Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 10:03 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,152,124 times

Advertisements

Do LI residents actually feel like they live on an island? If not, do you ever think it's weird to live on an island that doesn't feel like one? Are you ever concerned that the only way out is through New York City or a ferry to Connecticut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,101,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Do LI residents actually feel like they live on an island? If not, do you ever think it's weird to live on an island that doesn't feel like one? Are you ever concerned that the only way out is through New York City or a ferry to Connecticut?
I totally feel like I live on an Island, but I'm lucky enough to see the water everyday.

No...I'm not concerned about getting out.
I'm more concerned about people getting in.

Crooks

Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,674,589 times
Where is the Professor and Mary Anne?

Old 03-31-2011, 06:50 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,490,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Where is the Professor and Mary Anne?
They moved to NC.

Seriously though...it definitely feels like an island and it's one of the reasons we moved here. I think the Sound is way underrated. And being 20 min from the ocean ain't so bad either.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times
You can see the water a lot Doesn't take long to get to a beach (though the north shore beaches aren't very beachlike they're still pretty). I think being on an island makes the place more insulated, since it take forever to get to other places out of the island, partly because of traffic bottlenecks and pbecause of geography.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 AM

929 posts, read 2,060,839 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't feel like an Island. Just like living in Australia doesn't feel like living on an island. It feels like living on the coast. However, the geography of Long Island does offer specific benefits/costs.

Space is at a premium, so it's crowded but our housing market has been insulated due to the limited inventory and lack of building options. The fact that we have NYC on one end and the hamptons on the other means you can be in two completely different world class places within two hours by car. The beaches are great and every type of topography exists save for a desert/tundra. However, the population lowers the benefit of the beaches. Ever seen Field 5 on a nice Saturday in July?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,561,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You can see the water a lot Doesn't take long to get to a beach (though the north shore beaches aren't very beachlike they're still pretty). I think being on an island makes the place more insulated, since it take forever to get to other places out of the island, partly because of traffic bottlenecks and pbecause of geography.
Look up the definition of beach. North shore beaches are beachlike and fall completely within the definition of beach. They are different from an ocean beach.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,561,716 times
Quote:
I grew up on LI but not near the water. Back then it could have been anywhere -- mainland or island. Now the daily view of the water and moist, marine smelling air remind me I am on an island.

In the event of an emergency, the limited routes off LI would concern me. Good thing I can walk to my boat!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 PM

401 posts, read 940,396 times
I do feel like I'm living on an island. Especially when I try to get off...oh the hassle. I have a canoe in my yard. My only means of escape for my family and three dogs. I'm hoping to graduate to a kayak someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: