Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is 100k a large salary for Long Island?
Yes 42 25.93%
No 120 74.07%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:57 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeykid View Post
does actual data scare you? I notice you never use any.

your pie charts prove cake is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 01:01 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
<snip>...but then there's those pesky kids and their schooling.
I know... it's amazing how all the really successful people in this world were raised in LI schools. Nobody goes on to be successful raised in those other flyover states. I mean the Fortune 400 is LOADED with all born, raised, and educated on LI folks. So it's best to keep your kids in those schools because it really pays off in the end. Guaranteed success.

oh, wait - I may be looking at the wrong list...

Old 06-07-2011, 01:03 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It's not frugality... it's common sense. Why pay more than you need to?

People need to stop looking at averages and just buy what their income and savings can afford... not what their credit can loan them.

"Look, honey- the average college tuition is $30K/year... we're getting a helluva deal at $20K/year, aren't we?!"

Between you and Scott you can start a financial adisory firm.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:11 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
I suppose you deserve some pittance of recognition for deflection??

<wild applause> There.

Now, is that all you were looking for or did you actually plan to respond to my question?

Old 06-07-2011, 01:12 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
See post # 176 for this.

The report from Ms. Warren goes specifically into why the things Scott mentioned in that post are not the reason a 2nd wage earner is important. We are spending less now on everything he menitoned than a family in the 70's would have spent for the same or similar items.

OK, if you and the other guy worship this Warren broad that's fine.
Corporations make their living trying to get your money. Thats how it works.
In the 1970's we didn't have cell phones. Do you know what people pay for cell phones? Not what YOU pay, i'm asking if you know what people pay for cell phones? Did you know that many folks pay well over $500 per month for their families to have cell phones?
Do you realize corporate America found a way to get an "Extra" $200-$500 per month, every month, out of the average US consumer just for internet and television related service?
Did MS. Warren write a book on CREDIT in this country?
Back in the 1970's NOBODY had credit. Today, everyone has credit, and they abuse it to the tune of billions & billions of dollars every year.
Cars cost a fraction of what they used to. Now having a $500 per month car note is the norm. This is for one car, now get a car for th ewife and teenage kids too.
Please, do not try to tell me an additional $1000-$1500 per month in expenses that DID NOT EXIST IN THE 1970'S does not add to the hardships we face.
I stand by what I said: do not downplay the impact this stuff has on the American Middle class.

I would like to address the points Ms. Warren makes but frankly, Dmans head might explode but I will mention in 1983 I got free healthcare working part time as as a kid.
At 21 my healthcare cost $6.00 per week.
At 30 it was $15 per week.
Right now I pay 40$ per week for a family plan.

When things tighten up for me healthcare will be easy. I'll be looking to shed myself of my SUV and the insurance payment that goes with it.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
In the 1970's we didn't have cell phones. Do you know what people pay for cell phones? Not what YOU pay, i'm asking if you know what people pay for cell phones? Did you know that many folks pay well over $500 per month for their families to have cell phones?
Do you realize corporate America found a way to get an "Extra" $200-$500 per month, every month, out of the average US consumer just for internet and television related service?
Back in the 1970's NOBODY had credit. Today, everyone has credit, and they abuse it to the tune of billions & billions of dollars every year.
Cars cost a fraction of what they used to. Now having a $500 per month car note is the norm. This is for one car, now get a car for th ewife and teenage kids too.
Please, do not try to tell me an additional $1000-$1500 per month in expenses that DID NOT EXIST IN THE 1970'S does not add to the hardships we face.
I stand by what I said: do not downplay the impact this stuff has on the American Middle class.

I would like to address the points Ms. Warren makes but frankly, Dmans head might explode but I will mention in 1983 I got free healthcare working part time as as a kid.

When things tighten up for me healthcare will be easy. I'll be looking to shed myself of my SUV and the insurance payment that goes with it.
Nice anecdotes, but she addresses most of your points and you refuse to make any effort to educate yourself.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I know... it's amazing how all the really successful people in this world were raised in LI schools. Nobody goes on to be successful raised in those other flyover states. I mean the Fortune 400 is LOADED with all born, raised, and educated on LI folks. So it's best to keep your kids in those schools because it really pays off in the end. Guaranteed success.

oh, wait - I may be looking at the wrong list...

You missed my point. I was referring to having 2 homes in different parts of the country as opposed to one on Long Island.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,735 times
Quote:

You say this, yet you don't say that you actually read the report so you can discuss the merits or faults of it. A $46k pickup has little to do with the debate as all items are price adjusted to a standard reference in time so accurate comparisons can be made. For everything we spend on now that didn’t exist in the 70’s, like cell phones, we’re paying less for things that did and getting better quality since they are lasting longer – cars, applicances, clothes, etc… or using some services less or not at all. We're not down playing this burden, it has shifted.
See page 9 http://www.yale.edu/law/leo/052005/papers/Warren.pdf

The data analyzed was collected by the government, which has been gathering it for well over 100 years.

Ms. Warren began looking at data related to this subject in 1999 with a dozen other professors from various schools (incase you have any issues her or with Harvard).

Good for you that in that you're lucky you pay only $40 a week for HC. A lot of people pay a lot more.

Gee, I remember my parents had credit cards in the 70’s.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:02 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You missed my point. I was referring to having 2 homes in different parts of the country as opposed to one on Long Island.
my bad... =(

Old 06-07-2011, 04:25 PM

172 posts, read 292,941 times
Quote:

Regarding cell phones, in 1970 I paid a ton of money for a regular phone, because I had family in California. I now pay 39. a month for unlimited nationwide. In the 70s my mother, father, sister and I all had cars, even when we lived at home. Since we don't buy new cars our car insurance isn't as bad as some people's. I didn't get "free" healthcare until I went to work in publishing, and even then I had to pay for my spouse to have health insurance. Prescription medicine is not too expensive providing you don't need lipitor or something like that. My parents do, and they buy it from a Canadian pharmacy. I'm not saying it's cheaper to live now, just that one needn't earn 150,000-200,000 a year to live here, and most dont. By the way, your 40 a week for a family plan is pretty good, we pay 830 a month for 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island