Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:15 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPumpkin View Post
There are a few things said in this thread that are perfectly true..I teach in a "good" NYC district/school and the parents have changed in the years I have been teaching...parents used to support the learning going on in school as best as possible by at least LOOKING at kids homework and having an idea about what was going on in class...they used to talk to their children if there were issues with behavior and classwork...now they are so busy blaming the teachers and being self-interested and they are looking for any excuse not to take responsibility..this is not ALL parents, but it's enough to make a difference...

The PP said that people in Ireland respect the teachers..that's a big part of it and in turn kids respect parents and teachers and when all parties work together, education can be improved...we also need big educational changes in general

I have to say...if we restructured the school year to have less summer, I would not be terribly opposed but there needs to be cooling in the schools or the kids absolutely not be able to learn in the stifling heat in the schools...
I agree with what you've written. Educational process is a triumvirate of teacher, student and parent(s) working together. When I was in school and a student was doing poorly, the parents spoke with the teacher to see what the student was doing incorrectly. Lately, the parents blame the teacher for the student's shortcomings. Society as a whole needs to learn who to accept responsibility as opposed to shifting blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,236 times
A few years back I remember something about cameras in the classrooms, the unions fought against the measure. Wonder why they would be so set against the proposal? I say we have a right to see what is going with our children while they are in school. Perhaps it's time to install them in the classrooms once and for all and allow taxpayers to see what we are paying for.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:19 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
A few years back I remember something about cameras in the classrooms, the unions fought against the measure. Wonder why they would be so set against the proposal? I say we have a right to see what is going with our children while they are in school. Perhaps it's time to install them in the classrooms once and for all and allow taxpayers to see what we are paying for.
That would be GREAT! What unions/school districts had the issue raised and fought against it?

It could also allow for some proof when concerns are raised about a child's behavior and the parents start screaming, "NOT MY CHILD! He would never do that!"

Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That would be GREAT! What unions/school districts had the issue raised and fought against it?

It could also allow for some proof when concerns are raised about a child's behavior and the parents start screaming, "NOT MY CHILD! He would never do that!"
Exactly!!! It would protect both the teachers and students. Then the truth will be out in the open.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:51 AM

248 posts, read 872,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
I'm not the one who wrote high horse pumpkin...
Truce, model parent...I wouldn't care if they set up cameras..I have nothing to hide and parents would see the children in action as well...but then...let's CCTV everything while we are at it...I mean, I pay taxes, too, and want to see what else they are paying for other than education...but then...more taxes necessary to pay for these cameras...sheesh, it never ends!!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 PM

Every parent I have ever worked with gets respect from me...if they talk down to or are rude to me, I move into a sterile manner of talking rather than my warm self...I just find that you were condescending first and I am sick of being attacked for my profession, in general, not just by you...i would love reform in education, honestly, but feel like that means compromise and instead, we are all only met with extreme opinions on both sides..so..honestly...truce and we can agree to disagree

Old 03-31-2011, 01:03 PM

Listen...like everyone else in the world...some get along, some don't..I've encountered amazing, communicative, supportive parents and I've encountered stand offish, nasty and uninvolved parents...my opinions reflect that experience..I've had encounters with many parents...once again, i have to defend my job and say I give well over 100% in my career and do get offended when it is implied that I do not and when, in some way, it is not reciprocated by the rest of my learning community, which includes parents, students and other service providers, even, it is personal...you keep attacking me based on snippets....how do you treat your children's teachers?

Old 03-31-2011, 03:45 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPumpkin View Post
Private schools don't keep children who have issues and farm them back into te public schools...that works wonderfully, too...trust me when I say those of us in schools are doing time outs, etc. to work with children's behavior, but like I said, it's a team effort and caretakers (parents, teachers, etc.) need to buy in..I've had children with learning and behavior issues who have thrived simply because parents and I have had open lines of communication and they've let me know what works and vice versa...both of those parents worked as well, but made the time...
So far, none of the kids have been expelled and farmed back to the public schools. Kids respect authority as long as this is asserted in a none-abusive way. Their school/class has established a set of rules and a student can get disciplined in different ways if they break the rules, even if they don't disrupt the class (ex. talking when they should keep quiet). Surely each kid has his or her own issues at home but when in school, they must follow the rules.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
So far, none of the kids have been expelled and farmed back to the public schools. Kids respect authority as long as this is asserted in a none-abusive way. Their school/class has established a set of rules and a student can get disciplined in different ways if they break the rules, even if they don't disrupt the class (ex. talking when they should keep quiet). Surely each kid has his or her own issues at home but when in school, they must follow the rules.
gee, I wish public school teachers had that little tidbit....oy...

Old 03-31-2011, 09:06 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Yup, it would save a lot of tax dollars also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island