do. Some go as high as 3x base. Unreal, combine that with the fat pensions and benefits, half the MTA is making a $quarter million+ a year and we are paying for it big time. This isn't entirely about LI Bus.
One thing I disagree with here is how come LI Bus riders are demonized for getting more subsidies than fares paid but the other transit systems around here (LIRR, MetroNorth, MTA subways and buses, Staten Island Ferry, etc.) are not?

Even your example of the "usher" for the LIRR (good term BTW) wasn't a LI Bus driver. What do the LI Bus drivers get? I doubt it's like that. As a matter of fact, for the last several years, any ads for LI Bus always said the jobs were "part time with benefits" so are the LI Bus drivers getting massive overtime on top of that? It sounds like their hiring system (part time) was set up not to have much overtime, if any at all.

If the LI Bus riders don't deserve subsidies, then why should anyone else? Even if, as was pointed out, there are MORE riders of the much larger transit systems like LIRR, etc., that only means MORE money for the taxpayers to have to chip in. Either everyone matters or nobody does. If LI Bus riders don't matter, than neither should the other mass transit commuters. Why should we pay more taxes for them but not for LI Bus?

Old 03-19-2011, 04:47 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_li_but View Post
one thing i disagree with here is how come li bus riders are demonized for getting more subsidies than fares paid but the other transit systems around here (lirr, metronorth, mta subways and buses, staten island ferry, etc.) are not?

Even your example of the "usher" for the lirr (good term btw) wasn't a li bus driver. What do the li bus drivers get? I doubt it's like that. As a matter of fact, for the last several years, any ads for li bus always said the jobs were "part time with benefits" so are the li bus drivers getting massive overtime on top of that? It sounds like their hiring system (part time) was set up not to have much overtime, if any at all.

If the li bus riders don't deserve subsidies, then why should anyone else? Even if, as was pointed out, there are more riders of the much larger transit systems like lirr, etc., that only means more money for the taxpayers to have to chip in. Either everyone matters or nobody does. If li bus riders don't matter, than neither should the other mass transit commuters. Why should we pay more taxes for them but not for li bus?
best post so far!!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:56 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
One thing I disagree with here is how come LI Bus riders are demonized for getting more subsidies than fares paid but the other transit systems around here (LIRR, MetroNorth, MTA subways and buses, Staten Island Ferry, etc.) are not?

Even your example of the "usher" for the LIRR (good term BTW) wasn't a LI Bus driver. What do the LI Bus drivers get? I doubt it's like that. As a matter of fact, for the last several years, any ads for LI Bus always said the jobs were "part time with benefits" so are the LI Bus drivers getting massive overtime on top of that? It sounds like their hiring system (part time) was set up not to have much overtime, if any at all.

If the LI Bus riders don't deserve subsidies, then why should anyone else? Even if, as was pointed out, there are MORE riders of the much larger transit systems like LIRR, etc., that only means MORE money for the taxpayers to have to chip in. Either everyone matters or nobody does. If LI Bus riders don't matter, than neither should the other mass transit commuters. Why should we pay more taxes for them but not for LI Bus?
LI Bus vs anything else is not apples to apples. We can control who services LIB, while the other transit systems are out of our control. Also, LIRR costs a lot more to ride and is much more widely used by Nassau County residents than LIBS. Do you have the figures for LIRR subsidies from the MTA? Until then, you can't really compare the two. Is it anywhere near LI Bus (which almost no one in Nassau County uses). Remember also, a significant % of LIB riders are Queens residents.

The same waste happens at LI Bus that you see happening across the board at the MTA. Look here> http://www.city-data.com/forum/17013276-post22.html
It's basically 30 pages of LI Bus MTA employees doubling their salaries through OT abuse.

I'm not demonizing John or Bus riders at all; I'm replying back to his claim that Nassau taxpayers are not paying enough towards this crappy service. Which MTA wants $17 Million from us for 56% LESS service this year! And they eventually want $40 Million from the county. Which they're not going to get, because Mangano is privatizing it. The MTA just received $100 Million from Nassau residents through the payroll tax last year, and applied none of this towards LI Bus. Basically, Bloomberg pushed hard for the MTA payroll tax, because the city needs money from everyone else to keep its transit systems running. So Nassau and every county in the MCTD outside of NYC, is subsidizing New York City’s transportation system.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
LI Bus vs anything else is not apples to apples. We can control who services LIB, while the other transit systems are out of our control. Also, LIRR costs a lot more to ride and is much more widely used by Nassau County residents than LIBS. Do you have the figures for LIRR subsidies from the MTA? Until then, you can't really compare the two. Is it anywhere near LI Bus (which almost no one in Nassau County uses). Remember also, a significant % of LIB riders are Queens residents.

The same waste happens at LI Bus that you see happening across the board at the MTA. Look here> http://www.city-data.com/forum/17013276-post22.html
It's basically 30 pages of LI Bus MTA employees doubling their salaries through OT abuse.

I'm not demonizing John or Bus riders at all; I'm replying back to his claim that Nassau taxpayers are not paying enough towards this crappy service. Which MTA wants $17 Million from us for 56% LESS service this year! And they eventually want $40 Million from the county. Which they're not going to get, because Mangano is privatizing it. The MTA just received $100 Million from Nassau residents through the payroll tax last year, and applied none of this towards LI Bus. Basically, Bloomberg pushed hard for the MTA payroll tax, because the city needs money from everyone else to keep its transit systems running. So Nassau and every county in the MCTD outside of NYC, is subsidizing New York City’s transportation system.
Thank you for posting the link to that post.

If we are getting a whole lot of nothing out of the MTA Tax here on LI, how can we get out of it? When is NYC going to pay their fair share?

The MTA has really screwed us royally and they should have been using that extra $100M towards LI Bus.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Thank you for posting the link to that post.

If we are getting a whole lot of nothing out of the MTA Tax here on LI, how can we get out of it? When is NYC going to pay their fair share?

The MTA has really screwed us royally and they should have been using that extra $100M towards LI Bus.
There is another idea, and that is having Long Island's own TA, the Long Island Transportation Authority to run the buses and the LIRR.
I do agree we pay alot of taxes that wind up going toward the city, which is why we may be better off breaking away from the MTA and forming "LITA".
Perhaps we could get better service by taking all the money we currently send to the MTA to run our own services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island