Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:08 PM

157 posts, read 456,506 times

Advertisements

The human remains of three additional people were discovered Monday morning near Gilgo Beach on Long Island, New York, where the corpses of four women were discovered last year, according to the Suffolk County Police Commissioner.
Authorities continued searching the area after discovering the remains of a fifth body last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 04:35 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,790,649 times
The authorities are beginning to believe that it might be a serial killer! How very astute! I wonder what the combined salaries of all of those
law enforcement bureacrats who sat in their think-tanks and figured that out for us, is costing taxpayers? How about a simple telephone call to
Dale Hinman, asking her to take a break from TRU tv, hop on a plane and come and solve this mystery for us? Just wait until old Nancy Grace gets
a whiff of this "bombshell", it'll give her as much airtime as she ever got from Kasey Anthony.

Having just heard about it on the news (only moments ago), I knew that as a news article, it'd reach the L.I. forum pretty fast. Now, I hope
that as a topic, it will awaken much speculative and thought provoking commentary, at least as much as the death of officer Geoffrey Breitkopf did,
only weeks ago. I haven't played that great parlor game "Clue", for many years, but perhaps, with the help of some of these sharp Long Island minds,
we might come up with a few of the answers that our law enforcement agencies can't seem to find. It'd be almost impossible to think that there aren't
a few amateur detectives among us.

What are your thoughts?

Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,065,238 times
My first thought was when Dormer said that we have a possible serial killer was "gee Dick ... ya think?". Where do they find these people? 8 dead bodies on the same stretch of a remote barrier island parkway and they only think it's a serial killer. How many $100,000 a year cops did it take to figure that part out?

Now on to the serious part:

1) This is a relatively remote area. Those bodies found today could have been there for years and years. Go to any remote area that is in proximity to a major city and you will find bodies.
2) What about the possibility of multiple killers, mob hits, or gangland kills?

Look at all those bodies they have been finding off the LIE in Manorville every few years ... no heads, no hands, all in garbage bags and the SCPD insists that as well is not a serial killer. All the victims that were IDed were ... you guessed it ... prostitutes.

We have at least two different serial killers on Long Island folks.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:32 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,414,117 times
The Long Island Press had a pretty good article regarding the Manorville bodies. Looks like the Gilgo girls are all wrapped in burlap. Don't think the mob would take the time to wrap them up like that. Psycho killer for certain. Betta run run run run run run run awaaaaaayyyyyy.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,189,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
The authorities are beginning to believe that it might be a serial killer! How very astute! I wonder what the combined salaries of all of those
law enforcement bureacrats who sat in their think-tanks and figured that out for us, is costing taxpayers? How about a simple telephone call to
Dale Hinman, asking her to take a break from TRU tv, hop on a plane and come and solve this mystery for us? Just wait until old Nancy Grace gets
a whiff of this "bombshell", it'll give her as much airtime as she ever got from Kasey Anthony.

Having just heard about it on the news (only moments ago), I knew that as a news article, it'd reach the L.I. forum pretty fast. Now, I hope
that as a topic, it will awaken much speculative and thought provoking commentary, at least as much as the death of officer Geoffrey Breitkopf did,
only weeks ago. I haven't played that great parlor game "Clue", for many years, but perhaps, with the help of some of these sharp Long Island minds,
we might come up with a few of the answers that our law enforcement agencies can't seem to find. It'd be almost impossible to think that there aren't
a few amateur detectives among us.

What are your thoughts?
I am so glad the bodies have been found in Suffolk County and not Nassau County. Reasons being: at least the crime lab in Suffolk is not a complete disaster and a joke like Nassau's so (a) any forensic evidence they did find on or around all these bodies will not be discredited (which only aids the criminal when caught) and (b) hopefully they are capable of doing a way better job than the clowns in Nassau so they will find forensic evidence that will stick to the criminal when caught.

PS: I agree with you about Dale Hinman. She is one of the top profilers out there. She works for FDLE (Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement), but I have noticed on her show she sometimes is loaned out to other states.

PPS: He will get caught (or both "hes" if it's two different guys) ... it's just a matter of time ... with the exception of Jack the Ripper, they always do. Look at the Green River Killer ... it took over 20 years, but Gary Ridgeway is behind bars for life now.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,570,459 times
LIEddie -- LE most likely can only give a certain amount of information. They know what it is or isn't, but don't want to reveal exactly what -- perhaps not to jeopardize the investigation?

We can all sit in our homes speculating and playing armchair quarterback, but without the actual details, we're spinning our wheels.

My prayers go out to the families of the victims who have been or who will be found. No matter what sad turn their lives might have taken, they were someone's daughter, mother, sister. The pain the families must feel is unimaginable.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
LIEddie -- LE most likely can only give a certain amount of information. They know what it is or isn't, but don't want to reveal exactly what -- perhaps not to jeopardize the investigation?

We can all sit in our homes speculating and playing armchair quarterback, but without the actual details, we're spinning our wheels.

My prayers go out to the families of the victims who have been or who will be found. No matter what sad turn their lives might have taken, they were someone's daughter, mother, sister. The pain the families must feel is unimaginable.
IIRC Joseph Brewer was cleared, they took DNA, questioned him, searched his house, searched his truck, ran all sorts of tests on his truck, etc and found nothing.

The only link involving him is with the still missing Shannan Gilbert, there is no connection between him and the 5 bodies discovered before today. Don't be like the SCPD and send an innocent man to prison just because it looks good to close the case so quickly. That's what they did with Marty Tankleff ... and look what it got them.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,790,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am so glad the bodies have been found in Suffolk County and not Nassau County. Reasons being: at least the crime lab in Suffolk is not a complete disaster and a joke like Nassau's so (a) any forensic evidence they did find on or around all these bodies will not be discredited (which only aids the criminal when caught) and (b) hopefully they are capable of doing a way better job than the clowns in Nassau so they will find forensic evidence that will stick to the criminal when caught.

PS: I agree with you about Dale Hinman. She is one of the top profilers out there. She works for FDLE (Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement), but I have noticed on her show she sometimes is loaned out to other states.

PPS: He will get caught (or both "hes" if it's two different guys) ... it's just a matter of time ... with the exception of Jack the Ripper, they always do. Look at the Green River Killer ... it took over 20 years, but Gary Ridgeway is behind bars for life now.
One thing that definitely strikes me as odd, is that although Commissioner Richard Dormer states, in a fairly confident manner,
that these killings were done elsewhere and the bodies have been dumped there. Could it have been purely coincidental that Shannon Gilbert,
the missing link, would've been last seen alive there at Oak Beach? If the killer was luring victims through craigslist, and he had solicited her to
come to Oak Beach for her appointment with death, yet it was her pimp who drove her out there, how could there be only just a coincidental
connection between her going missing, somewhere within less than a mile from the seaside graveyard? Could these bodies have been disposed
of by boat, dragged up from the seashore into the underbrush along the road? I would think that the chances of being caught would be so much
less if the killer arrived by sea, not risking exposure at the roadside in some ungodly hour of the night, when a State Trooper could be passing by.

Insofar as the bodies still having any usable traces of forensic evidence like DNA from the killer, I don't believe that this mystery will be
solved that way, the elements are especially harsh in a seaside location such as Oak Beach and passing time, has only diminished whatever clues
might've once been available. Unless investigators search deeper for the common tread which associates these killings or perhaps someone close to
the killer puts the clues together and provides the necessary information which will lead to his apprehension and capture, we just might never see
these murders solved.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,570,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
IIRC Joseph Brewer was cleared, they took DNA, questioned him, searched his house, searched his truck, ran all sorts of tests on his truck, etc and found nothing.

The only link involving him is with the still missing Shannan Gilbert, there is no connection between him and the 5 bodies discovered before today. Don't be like the SCPD and send an innocent man to prison just because it looks good to close the case so quickly. That's what they did with Marty Tankleff ... and look what it got them.

Yes, they did clear Brewer and no where did I suggest he's guilty.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes, they did clear Brewer and no where did I suggest he's guilty.
My apologies, I wasent singling you out directly but rather stating a fact in hopes of keeping people from going crazy clamoring for his arrest like on several other local forums.

EDIT: check your message box, it appears we are both on the same page with this issue of sending innocent people to prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island