Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 03:06 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Walter,
The planning department and census might call it one thing but it matters what the residents call it. No one calls it Terryville that lives there even though by definition it might be.
I know people who call it Terryville down by Buttercup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 09:27 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comsewoguefam View Post
And nobody ever refers to PJS as Terryville.
PJS and Terryville are two separate hamlets, and PJS should not be referred to as Terryville and vice versa.

Quote:
People say they live in PJS or Comsewogue......never Terryville. The only thing that uses Terryville is our youth soccer oganization.
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Brookhaven-Comsewogue Union Free School District includes all or part of the Village of Port Jefferson, the Hamlet of Mount Sinai, the Hamlet of Port Jefferson Station, the Hamlet of Terryville, the Hamlet of Coram, the Hamlet of Selden, the Hamlet of Centereach and the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket.

A map of the Brookhaven-Comsewogue Union Free School District:

Old 04-30-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The planning department and census might call it one thing but it matters what the residents call it.
Too many folks still believe that they live in the community whose name is in their mailing address, when that is simply not true: more than half the places in either Nassau or Suffolk Counties are not in the community whose name is in that place's mailing address.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:56 PM

33 posts, read 69,238 times
We live in the Birchwood neighborhood by Buttercup. Everyone here says they live in PJS, even the old timers. Not sure who uses Terryville, the fire department and the youth soccer leauge - that's is about it.
11776 is our zip code - Port Jefferson Station, Comsewogue School District.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:08 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
We live in the Birchwood neighborhood by Buttercup. Everyone here says they live in PJS, even the old timers. Not sure who uses Terryville, the fire department and the youth soccer leauge - that's is about it.
Then you're not talking to the right old timers...or perhaps theyre all gone by now.
(The Historic District is Terryville)

Anyway, I do agree, it is the exception and not the norm.
I call it PJS too.

Crooks

Old 04-30-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:52 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Then you're not talking to the right old timers...or perhaps theyre all gone by now.
(The Historic District is Terryville)

Anyway, I do agree, it is the exception and not the norm.
I call it PJS too.

Crooks
My best friend's parents still live on Rodney and they bought the house when the neighborhood was just built. Them and everyone else call it pjs and so does everyone else in the 11776 zip code. There are no old timers in coram calling their area emerald hills!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:28 AM

414 posts, read 808,699 times
I have lived in PJS for 26 years now. I graduated the same time as Lance (I know him and he knows me, but not as far as this forum goes). The schools were decent when we attended, then got worse, but they are much better once again. I have one in school now and a 2nd one starting soon. I now live right in the area being talked about as being a dump. I have lived near the train station for a little over 13 years now. It truly has gone downhill the last few years, and I blame it more on the homeless than any of the immigrants. I see both of those groups walk past my house every day. The illegals always wave and nod, or say hello. The homeless not so much. There are a few houses in the area where the homeless have been/still are living in that I am trying to get something done about with the town. There are also a few residents that don't give a crap how their property looks anymore, even though they used to. The house/vacuum cleaner store on the corner of Hallock and Union is now a giant garbage dump. Absolute pigs that lived there. Looks like it may be empty now, surely the next homeless hangout. I think the first step is getting rid of that homeless shelter next to the train station. Even the cops that came to toss out the homesless in one of the houses recently said thats where we should start. Problem is, there aren't a lot of people living in that immediate are that are homeowners, there are tons of rentals in that area, and those people don't give a crap. We need to start doing something. I am not political in nature at all, so I don't even know where to start. Things can change, we just need to start fighting.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:51 AM

414 posts, read 808,699 times
Not sure I would call Father Frank garbage, but I totally agree with the other comments. Maybe some of the folks that run HHM should move into a house on my block and see how THEY like it! Bring your little kids while you are at it!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:44 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Father Frank seems shady to me. Anyone who professes to be a priest and tries to emulate the appearance of Jesus Christ should be examined for ulterior motives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island