U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 08:32 PM

339 posts, read 744,393 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are looking to move into a nice apartment together sometime in the near future. We are in our late 20's (27 and 29) but there are some issues we are having on choosing a good location that's convenient for both of us....here is some backstory...

Let me start off by saying that she is a city girl.....raised in Manhattan....lives and works there now.....I have been an LI guy most of my life, raised in the suburbs. Most of her family lives in Manhattan or Westchester......most of my family and friends live pretty far out east in the Miller Place/Selden area....so it can get kinda hectic when having to go visit and hangout with family and friends.

The location we are trying to agree on is that she does not want to be too far from her family or friends, and neither do I, so we are trying to pick somewhere centrally located, close to LIRR because the works in the city, and she also doesn't want more than an hour or so average train ride (she currently has only a 20 min subway ride).

Somewhere with a nice downtown area with good bars and restaurants is also a plus for us.

I have heard good things about Port Jeff (nice bars and restaurants), but I think that may be too far in terms of the train ride (isn't the Port Jeff line almost a 2 hour ride?)

Someone also mentioned Huntington to me, but I heard that is a rich, pricey area so I don't know how the rents are there. Also heard the people can be very snobby.

An area of Nassau that I heard is "up and coming" is Westbury, but that may be a tad far west for my taste because I grew up in Suffolk my whole life and know next to nothing about Nassau towns.

As you can see we are kind of unsure of where to go, so any suggestions would be welcome.....Thanks!...it's becoming a logistical annoyance.

(PS-if she gets her way and we move to Queens (which I dont want to) we were thinking of eastern Queens..)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 PM

9,208 posts, read 19,069,616 times
Your budget may have an impact of where you CAN live. Rents can vary from one area to the next.
Do you have an approx. amount in mind?

Port Washington should work for her and might work for you...

Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 AM

339 posts, read 744,393 times
We both have full time jobs, so we would like a nice 1 bedroom, possibly 2 (to make into a computer office, extra storage space) and our budget is around 2000.....we do not want to pay more than 900-1000 each as one of the reasons we are moving in together is that we are trying to save money.

I do not know much about Port Washington....are there a lot of young people there? Does it have a nice downtown area with bars and restaurants?

One of her relatives suggested we look into either Babylon or Bay Shore, as they are both somewhat centrally located and the LIRR commute is reasonable....?

Thank you for your help

Old 03-24-2011, 07:14 AM

344 posts, read 595,709 times
It's a good commute to Penn from Port Washington (36 minute train ride), and there is a decently walkable Main St. area with plenty of restaurants and bars.

My spouse and I lived in Astoria, Queens for 3 years before moving to Port Washington. We're 28, both work in Manhattan, grew up on LI; seem to be similar to you guys. We love both areas.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 AM

23 posts, read 83,284 times
Check out Bayside. It is one town west of Nassau County. Affordable apartments,thirty minute commute to NYC and if you live near Bell Blvd, there are tons of bars/restaurants.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 AM

121 posts, read 460,856 times
Let me start off by saying that she is a city girl.....raised in Manhattan....lives and works there
Quote:
now.....I have been an LI guy most of my life, raised in the suburbs. Most of her family lives in Manhattan or Westchester......most of my family and friends live pretty far out east in the Miller Place/Selden area....so it can get kinda hectic when having to go visit and hangout with family and friends.
Definitely look into Bayside. My fiance and i just bought a house in Massapequa after living in Bayside for 5 years. We loved it! The train ride to Penn Station is 25 mintues. You get a good mix of city life and suburban life. It is not as crazy as other areas of Queens that i can't stand personally (i.e. Forest Hills, Flushing, etc.), and you get the benefits of being close to the city. The down side: there is no subway that goes to Bayside. The closest station is Flushing

Good luck

Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 AM

257 posts, read 643,721 times
I was thinking bayside in Queens as well, but if you're looking for a bit more suburban Long Island, I would suggest Rockville Centre or even Freeport (Nautical mile is great in the summer). Hicksville is very centrally located and only about 30 min to manhattan on an express train, and might get you the cheapest rent if you're really looking to save.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 AM

98 posts, read 657,135 times
Look into Long Beach....I lived there for a while and we loved it! LIRR to Penn is about 50min-1hr. Rent with an ocean front/view is not too bad.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 AM

311 posts, read 872,726 times
Queens Village is very nice, right on the border of Nassau/Queens. There's always something going on there.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 AM

257 posts, read 643,721 times
MLSLI.com
MLSLI.com
MLSLI.com

These should give you a general idea of what you can get...I know someone who lives in this complex in Bayside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or