Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:46 AM

929 posts, read 2,067,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Median Person? Do you mean median household? Don't many households have just one adult in any case? Cops have 'cushy' jobs? Teachers start at 40k...Is this getting silly and overwrought or is it just me?
Nope, median salary for an individual on Long Island for a male is about 65k and 40k for a female. So, a median teacher making 100k means that they are making approximately 200% of the median individual salary of a Long Islander.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Really? You just said in your other post that "child care is more expensive" than your income was when you worked. So your husband's take-home pay as a teacher is less than what you would have to pay a babysitter? I doubt it. Inconsistent.
I know you know EVERYTHING but child care really is expensive on LI. I left my job because child care for 2 children under 2 was almost as much as my take home. Now I realize that is "my own fault" if I want to "sit around with my kids" but if you want to talk facts, then let's do that. If I hired someone (possibly illegal) off the books, surely I could find some cheap childcare. If I paid to have them cared for in a center it would be $1,050 for my younger child and roughly $950 for my older. That would only cover them 5 days a week from 8-4. It would be an extra $160 per child to send them from 7am-6pm, which are the hours I'd need. So that's $2,300 a month.

Now that is a choice every family has to make. As for "sitting around not working" please take a look at my post count and compare it to the other people who post here.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Nope, median salary for an individual on Long Island for a male is about 65k and 40k for a female. So, a median teacher making 100k means that they are making approximately 200% of the median individual salary of a Long Islander.
Is the median teacher salary 100k? Is that a fact?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 AM

517 posts, read 2,484,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
They had a place in society, and that time is long gone;
If you believe that conditions won't revert to what they were pre-unions then perhaps you are out of touch with reality. But I hope not to find out. It certainly doesn't bode well to me the amount of corporations that shipped their jobs overseas where there are less restrictions on working conditions and child labor. Not that this is a problem for teaching unions, but in terms of unions in general.

In terms of the teachers, I have worked with Principals who I would not trust if I did not have union protections. How many threads on this site have talked about the rampant nepotism of the school system - and that's with the protection of the union. As it is, its difficult to get hired unless you know someone. If you got rid of the unions and the tenure system, I don't doubt that the problem would worsen and qualified teachers would be removed to make way for either younger cheaper teachers or simply teachers that know the right person.

Quote:
And, I believe LI school taxes rising 70%-100% for most of us over the last 7 years, played a huge part in the recession on LI. If you can't see how that is a problem in a 4-yr 'great recession', then you're out of touch with reality, like I said earlier. Just because you are in the middle class, doesn't mean you're protected from being oblivious to the root of the problems.
I never said that there wasn't a problem. What I said was that people would be more likely to get more concessions if they actually appreciated when the unions made concessions in the first place instead of immediately complaining that the concessions weren't enough. And yes, I still think its an obvious point that most people will not willingly offer up a pay cut. I think that their offer of a salary freeze should be viewed as a positive.

As for comparing free market to public, you started that comparison. I never said that contracts were the norm, I simply stated a fact that there is some negotiation of salary in the free market. Its simply done on an individual basis. And your explanation that the public decides your salary is way too simplistic. Also, in the private sector, if your boss tells you that your salary is being cut then you have the option of going elsewhere while remaining in your field. Not exactly the case for public employees.

The appeal of the public sector, has always been its reliability and steadiness in times of economic turmoil. While the appeal of the private sector is that you can usually get higher salaries and bonuses, but with the added risks associated with economic downturns. This of course, doesn't really work out for the teachers - private doesn't pay as well as public but rather, the benefit to private schools is the ability to select students and remove students who do not perform.

I'm not an idiot, and I'm not out of touch, I'm saying that the "root of the problem" isn't just one thing. Roots, since that's your metaphor, have multiple branches and we need to look at all of them. Teacher salaries are one issue but there are a whole host of other issues that we can also explore.

Remember when the lottery was started and the goal was for it to help pay for education? I see people in the convenience store every day buying tons of lotto tickets. I can't find anything that traces any of that money back to education the way it was originally intended. Maybe it does but who is overseeing that? Perhaps, you don't think that this is as important or as immediate as teacher salaries to discuss but if you direct all of your energies into just one area you are limiting the possibilities for solutions.

Quote:
Food for thought: Why is New York dead LAST in business startups and FIRST in business failures & population loss, in the US? Do you see that as a healthy trend for the future prospects of a state?
I'm not going to pretend to be an authority here on small businesses, but I'd venture to say that the answer is not a simple one.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 AM

33 posts, read 69,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Really? You just said in your other post that "child care is more expensive" than your income was when you worked. So your husband's take-home pay as a teacher is less than what you would have to pay a babysitter? I doubt it. Inconsistent.

If you are paying the mortgage, real estate taxes and insurance on the rental you are living in, you are getting ripped off. Landlords don't send you the bill for THEIR mortgage, THEIR property taxes, or make you buy THEIR homeowner's insurance. You pay rent and buy your own RENTER'S insurance and it covers YOUR belongings, not the home itself. Paying rent is cheaper than buying. If you can afford all this on the rental, then why aren't you paying it on a home of your own anyway? Sorry, nobody's dumb enough to throw money away like that, especially when their name isn't on the deed and they can't write any of it off. Inconsistent.

You were complaining a lot as if you were someone who felt entitled to own a home on one teacher's salary.

The single paychecks of your neighbors, no matter where it came from, is more than your husband's if they own their houses or some bought their houses before the real estate bubble.

I have more bad news for you. Even for those teachers that are making $100K a year, that won't pay for a decent home on LI anyway on that ONE SALARY if you want to buy one nowadays. So regardless of whether or not your husband makes $100K, if you want a home, you will have to get off your duff and get a job too. Since now you claim to have "made almost as much as your husband does" as opposed to "making less than it costs to pay a babysitter," then a house should be within your reach if you want to work for it ... especially far out in Suffolk where homes are less expensive.

Maybe if you become homeowners, you will finally realize the doubling and tripling of real estate taxes every decade (or less) to mostly pay for teacher, administrator and superintendant raises, benefits, and pensions is unsustainable. Good luck. It's within your grasp if you are willing to work for it.
The home we currently live in is owned by a family memeber and we pay EXACTLY what the current costs are for the mortgage, taxes and homeowners insurance. The house was purchased in 2008 and the costs to pay all of that is $2300 a month. We have two small children, which obviously you do not .....so you have no idea how much childcare costs are. Many two income households have family members (grandma and grandpa) babysitting for free so the parents can work - this is not our situation. I would gladly work, I did it for years but we would barely break even. My husband is buying his first home this year and is very excited to be doing so after working for 20 years and being debt free for the last five. We are buying in a neighborhood/school district that gets bashed on here all the time. I previously owned my own home for years and it was sold in my divorce a while ago making no profit as this was all prior to the housing price increases, and it was located in another one of those neighborhoods that the people on here badmouth with a vengance.

Again my point was that teachers with masters degrees have been working for over 15 years and are making under 100k while everyone seems to think they all make 120k plus after working for a few years. There may be tons of people working on LI that are making 50k a year but most of them do not have masters degrees. I have a few friends who have no college at all working as retail store managers making over 75k a year. Also someone mentioned LIRR workers making 100k + to punch tickets.....yes that is true and they own homes in towns I could never afford to live in next door to the 30 year old police officers making 160k.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 AM

929 posts, read 2,067,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
Here is some data from 2005. Increase the salaries by the average increase and multiply by 6 years and you'll have the median salary today. Also, remember that certain "benefits" aren't counted as salary.

Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com

Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comsewoguefam View Post
The home we currently live in is owned by a family memeber and we pay EXACTLY what the current costs are for the mortgage, taxes and homeowners insurance. The house was purchased in 2008 and the costs to pay all of that is $2300 a month. We have two small children, which obviously you do not .....so you have no idea how much childcare costs are. Many two income households have family members (grandma and grandpa) babysitting for free so the parents can work - this is not our situation. I would gladly work, I did it for years but we would barely break even. My husband is buying his first home this year and is very excited to be doing so after working for 20 years and being debt free for the last five. We are buying in a neighborhood/school district that gets bashed on here all the time. I previously owned my own home for years and it was sold in my divorce a while ago making no profit as this was all prior to the housing price increases, and it was located in another one of those neighborhoods that the people on here badmouth with a vengance.

Again my point was that teachers with masters degrees have been working for over 15 years and are making under 100k while everyone seems to think they all make 120k plus after working for a few years. There may be tons of people working on LI that are making 50k a year but most of them do not have masters degrees. I have a few friends who have no college at all working as retail store managers making over 75k a year. Also someone mentioned LIRR workers making 100k + to punch tickets.....yes that is true and they own homes in towns I could never afford to live in next door to the 30 year old police officers making 160k.
I understand your point . However - not all of us are lucky enough to be cops, teachers or LIRR conductors in spite of our four year (or more advanced) degrees. Try the engineering field - you will start around 60k and be lucky to be making 130K in your fifties (if you are lucky enough to be working because there is no union protecting you). You work 40 hours/week and get two weeks off a year. Period. No pension, you fund your own 401k. You pay 40% of your healthcare , and the plan is no Cadillac but you're happy to have it.
Or try nursing, where you work the same shifts that our cops do (but we never hear nurses crying about it) , a grueling career that requires advanced education in the sciences . You are exposed to danger and disease every day. Do nurses make $100K on LI ? I don't think so.
IMO a four year engineering degree or nursing degree requires much more work than a masters in education from one of the LI college factories, where writing papers instead of taking exams seems to be the norm.....

Last edited by lifetimeliguy; 03-20-2011 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-20-2011, 10:19 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comsewoguefam View Post

Why do you think having a Masters Degree or not should have such a big influence on what salary you will or even should make? I know some people with no college making over $200K and I know some people with MBA's not breaking $100K. Did I miss somewhere that a Masters Degree automatically gets me a higher income?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
Cost for teachers from the taxpayers is around $105,000 give or take a few grand.
Average teacher salary is $80,000
Roughly 25-30% of teachers are making six figure salaries before benefits are factored in.

Average raise in private sector is about 3%, with the last few years being hit or miss with even getting a raise at all.
Average teachers raises are between 7-8% yearly, including the last few years.

In New York, private sector employees can expect around 13,100 dollars in benefits per year.
Teachers are averaging 20,000-25,000 per year.

No one has a problem paying a teacher, people have a problem overpaying while at the same time footing the bill for pensions, healthcare, dental, etc.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:18 AM

33 posts, read 69,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I understand your point . However - not all of us are lucky enough to be cops, teachers or LIRR conductors in spite of our four year (or more advanced) degrees. Try the engineering field - you will start around 60k and be lucky to be making 130K in your fifties (if you are lucky enough to be working because there is no union protecting you). You work 40 hours/week and get two weeks off a year. Period. No pension, you fund your own 401k. You pay 40% of your healthcare , and the plan is no Cadillac but you're happy to have it.
Or try nursing, where you work the same shifts that our cops do (but we never hear nurses crying about it) , a grueling career that requires advanced education in the sciences . You are exposed to danger and disease every day. Do nurses make $100K on LI ? I don't think so.
IMO a four year engineering degree or nursing degree requires much more work than a masters in education from one of the LI college factories, where writing papers instead of taking exams seems to be the norm.....
My neighbor became a nurse four years ago (a two year degree from SCCC) and she makes 75k + benefits working four days a week in the local hospital. She ******* all the time about her job! My mother and two of my aunts are nurses. Both of my aunts make over 100k a year, one at a LI VA Hospital and one at a prominent Dallas hospital. My mom works for a local doctors office after working in the hospitals years ago. Cops make 100k after a few years. One is my neighbor who renovated his entire home while on the job with his police car parked out front every day while he and his boys put in a new kitchen, beautiful wood floors, new cedar shakes, ect.. He has the nicest house in the neighborhood and rents an illegal apartment in it too! NICE
Most private sector jobs pay a higher salary in a shorter amount of time and match your 401k. I worked in the private sector for years and had health insurance, a 401k which (was matched by my employer) and made good money (which a majority went to paying childcare). I was 23 years old making not much less than my 40 something year old husband makes now. I bought a home, leased beautiful cars that I could write off, my cell phone and bill was discounted through the company, and I went on vacations paid for by the company due to winning sales records. After five years I had three weeks paid vacation. I have many many friends in the private sector still living that way most now making 150k to 200k in their mid 30's. My heart is not bleeding for the public or private sector and I realize that there are perks all the way around.
And yes I do believe that higher education should lead to higher salaries. Along with dedication and hard work, education is primary to move up in our society. I hope my children go on to college and work to obtain their American dream.
My husbands degree initially was in business and he went back to school to obtain a masters in Special Education along with certifications in many other subjects. Teaching special education and behavior problem children in an economically challenged school district is as rewarding as it is exhausting, but you will NEVER hear him ***** or complain. He loves the kids and his job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island