Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:26 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Planned Parenthood has received federal funding since 1970, when President Richard Nixon signed into law the Family Planning Services and Population Research Act, amending the Public Health Service Act. Title X of that law provides funding for family planning services, including contraception and family planning information. The law enjoyed bipartisan support from liberals who saw contraception access as increasing families' control over their lives, and conservatives who saw it as a way to keep people off welfare.

PS, you can be against abortion and not seek to restrict the rights of others to have control over their own reproductive systems.

Not to mention, about 2-3% of services provided by Planned Parenthood are abortion services.

It wasn't funding for abortions that would have been stripped (because that funding is already prohibited as per title X funding rules). It would have been funding for HIV & STD testing that would have been stripped, funding for pap smears, funding for breast & ovarian cancer screenings that would have been stripped, among other health issues. THAT is what the Title X funding that Planned Parenthood gets goes for, not abortions.

Anyway a budget agreement was made, and the rider to strip Title X funding to groups such as Planned Parenthood was removed from the budget bill.. A separate up or down vote will be held next week on the issue, but has no chance of passing the Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 09:14 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Planned Parenthood has received federal funding since 1970, when President Richard Nixon signed into law the Family Planning Services and Population Research Act, amending the Public Health Service Act. Title X of that law provides funding for family planning services, including contraception and family planning information. The law enjoyed bipartisan support from liberals who saw contraception access as increasing families' control over their lives, and conservatives who saw it as a way to keep people off welfare.

PS, you can be against abortion and not seek to restrict the rights of others to have control over their own reproductive systems.

[URL="http://www.businessinsider.com/why-is-the-government-open-because-republicans-finally-caved-on-planned-parenthood-and-npr-2011-4"]Why Is The Government Open? Because Republicans Finally Caved On Planned Parenthood and NPR[/URL]

And that takes care of that.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:36 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Dude.

Im joking with you but Im still unclear why youre lurking on the LI boards? Property in NY means what...upstate?
Why the curiosity?

Hey but good news those Moon bat kids were protected under that coveted Teabag favorite 2nd Amendment.
Well, I need to adjust my sarcasm meter then.

I own a house in Nissequogue. Still pay the $20K property tax bill on it. Still hire local companies to maintain it. I love the house and the are, hate what LI has become and the PO it is of NY - especially the draconian gun law, but that should change in the years to come with the slew of lawsuits being filed.

Back on topic - seems like some form of compromise has been made.m For better or for worse.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:04 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Well, I need to adjust my sarcasm meter then.

I own a house in Nissequogue. Still pay the $20K property tax bill on it. Still hire local companies to maintain it. I love the house and the are, hate what LI has become and the PO it is of NY - especially the draconian gun law, but that should change in the years to come with the slew of lawsuits being filed.

Back on topic - seems like some form of compromise has been made.m For better or for worse.
OMFG
Cant say I blame you for bailing.

As for OP I agree we finally saw how completely inept we all are.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:57 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I'm not convinced the Republicans were actually serious about PP and their other rider issues; I think they used it as a tool to draw the Dems further into cutsville. It worked.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:26 PM

324 posts, read 335,233 times
Quote:
I'm not convinced the Republicans were actually serious about PP and their other rider issues; I think they used it as a tool to draw the Dems further into cutsville. It worked.
The more astute individuals figured that out.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
And proved that they kowtow to bible-thumping freaks in the process. Nice work.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:38 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Considering both sides were actually fairly close on the $$$ amount of the cuts, it does seem like the rider issues and planned parenthood cuts is what was holding this up.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:08 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
And proved that they kowtow to bible-thumping freaks in the process. Nice work.
No argument here. Pretty sad display by the dems in general, although it's become obvious in the last few years that they're as beholden to their corporate masters as the repubs.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
No argument here. Pretty sad display by the dems in general, although it's become obvious in the last few years that they're as beholden to their corporate masters as the repubs.
Oh, I know it. The way I see it, all politicians are lying, thieving scuzzbuckets. I just pick the lying, thieving scuzzbucket who agrees with me on things that are important to me, like reproductive rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island