Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:19 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The photos are interesting, but I believe the location at the bottom has the benefit of a rolling topography, which allows for the elevated station. Imagine what would have to be built at LIRR stations to make it difficult for fare jumpers in a turnstile system?
3rd Rail , is the reason the stations are elevated.....its the same for Metro North , and overseas on the London Overground , Paris RER , and Berlin DB system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 10:22 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Your friends left for Utah and like it more? Utah is not a good place to live unless you are a Mormon. That's not picking on Mormons because I have good Mormon friends who live there and I attended General Conference last year. That said, there are no opportunities in that state except service and extraction industries. It too is a one party state, but quite the opposite. I'll concede North Carolina, but it's quite another thing to pick one of the nation's worst states and compare to NY.
So how long did you live in Utah? Never mind. I suspect the answer to that is going to be "never." As to Utah not being a good place to live unless you are a Mormon, that's absolutely not true. Stop by the Utah forum sometime if you want to hear one non-LDS transplant to Utah after another say how glad they are to have decided to move there.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:27 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Two of my friends have now relocated to UT. It looks better and better.
Stop by the Utah and Salt Lake City forums and spend some time asking native and transplated Utahns about how they like it. It will look even better after you do.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:07 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
How many times a week you ride the train? Describe the scenery out the window so we know your telling the truth....and look on google does not tell the full story....
I love the beautiful, tropical paradise that is row-houses

Old 04-09-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Your friends left for Utah and like it more? Utah is not a good place to live unless you are a Mormon. That's not picking on Mormons because I have good Mormon friends who live there and I attended General Conference last year. That said, there are no opportunities in that state except service and extraction industries. It too is a one party state, but quite the opposite. I'll concede North Carolina, but it's quite another thing to pick one of the nation's worst states and compare to NY.
Yeah I'm with you. When he said Utah I almost laughed so hard this drink came out my nose. And by this drink, I mean, cahrdonnay- never too early But yeah...hmmm Utah...no thanks.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
a train that leaves Penn at 2:30 am heading somewhere far out east is still running during the gap in departures from Penn. that's my only point.
Not every branch runs 24/7 but the trains as a whole do. There is always a train going somewhere @ some time. I mean yeah there are breaks especially late @ night, but there are trains going out somewhere @ 1, 2, 3, 4am etc. For example there's a Long Beach train I believe that goes out @ 2:53...roughly...and a Hicksville train that goes out @ 4:15. There is a train leaving @ 3am that I am sure is going somewhere. Does one branch operate 24/7...no but the trains as a whole really do.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:14 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
People need to stop defending the public unions and get real. I love trains, and it's high priced labor that's killing them.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
People need to stop defending the public unions and get real. I love trains, and it's high priced labor that's killing them.
Its not the Unions its Management and the lack of upgrades thats hurting the LIRR.... Unions always seem to get picked on , but in this case its the higher ups that are at fault....

Old 04-09-2011, 09:33 AM

228 posts, read 810,284 times
Serving alchool is a source of revenue for the LIRR... If you ban it you'll just have more drunk and buzzed people driving into the city and home at night...

As for the 600 million it would cost to retrofit the stations to include exit turnstiles... This is a gross over estimation... All you need to do is install chain link fence around the platform... Sure it is not the prettiest thing... But it would serve the basic function and help reduce costs...

Old 04-09-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
Serving alchool is a source of revenue for the LIRR... If you ban it you'll just have more drunk and buzzed people driving into the city and home at night...

As for the 600 million it would cost to retrofit the stations to include exit turnstiles... This is a gross over estimation... All you need to do is install chain link fence around the platform... Sure it is not the prettiest thing... But it would serve the basic function and help reduce costs...
You can't do that , shows how much you know about running a RR , or anything about an RR. Local towns and the county would oppose doing this or your way. 600 million is low , the stations and system weren't designed to have turnstiles....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island