U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:16 AM

791 posts, read 1,210,742 times

Advertisements

This is a real mean hit on the poorest Long Island Residents.

Why, you may ask, should I subsidize this bus when I don't use it? The answer is: you do...those low wage people take care of your aged parents, bag your groceries, and mop your floors. You are liable to wind up paying, anyway, when those people find other employment in NYC, or tack on the costs of taxicabs on to what they charge you.

Cuts in mass transit service are 180 degrees from the course we as a nation should be taking, as is extremely obvious from recent world events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:26 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,321,888 times
Yes, we all need to subsidize those drunks who lost their licenses too.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 AM

4,123 posts, read 6,703,300 times
they're also going to be cutting beds in the prison system so next time you get locked up maybe they'll turn you loose early.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
This is a real mean hit on the poorest Long Island Residents.

Why, you may ask, should I subsidize this bus when I don't use it? The answer is: you do...those low wage people take care of your aged parents, bag your groceries, and mop your floors. You are liable to wind up paying, anyway, when those people find other employment in NYC, or tack on the costs of taxicabs on to what they charge you.

Cuts in mass transit service are 180 degrees from the course we as a nation should be taking, as is extremely obvious from recent world events.
This is Nassau County, what do you expect?

All those people who are patting Mangano on the back for this one because they personally don't ride the bus and think "the riders should pay the full cost of it; we don't want to subsidize them" are in for a big surprise when it comes to TRAFFIC with more people being forced to get a personal vehicle and use it. They can also get used to a lack of availability of workers because of lack of transportation and subsequent steeply rising costs of hourly labor (yes, like your mom's home health aide; get used to wiping the poop out of her butt yourselves OR get used to chauffering her aide to and fro) if the most draconian plans go through.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:05 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,321,888 times
Poor people should walk.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,665,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
This is Nassau County, what do you expect?

All those people who are patting Mangano on the back for this one because they personally don't ride the bus and think "the riders should pay the full cost of it; we don't want to subsidize them" are in for a big surprise when it comes to TRAFFIC with more people being forced to get a personal vehicle and use it. They can also get used to a lack of availability of workers because of lack of transportation and subsequent steeply rising costs of hourly labor (yes, like your mom's home health aide; get used to wiping the poop out of her butt yourselves OR get used to chauffering her aide to and fro) if the most draconian plans go through.
Have you ever thought about the fact that LI BUS is not even available in many parts of this county? Have you tried to use it from Massapequa? I've tried when my car was in the shop and had the worst experience. (ie, 75 minutes, 2 different buses for a 20 minute car ride). Yeah, it's great for central Nassau and other regions, but not for most of us here. Plus, the cost is too heavily subsidized by the county, $2 fares..it cost $1.25-$1.50, I think when I started riding 20 years ago. Everything auto related has gone up 4-fold since then, yet we still subsidize 75% of LIB riders.

The heck with that, I wan't to see what a private operator can do..maybe we'll actually have some service in my area so we're not paying huge bucks for NO service. The MTA payroll tax is a stinger and was the nail in the coffin for LIBS; that's why most people say to hell with the greedy, bloated MTA.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Poor people should walk.
Would you consider allowing them to have bicycles?

Old 03-28-2011, 03:04 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,386,557 times
Mass transit on the Island is a joke to begin with.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:08 PM

338 posts, read 670,920 times
Quote:
Yes, we all need to subsidize those drunks who lost their licenses too.

what about those teens that need a bus to get to work? I had to rely on the bus system for 3 years until I got a license to get to work and other places.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,108,072 times
Quote:
Poor people should walk.
Moderator cut: language removed

How cold could you get!!!! The mass transit was in a form regular ppl couldn't use so that was why 9 out of 10 didnt use it cause they are already traveling long before the first bus try to educate urself first I would laugh at the new traffic jams

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-29-2011 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or