Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:28 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
The Nazis had pretty sharp looking uniforms too.
so in a country of aprox 6,000,000 illegal aliens, you are using a tax funded example that siezed 218 people to support your position on this?
It looks to me that you believe the end justifies the means and ANY result, is a result worth paying for.
No; I am using a tax-funded example to support the border patrol's efforts to keep anything illegal out of the country and to enforce the laws of this nation. The 218 people taken into custody in VT were only a small part of the border patrol's job. The poster to whom I replied was making a somewhat histrionic statement suggesting that border patrol were 'totalitarian thugs'. If the NYSP should set up a DWI checkpoint, by that poster's definition, they are 'totalitarian thugs', too?

You failed to note that the Border Patrol's myriad duties extend beyond apprehending illegal immigrants. Focus, instead, upon the big picture as opposed to focusing on one small portion. Too many people hear border patrol and think only of illegal immigration and Hispanics.

There's freight inspection, agricultural inspection, security against terrorism and other threats, as well as human trafficking -- which goes beyond smuggling illegals and can consist of slavery/involuntary servitude as well as sexual servitude.

We've all read stories of raids on massage parlors where the women were forced into sexual servitude.
FOX 40 WICZ TV - Three Asian Massage Parlors Raided [1/28/2011] - News, Sports, Weather, Contests and More - Binghamton, NY

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/28/ny...gewanted=print

Quote:
Ms. Burke said Long Island is a natural location for human trafficking because of its proximity to New York City, where a number of cases have been documented, and to the airports and seaports where immigrants arrive.
If the people wish not to be stopped by a checkpoint, they should invoke whatever law or case it is that best represents their position. I respect those who feel that way, whether or not it complements my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Never stand for random searches and checkpoints, never, for any reason. Once begun, they will not end. They will grow to encompass all people and all crimes. Read your history people, it happens every time, EVERY TIME.

From the first link in my earlier post:

Quote:
When a Canadian citizen pulled into the inspection area at a checkpoint near Morristown, N.Y., agents became suspicious due to the woman’s behavior. After obtaining consent to search the vehicle, a Border Patrol K-9 indicated the presence of contraband in the spare tire located in the back of the van. Agents removed the tire from the rim and found 12 pounds of the narcotic “ecstasy” hidden within. The driver subsequently was arrested.
The search was done with the consent of the driver. She could have refused, in which case the BPA would have had to obtained a warrant to search her vehicle.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The wealthiest 1% are already paying more than their fair share.
Next thing you know there will be tiered pricing in stores.
Earn over $500K and eggs are $15 each.
Earn between $250K-$499K and eggs are $10 each.
Earn $100K-$249K and eggs are $5 each.
Earn $75K-$99K and eggs are $1 each
Earn $50K-$74K and eggs are 50 cents each.
$40K-$49K eggs are 25 cents each.
$25K-$39K eggs are 10 cents each.
$24,999 and under -- eggs are free.

The folks in the $100K-$499K range will fall into the dreaded AMT -- additional moulting tax -- and will receive 1 less egg for every dozen the purchase.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:19 PM

338 posts, read 777,531 times
illegals arent crossing a boarder to enter long island. the proper authorites patrol our boarders with other countries. no other country boarders long island.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:25 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Tell that to the German U-boats that stalked our border off shore in WWII. Tell that to the Chinese illegal alien smugglers that deposited illegals off the Queens shore in the early 90's.

Long Island as a border area is INFESTED, just INFESTED with illegal aliens and drugs. Some of those random checkpoints that occur in upstate New York and Vermont would do us very good here on Long Island, if only our local official politician enablers werent so cozy with the pro-illegal immigration lobby.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 PM

338 posts, read 777,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Tell that to the German U-boats that stalked our border off shore in WWII. Tell that to the Chinese illegal alien smugglers that deposited illegals off the Queens shore in the early 90's.

Long Island as a border area is INFESTED, just INFESTED with illegal aliens and drugs. Some of those random checkpoints that occur in upstate New York and Vermont would do us very good here on Long Island, if only our local official politician enablers werent so cozy with the pro-illegal immigration lobby.

how many times has that happened in comparison to the illegal boarder crossings in the past 50 years? come on now, your comparing apples to oranges.

long island is not a boarder location. we are surrounded by the US territories!

come on walter, chime in here and back me up with a map.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:13 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
Many parts of Upstate aren't sanctuary cities like these

• New York
  • Albany, NY (Added 7-22-09 Source: Council adopts don't ask policy, Times Union report by Jordan Carleo-Evangelist)
  • Bay Shore, NY
  • Brentwood, NY
  • Central Islip, NY
  • Farmingville, NY
  • New York City, NY (all the boro's)
  • Riverhead, NY
  • Shirly/Mastic, NY
  • Spring Valley Village, NY (Added 7-25-07)
  • Uniondale, NY
  • Westbury, NY

Old 04-09-2011, 05:21 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
"Your kind"? You're a classy one.

Being against abortion does not automatically mean someone is religious, or against abortion for religious reasons. Your statement about being for abortion so we don't have to pay extra for poverty babies is disgusting and you should be ashamed for making it - but I'm not surprised someone with your views would make a statement like that.
Statistics don't lie. When abortion was legalized, approx. 10-12 yrs later, crime took a HUGE drop.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:53 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Please do not hijack this thread. I have cleaned it up but the topic is about ICE and not about Planned Parenthood being funded.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:53 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Ok after reading this thread I felt I had to chime in because I totally understand the public's frustration with this.

First off Im going to give a quick primer on the different agencies that deal with illegal aliens and what they do (because it can be very confusing even for us)

Customs and Border Protection (CBP): these are the guys in blue uniforms that you see at JFK (and any international airport) stamping passports and checking luggage (among many other duties). They also man the ports of entry (POE's) on the northern and southern border. They have both immigration and customs functions.

US Border Patrol (USBP): patrols the unmanned areas of the border both northern and southern. They also have stations in FL. There are a few stations in Western NY (like Buffalo) but none on LI.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE): is divided into 2 sections. 1 is ERO (Enforcement and Removal Operations) which strictly deals with apprehension and removal of illegal aliens and re-entries. The other side is HSI (Homeland Security Investigations) which is comprised of Special Agents that do a wide range of investigations from alien smuggling to narcotics, to child exploitation.

ICE -HSI has an office on Long Island and a large office in the city, ERO is only based in the city but Long Island is part of its areas of responsibility.

Confused yet? Lol.

Believe it or not, ICE runs operations on Long Island and makes arrests here every day. They are as routine as a Suffolk Cop arresting someone for DWI so they dont make the paper. The 2007 gang Op was a huge operation involving many other offices. Plus the controversy that followed led to Newsday having a field day with it. Thats why everyone remembers it.

What most people notice daily (and get angry about) are the migrant workers on the street corners. For the most part we arent allowed to touch them. Why? Its a complex political mess that has no easy answer. The rule of thumb right now is only aliens with criminal records that are a danger to society are to be focused on (gang members, violent criminals etc.). Trust me most Agents would love to actually be allowed to do our jobs, but this is the federal government we are talking about. And even if we did arrest many of the migrants, they would probably be bonded out by the immigration judge in a day (and in some cases given a form of relief like a work card) and would be right back out on the street.

Everyone knows the system is broken, and I totally understand how it seems nothing is being done at all. I completely share in your frustration. Hopefully this at least sheds some light on the subject.

Check out this interview with Napolitano she pretty much outlines the current immigration policy right there:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=100690879

We have an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in this country. What do you do about them?
Ultimately, that's for the Congress to decide, and at some point in time, I think the president and the Congress will work out when it is appropriate to take that topic up again. But right now we're focusing on human traffickers — those who are really exploiting this illegal market to great financial gain. We're going after those in our country illegally who have also committed other crimes. We're going after those who are in our jails and prisons who are also in our country illegally to make sure that once they complete their sentence, they're immediately subject to deportation.

Last edited by peconic117; 04-09-2011 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island