U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:39 PM

16,417 posts, read 27,148,997 times

Advertisements

From the "stranger things have happened/politics makes strange bedfellows" division of Mobile Newsday:

Mangano plan calls for hundreds of layoffs
Top Stories Item

Quote:
Hundreds of public employees in Nassau could be without jobs by July 1 under a plan by County Executive Edward Mangano to cut costs to satisfy a state watchdog agency.

At a news conference Wednesday, Mangano said he would meet a Tuesday deadline to submit a revised financial plan to the Nassau Interim Finance Authority, which took control of Nassau's finances in January. That plan includes $50.5 million in labor savings from layoffs, attrition and the elimination of vacant positions as part of $121 million in spending cuts that Mangano expects to put in place by July.

While most county union members have no-layoff clauses in their contracts, Mangano said his outside labor counsel believes the provision does not apply during a control period, a position that drew differing opinions from union leaders.
Well at least Mangano is getting help when it comes to laying off the little guys (in terms of compensation):

Quote:
Jerry Laricchiuta, president of Nassau's Civil Service Employees Association, said Mangano is correct about the no-layoff provision not applying during a control period. While union lawyers are researching the question, Laricchiuta said a three-year concession agreement negotiated by former County Executive Thomas Suozzi reads: "There shall be no lay off of bargaining unit members through Dec. 31, 2011 unless the Nassau Interim Finance Authority (or any successive organization) institutes a control act period."

The concession agreement negotiated by the Police Benevolent Association requires the county to pay millions of dollars in deferred wages before it can lay off cops -- effectively a no-layoff provision, according to union president James Carver.

"All contract provisions remain in effect," Carver said.

Mangano would not comment on whether police would be laid off, but he did announce a restructuring of the department that he said would save $15 million. He did not give details except to indicate he would move officers onto the streets from special assignments.
Are there many public service unions that have a "no layoff" agreement like the CSEA does?

I'm surprised LI's public school teachers' unions haven't jumped all over this one by now.

As usual, none of these special interest groups cares about the community. The community is in place solely to provide them with "jobs" with all the perks and pay raises they can demand under the sun via property tax raises on the taxpayers. Have fun getting a job in the private sector. You will get an education on what the real world is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 12:37 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,516,499 times
Yet he keeps blaming NIFA for the layoffs..
Top Stories Item

They gotta stop the mud slinging, including Yatauro, who was there and (in the majority to boot) when the union contracts were negotiated 5-6 years ago.
Want to stop the layoffs? get real union concessions in Nassau County.

Teachers Union giving back (Comsewogue)

Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 PM

2,845 posts, read 8,708,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I'm surprised LI's public school teachers' unions haven't jumped all over this one by now.

As usual, none of these special interest groups cares about the community. The community is in place solely to provide them with "jobs" with all the perks and pay raises they can demand under the sun via property tax raises on the taxpayers. Have fun getting a job in the private sector. You will get an education on what the real world is like.
I, for one, am utterly in disbelief that the heroic defenders of the middle class are not heroically defending the middle class

Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 PM

18,305 posts, read 14,183,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Yet he keeps blaming NIFA for the layoffs..
Top Stories Item

They gotta stop the mud slinging, including Yatauro, who was there and (in the majority to boot) when the union contracts were negotiated 5-6 years ago.
Want to stop the layoffs? get real union concessions in Nassau County.

Teachers Union giving back (Comsewogue)
The ones who are doing the mudslinging is Mangano, Schmitt. Quite a few Union Concessions were given about 5-6 years ago. In fact neither Suozzi or the PBA could come to an agreement since, it was actually settled through arbitration. The PBA DETESTED Suozzi because of the rather hard line he held against the Union during the negotiations of the new contracts in 05-06. They sent out some brutal mailings against Suozzi during his 05 race against Peterson as a result of everything that was going on with the contract negotiations.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:57 AM

8,680 posts, read 12,453,349 times
You know, I'm pretty left-winged. As such, I tend to vote Democratic. But a) I had problems with Suozzi, and b) even I can see the partisanship going on with NIFA at this point.*

If Suozzi was allowed to borrow against the future, why isn't Mangano? To hear him tell it at the end of last year, Nassau came out in the black.

My beef is not so much that Mangano should be allowed to borrow, but that Suozzi was. You can't have it both ways: Either the County Exec can borrow or he can't. NIFA did change the rules midstream.

*Don't get your hopes up. No one here is worried about layoffs. I speak solely from a political viewpoint. In fact, I have to thank the concerned citizens who complained about various and sundry a few months ago. Well, you got your investigation. The results may not be what you had spitefully hoped for, though. If anything, you made a case for more man-power to staff a reopened wing. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:45 PM

152 posts, read 304,464 times
I hate to admit it but I voted for Mangano and regret it. He needs to call the Governor in NJ and ask him how to cut expenses and stop blaming everyone else for the problems. Oh yea and perhaps go to NCC and take a few courses on public speaking.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,974,390 times
AGREED I may be democrat but I kinda like the new NJ governor. He makes sense. However I think MTA has lost touch with its people!!!!! and 100,000 rides in a county of 1 million for a bus system is TERRIBLE!!!!!!! They need an overhaul badly

Old 03-19-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
You know, I'm pretty left-winged. As such, I tend to vote Democratic. But a) I had problems with Suozzi, and b) even I can see the partisanship going on with NIFA at this point.*

If Suozzi was allowed to borrow against the future, why isn't Mangano? To hear him tell it at the end of last year, Nassau came out in the black.

My beef is not so much that Mangano should be allowed to borrow, but that Suozzi was. You can't have it both ways: Either the County Exec can borrow or he can't. NIFA did change the rules midstream.

*Don't get your hopes up. No one here is worried about layoffs. I speak solely from a political viewpoint. In fact, I have to thank the concerned citizens who complained about various and sundry a few months ago. Well, you got your investigation. The results may not be what you had spitefully hoped for, though. If anything, you made a case for more man-power to staff a reopened wing. Thanks!

I think its a combination of multiple factors. For starters the amount that Mangano wants to borrow. Also looking at the budget itself, there is more risk in this budget than in Suozzi's budgets. Its calling for various deals that may or may not happen, revenue increases from sales taxes, red light cameras, etc that may or may not happen. Just more risk involved which creates more potential problem, resulting in potentially more borrowing needed. On top of that after the downgrades of the bond ratings we have had over the last few months, it makes borrowing more expensive.

Borrowing has been a problem for decades, but the fact we are seeing even more of it now, combined with the increased risks in other portions of the budget as well as the increase cost of borrowing due to the bond rating drop all figure into why its being made more of an issue now than a few years ago.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool0890 View Post
I hate to admit it but I voted for Mangano and regret it. He needs to call the Governor in NJ and ask him how to cut expenses and stop blaming everyone else for the problems. Oh yea and perhaps go to NCC and take a few courses on public speaking.
Part of the problem is, there really isn't all that much to cut. He ran on a platform in part on things that didn't exist in order to get himself elected.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:21 PM

16,417 posts, read 27,148,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Part of the problem is, there really isn't all that much to cut. He ran on a platform in part on things that didn't exist in order to get himself elected.
I think Nassau County's share of property taxes is lower than it should be because of a lack of raising taxes on its part to offset the enormous take of the school districts, and because Nassau has also been paying the freight for decades for the school districts' portions of returned money via successful tax grievances.

If it weren't for the school districts taking so much, Nassau County itself would have a more decent amount of money and might not have had to supplement its budget with creative borrowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or