Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:48 PM

76 posts, read 137,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges. I was talking about getting money back from LIPA from selling them extra electricity not rebates.
ah, my bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 06:33 AM

94 posts, read 255,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
it sucks that LI doesnt have a property tax abatement like NYC. My friends cousin in Queens is looking at a 4 year ROI with that factored in.

No they do, your property taxes wont increase for something like 10 years I believe and after that they will! Gotta love long Island!

Last edited by ac1122; 05-03-2011 at 07:01 AM..

Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 AM

172 posts, read 718,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1122 View Post
No they do, your property taxes wont increase for something like 10 years I believe and after that they will! Gotta love long Island!
ooh yea i read up on that too but in NYC you get your property tax lowered.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:35 AM

76 posts, read 137,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
so im looking to go green and hoping to save some $$$ also by going solar. I got a estimate from a company for $8500( that's with all the rebates and credits). Just wanted to hear from people that has solar installed and who you had it done with. Also wanted to know the over all experience.
Hey CMV138-

I was wondering how this project went, if it's running yet and if so, please share details of who you used, cost, etc. Please PM with details if you don't want to share with the world.

I was reading something in the paper that the cost of the solar panels is dropping very fast and I'd like to see if the time to ROI is becoming quicker....

thx

Old 06-20-2011, 05:56 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Friends of mine have solar panels on their house and love it. I am not sure how much $$$ they are saving but they did see a difference in their bill. $8500 estimate that sounds about right but I think my friend paid a little more because his house is larger. My husband was considering getting them for our house but it's not in our budget right now.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:21 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
If your serious, do out hte math a bit. There are a few set numbers in there so buying a smaller system could make your initial outlay less. Just spring for a bigger inverter so you can add panels as finances allow.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 AM

7 posts, read 9,076 times
Silverbullet, you will not receive some of the incentives by installing a smaller system and adding on to it. You'll only get them based on your initial installation. Your best option is to install a system that zeroes out your average yearly bill from the start. That way if you do need to add on to the system in the future, the cost will be minimal. Undersizing your system from the start is a sure way to shoot yourself in the foot. A good thing to remember is that if you can get your production versus usage as close to zero as possible as well as get the right financing package, typically the payments will wind up to be less than what your electric bill was in the first place, so you will see savings from the moment you turn the system on.

However, for anyone interested in a solar electric system, hold on a second. First you should be looking at efficiency measures for your home, which will be cheaper and have a MUCH higher ROI, especially since a lot of the simple things that you can do yourself, such as changing your bulbs to CFL or preferably LED, replacing thermostats, air sealing, insulation, etc.
Home energy assessments are also referred to as an energy audit. You can go on youtube and search for home energy audits and weatherization to get an idea of what is involved. There are a ton of great videos for DIY'ers.

On Long Island you can get yourself signed up for a free home energy assessment through NYSERDA and Conservation Services Group, along with the LIPA cool homes program by going to New York Energy $mart(SM)

I am a sustainability minded contractor with 14 years experience that does work with many of the renewable energy companies on Long Island in NYC. I would be happy to answer any and all questions having to do with renewable energy, energy efficiency, and *sustainable building practices. I can refer you to companies on Long Island that will do quality work for you. Solar electrical or hot water on the roof of your home is not something you want the lowest bidder to be doing.

I've subscribed to this thread so if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask here or send me a PM.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:38 AM

172 posts, read 718,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb11111 View Post
Hey CMV138-

I was wondering how this project went, if it's running yet and if so, please share details of who you used, cost, etc. Please PM with details if you don't want to share with the world.

I was reading something in the paper that the cost of the solar panels is dropping very fast and I'd like to see if the time to ROI is becoming quicker....

thx
Sorry for the late reply. As of now I'm still waiting on permits from building dept and LIPA. My estimated install date is August 17th. LIPA takes about 2.5 months to get the rebate from them.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,512 times
My buddy used a company in Port Jefferson.

$5K out of pocket, sign over LIPA rebate to company, and he gets a gov't rebate on his taxes. Total out of pocket after completion $23K.

BTW his old bill last May was $400 a month with central air and heated pool.

His bill this month was $6.75.

It is worth it because it also a major selling point on a house. Little or no LIPA bill imagine that!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
My buddy used a company in Port Jefferson.

$5K out of pocket, sign over LIPA rebate to company, and he gets a gov't rebate on his taxes. Total out of pocket after completion $23K.

BTW his old bill last May was $400 a month with central air and heated pool.

His bill this month was $6.75.

It is worth it because it also a major selling point on a house. Little or no LIPA bill imagine that!
Making some assumptions here...$400 per month in Summer...that would probably drop to $200 in the winter??? So if he averages $300 a month, thats about 6 1/2 years to pay it off.

Not a bad selling point at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island