Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:47 AM

338 posts, read 777,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
At least a decade. Which does beg the question....when did this occurrence happen with you? I've had FIOS for a while now and Verizon....well, since they became Verizon here and my bills have been steady for so long it's ridiculous.
I beleive verizon took over in 96, i could be wrong but their crazy prices forced me to switch as soon as thier monopoly was broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequadude View Post
I beleive verizon took over in 96, i could be wrong but their crazy prices forced me to switch as soon as thier monopoly was broken.

So....15 years ago.

And you're hearing from a lot of people who have had more recent experiences with them. Is it at all possible that you're holding onto this grudge a mite too long?

Additionally, and not to get all Matlock on you, but you also said you tried to get the cable boxes and they wanted you to pay for them outright instead of renting them as most FIOS (and Optimum) custoemrs do. Which means that at some point after 1996, the approximate time you left Verizon, you tried to go back to them and found the results less than satisfying.

See....we're piecing together a story here based on your input.

1996(ish) - Verizon becomes your phone company. Shortly thereafter, for reasons not yet explained, you receive a large bill in excess of $400.00. This issue was apparently unable to be resolved in a satisfactory manner (again, not knowing what caused the bill, it's validity remains in question), causing you to leave the service.

Now, the next point is an assumption based on your posting about FIOS.

2007(ish) - FIOS comes to Massapequa. You opt to try it, but are told due to your spouses credit that you will need to buy the cable boxes outright instead of buying them.

2011 - You still rail against them and spread disinformation to try and discredit them.

Even assuming you are 100% right in both incidents and Verizon had no right or grounds to charge you 400.00 for a phone bill or make you buy your cable boxes....that's a long time to hold a grudge against a company. And, sadly, it seems less like you have a legitimate issue with them and are more angry that you can't join the party on the terms you want to.

See....if Verizon WERE wrong in 1996 with the phone bill, you wouldn't have tried to go to FIOS later on. If they ripped you off once, there's no way you'd open yourself up to a repeat performaance. So, that tells me that the 1996 incident was at least partly valid on their part. And then they turned you away a decade later, which made you angry.

I get that.

But you really need to let it go.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:45 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
But Fios doesn't offer low-budget News 12

Old 04-25-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
But Fios doesn't offer low-budget News 12

Be fair....they offer equally low budget FIOS1 news.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 AM

244 posts, read 540,374 times
I have one question. If I switch to FIOS, do all those crappy Optimum commercials go away that are repeated, seemingly every commercial break if not more, on what appears to be EVERY channel?

I just realized today, News12 promotes Optimum during commercial breaks. Duh, I'm ON Cablevision getting News12, why self-promote to the point of insanity? Can't get advertisers to PAY for News12 ads so you just keep pushing yourselves to fill the void between tape loops?

Notice how Cablevision dropped the "fiber network" claims? And yet, while comparing themselves to FIOS cable TV, they still compare their Internet to "Verizon high speed Internet" which is DSL and not FIOS?

Now if CV could just get past using what seems like Pentium 75Mhz CPUs in their cable-top boxes...

And pequadude, you sound like a CV robot. On other forums I frequent, you would be called a "troll" rather quickly. The mindless CV fandom just makes me want to switch even faster.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:30 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
I have one question. If I switch to FIOS, do all those crappy Optimum commercials go away that are repeated, seemingly every commercial break if not more, on what appears to be EVERY channel?

I just realized today, News12 promotes Optimum during commercial breaks. Duh, I'm ON Cablevision getting News12, why self-promote to the point of insanity? Can't get advertisers to PAY for News12 ads so you just keep pushing yourselves to fill the void between tape loops?

Notice how Cablevision dropped the "fiber network" claims? And yet, while comparing themselves to FIOS cable TV, they still compare their Internet to "Verizon high speed Internet" which is DSL and not FIOS?

Now if CV could just get past using what seems like Pentium 75Mhz CPUs in their cable-top boxes...

And pequadude, you sound like a CV robot. On other forums I frequent, you would be called a "troll" rather quickly. The mindless CV fandom just makes me want to switch even faster.
You are more aware than most people.

They specifically compare "Verizon high speed Internet" against "CV's mindblowing, brainexploding Internet" and don't give details (unless you, you know, do your own research). They compare 768kbps DSL against CV's crappy 15/2 (or whatever it is these days) Cable. Apples vs oranges if I ever saw it.

With regards to the commercials, I guess they figured viewers would rather sit through 30 seconds of self-promotion than sit through 30 seconds of changing a channel

Caveat emptor, I guess.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 PM

244 posts, read 540,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
You are more aware than most people.

They specifically compare "Verizon high speed Internet" against "CV's mindblowing, brainexploding Internet" and don't give details (unless you, you know, do your own research). They compare 768kbps DSL against CV's crappy 15/2 (or whatever it is these days) Cable. Apples vs oranges if I ever saw it.

With regards to the commercials, I guess they figured viewers would rather sit through 30 seconds of self-promotion than sit through 30 seconds of changing a channel
I'd rep you, but can't so soon

I wanna see 35Mbps/35Mbps available from Cablevision. Even their "business" (or residential) "Ultra" 100Mbps download is still only 15Mbps upload speed.

Of course, knowing the ins and outs of coax and large collision domains, there isn't much you can do about that if you share bandwidth with other users.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
So....15 years ago.

And you're hearing from a lot of people who have had more recent experiences with them. Is it at all possible that you're holding onto this grudge a mite too long?

Additionally, and not to get all Matlock on you, but you also said you tried to get the cable boxes and they wanted you to pay for them outright instead of renting them as most FIOS (and Optimum) custoemrs do. Which means that at some point after 1996, the approximate time you left Verizon, you tried to go back to them and found the results less than satisfying.

See....we're piecing together a story here based on your input.

1996(ish) - Verizon becomes your phone company. Shortly thereafter, for reasons not yet explained, you receive a large bill in excess of $400.00. This issue was apparently unable to be resolved in a satisfactory manner (again, not knowing what caused the bill, it's validity remains in question), causing you to leave the service.

Now, the next point is an assumption based on your posting about FIOS.

2007(ish) - FIOS comes to Massapequa. You opt to try it, but are told due to your spouses credit that you will need to buy the cable boxes outright instead of buying them.

2011 - You still rail against them and spread disinformation to try and discredit them.

Even assuming you are 100% right in both incidents and Verizon had no right or grounds to charge you 400.00 for a phone bill or make you buy your cable boxes....that's a long time to hold a grudge against a company. And, sadly, it seems less like you have a legitimate issue with them and are more angry that you can't join the party on the terms you want to.

See....if Verizon WERE wrong in 1996 with the phone bill, you wouldn't have tried to go to FIOS later on. If they ripped you off once, there's no way you'd open yourself up to a repeat performaance. So, that tells me that the 1996 incident was at least partly valid on their part. And then they turned you away a decade later, which made you angry.

I get that.

But you really need to let it go.
your time line is way off and nothing near the truth to my reasoning.

i cant wait for cablevision to get thier own cell phone service.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
they dropped it because eveyone knows that cable has had it since the 70s.

Quote:
they have, they have the latest samsung boxes now.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequadude View Post
your time line is way off and nothing near the truth to my reasoning.

i cant wait for cablevision to get thier own cell phone service.

Then clear it up. I think it was a pretty fair timeline based on the comments you yourself made. So, please enlighten us as to the appropriate chain of events instead of just spreading bad information. Since THAT doesn't work, tell us WHAt happened to you adn WHEN it happened so that you have a chance of actually convincing someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island