Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:58 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I was watching Stewart and there was a comedy bit about an Eruv for WHB?

Why would anyone want such a thing? It seems kind of dumb when even other Jews are in opposition to it.
JEWISH PEOPLE OPPOSED TO THE ERUV -JPOEWHB.COM

Was this a joke or could somene shed some light on the benefits of this for the greater community. Its seems kind of weird.

Crooks
This is what it is.

It is a way for them to weasel out of following the constraints of their religion. An Eruv is not something made up by God, that's for sure, and not something sanctioned by the Torah/Bible/etc. etc. and etc. If they are so religious, they should just stay INSIDE on the days they are supposed to instead of stringing up some magic mumbo jumbo fishing line to stand in between and "pretend" they are following their religion to the letter. They are not. They should not drag the rest of the world into their pretending to be following their religion either. Let them erect Eruvs on their own property, like in their own backyards if they want them. Leave the rest of us out of it and leave public property out of it.

Either you are following your religion as written or not. Period. It reminds me of the old term "a technical virgin" ... that's a female whose done EVERYTHING and had contact in all of their orifices except their hymen isn't broken. But she can still say she's a virgin and is following the "rules." LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
As for Synagogue membership most articles I see show a decrease in enrollment and a lesser observance of the practices among American Jews.
The Jewish community is splitting - on one side people become less intermarried, less observant, and less affiliated.

On the other, among those families with strong jewish commitment, almost always inmarried (including of course married to Jews by Choice) there is rising observance, greater commitment to day school education, etc. Greater affiliation with orthodoxy, but also with independent groups(minyanim) in between C and O, and cores of more observant C and even Reform and Recon Jews.

There arent enough of the latter to prevent C Judaism from losing numbers (though some of the C's loss is because our most commited young people find C to generic, not traditional enough, and are going to either modern O or to the independent minyanim)

Old 03-24-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
"No fiscal impact"? Are people volunteering their time, vehicles, and wires (or whatever they use) to do this? Doubtful. No such thing as a free lunch.
You would have to ask the utilities, I guess.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
You would have to ask the utilities, I guess.
I don't think I would need to, considering it's pretty obvious that none of that is really free.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Either you are following your religion as written or not. Period. .
Judaism doesnt work like that. We have written torah and "oral" torah, the tradition of interpretation. Rabbis have making interpretations to get around rules in the written torah for over 2000 years. You dont have to like that - you dont have to belong to one of the branches of Judaism that respect that tradition.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:06 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Judaism doesnt work like that. We have written torah and "oral" torah, the tradition of interpretation. Rabbis have making interpretations to get around rules in the written torah for over 2000 years. You dont have to like that - you dont have to belong to one of the branches of Judaism that respect that tradition.
And they don't have to force it on the community at large in public spaces.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Of course it doesn't "work like that"

You guys have people who dedicate their lives to reinterpreting some papers that other people already interpreted.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I don't think I would need to, considering it's pretty obvious that none of that is really free.

since you dont know A. How much work is being done by the utilities vs the eruv group and B. How much time is available when utility workers need to be on site, but arent doing anything, etc, I would suggest you dont know.

I once did cost analysis for a railroad - our yard crews had minimum 8 hour shifts - there were times when they could do additional work with no fiscal impact.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Of course it doesn't "work like that"

You guys have people who dedicate their lives to reinterpreting some papers that other people already interpreted.

yes, thats Judaism. I dont tell catholicism what its supposed to be like or protestantism, or islam.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
. Leave the rest of us out of it and leave public property out of it.
i dont see where public property is involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island