U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-12-2011, 01:23 PM

3,303 posts, read 3,203,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
You are beynd naiive. Spend a day in the clasroom with repsonsibility for a couple hundred of Your children. Trust me, your tune will change VERY quickly as regards what is possible, and what has become a dream.

Here's a little excercise for you. Go down to the skate park, or the mall and hang out for a couple of hours where the kids congregate. Lsiten to the conversation, and the use of 'words.' Now imagine that in written form. And also imagine that the parents are only one generation removed as well.

I think you get my point.
Heres a better excercise, give them a failing mark if their written paper reflects their speaking/texting style....thats the power of being a teacher..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:43 PM

2,336 posts, read 3,330,440 times
Quote:
You are beynd naiive. Spend a day in the clasroom with repsonsibility for a couple hundred of Your children. Trust me, your tune will change VERY quickly as regards what is possible, and what has become a dream.

Here's a little excercise for you. Go down to the skate park, or the mall and hang out for a couple of hours where the kids congregate. Lsiten to the conversation, and the use of 'words.' Now imagine that in written form. And also imagine that the parents are only one generation removed as well.

Dude...... are you for real ?????

Is this just a NY thing ..... ??
Oh wait, maybe the kids outside NY are much well behaved or maybe the parks outside NY are any different.... maybe congregations are illegal outside NY... jeez.

We all know how noble a teachers profession is, are you just trying to justify their job responsibilities now ? Again, I don't have an issue with you making 100K a year, maybe you are that good.... but how can every teacher be that good ?
Just get your head out of the mud for kids sake !!

Your assignment.... read this...
The Ten States That Pay Teachers The Most (And Why It Doesn’t Matter) - 24/7 Wall St.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:16 PM

15,544 posts, read 15,276,102 times
Quote:

Yeah I am getting a point alright as to part of the reason for your disdain for your students.

Guess what? I know IMMIGRANTS who speak, read and write english very well, thank you, and so do their kids.

It's amazing how you continue on and on and on when you LIED OUTRIGHT about being a teacher. No shame whatsoever. What do I expect?

Old 05-12-2011, 02:18 PM

15,544 posts, read 15,276,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post

Oh wait, maybe the kids outside NY are much well behaved or maybe the parks outside NY are any different.... maybe congregations are illegal outside NY... jeez.

We all know how noble a teachers profession is, are you just trying to justify their job responsibilities now ? Again, I don't have an issue with you making 100K a year, maybe you are that good.... but how can every teacher be that good ?

The Ten States That Pay Teachers The Most (And Why It Doesn’t Matter) - 24/7 Wall St.
LOL. Good at what? Certainly not spelling. Or assigning ambitious projects. Or writing honest posts. Maybe this is Paul Egan (or insert name of another teachers' union rep) writing to us on here.

PS: Great find on that article!

Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,373,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Heres a better excercise, give them a failing mark if their written paper reflects their speaking/texting style....thats the power of being a teacher..
Can't do that any longer.

Parents ***** because it makes the schools look bad, and it's 'bad for real estate prices.'

And administrators ***** because it makes the schools look bad because their scores are low.

And just ask any parent. The kids today are all 'special'. That are also very smart. Borderline genius. Never had a day with negative feedback in the dainty little lives. How can you dare give my little Johnnie a failing grade? (many time the parents write the papers as well, so they take it REALLY personally.)

Old 05-12-2011, 03:18 PM

113 posts, read 57,404 times
Default Good article

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post

Nice job zulu ! Give Ted Bear a bear hug. Ted bear can you please provide some articles to follow up your claims ! Or its just you who thinks all that goodie goodie about teachers and why we have to pay so much.

Also check this
http://litaxes.blogspot.com/2011/05/...ol-versus.html

Her are a few questions ?

1) Are we paying too much salary and benefits to school employees ?

2) Today with so many people unemployed can we get people to do the same work for less ?

3) If we don't give those benefits and cut salary by 20% will all the current employees leave their job?

4) If we save money of salary and then provide more programs to kids with that money will that help kids ?

5) Do you think average long island kids are much brighter after 12 years of schooling than rest of US who pays less in taxes ?

6) Higher taxes will put strain on residents who will not use the same money to buy stuff and macy's or best buy. Now that will put less money in state coffers. How is that going to affect aid next year.

We can't give money unless we are getting more, simple. People please vote NO in the coming budget as voting YES is not going to give anything better for kids. At voting NO for a few years down the line will make schools rethink their strategy.

So many i can't go any more. Have to work now to pay my taxes !

http://litaxes.blogspot.com/

Old 05-12-2011, 05:03 PM

924 posts, read 1,048,393 times
> Average Salary 2010/2011: $72,708
> # of Enrolled Students Per Teacher 2010/2011: 11.8 (4th)
> Average National Assessment of Educational Progress Math Score 2009: 282.57 (31st)
> Average National Assessment of Educational Progress Reading Score 2009: 264.28 (31st)
> Average Daily Attendance as a % of Fall Enrollment 2010/2011: 116.8% (1st)
> High School Graduation Rate as % of Fall Enrollment 2010/2011: 6.86% (18th)
[LEFT]
Read more: The Ten States That Pay Teachers The Most (And Why It Doesn’t Matter) - 24/7 Wall St. The Ten States That Pay Teachers The Most (And Why It Doesn’t Matter) - 24/7 Wall St.

Yay.....1st in spending and 31st in Math and reading scores. We're really keeping those property values high aren't we?

I have a better idea. If you cut the property taxes by 50% you would raise house prices on Long Island instantly. Somehow I think the quality of our students wouldn't drop too much.
[/LEFT]

Old 05-12-2011, 05:07 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,271,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formyblog View Post

Here are a few questions ?

1) Are we paying too much salary and benefits to school employees ? Yes you are.

2) Today with so many people unemployed can we get people to do the same work for less ? Sure they could but what would it do for morale.

3) If we don't give those benefits and cut salary by 20% will all the current employees leave their job? I doubt it.

4) If we save money of salary and then provide more programs to kids with that money will that help kids ? Sure would.

5) Do you think average long island kids are much brighter after 12 years of schooling than rest of US who pays less in taxes ? No, but most don't want to hear this.

6) Higher taxes will put strain on residents who will not use the same money to buy stuff and macy's or best buy. Now that will put less money in state coffers. How is that going to affect aid next year. Raise your taxes ?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 PM

113 posts, read 57,404 times
Default More stress

A recent poll finds that 1 in 3 New Yorkers under age 30 plans to move to another state at some point.
And 1 in 4 adults plans an exodus from the Empire State within five years.
The NY1-YNN-Marist College poll released Thursday night puts numbers to the decades-long exodus from New York, which once led the nation in manufacturing and other high-paying jobs.
The poll finds that most of those who plan to move will do so because of economic reasons including jobs, the cost of living, and taxes.
Pollster Lee Miringoff said the trend, if unchecked, will drain the state of its next generation.
The poll questioned 941 adults from April 25 to April 29. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 points.
[LEFT]
Looks like more burden on people staying behind. Pyramid going inverted, looks like its going to topple.

http://litaxes.blogspot.com/

[/LEFT]

Old 05-13-2011, 05:46 AM

7,940 posts, read 2,400,630 times
Since the school enrollment on Long Island is decreasing the best solution would be to reduce or freeze salaries so they could hire more teachers, particularly new grads that are unemployed. Unfortunately they are doing just the opposite, increasing salaries and benefits, laying off more teachers and increasing class size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island