Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:20 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those people.

Hell they could lower it 20% and I'd still go for it. PD and teaching is the LI Lotto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 08:53 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
Not only is it free to take the test if you are unemployed, but if you have been in a position to hire recently you will know that if you had 1 advertised opening, you would certainly receive more than 150 resumes.
Comparing this to a job advertisement is a bit odd. This is a test to be offered a position if a job comes open. All of these people are taking a test without any guarantee that a job will ever open.

Better to compare this to a civil service exam. Let's see, I think the librarian test on Long Island had 500 test takers. The police test had 30,000. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe we should lower the salary and see if we can whittle that down to 15,000????

Old 04-15-2011, 12:42 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Please let me and the Harvard Business School know the position that is getting 150 applicants for 1 opening?
My husband has been interviewing for several openings. He easily gets hundreds of resumes for one position. IT for Financial Services, FT w/ benefits. It is sad bcs some roles are entry level and you have lots of ppl who are way OQ'd but they have been laid-off/consulting/underemployed and they need benefits. This is also a time of year when you get lots of resumes from new grads.

If you are unemployed and it is free to take the test, then why not take it? I'm sure to be hired as a librarian you'd need to have a Masters in Library Science so that would eliminate a large number of applicants.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:50 PM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
My husband has been interviewing for several openings. He easily gets hundreds of resumes for one position. IT for Financial Services, FT w/ benefits. It is sad bcs some roles are entry level and you have lots of ppl who are way OQ'd but they have been laid-off/consulting/underemployed and they need benefits. This is also a time of year when you get lots of resumes from new grads.

If you are unemployed and it is free to take the test, then why not take it? I'm sure to be hired as a librarian you'd need to have a Masters in Library Science so that would eliminate a large number of applicants.

Correlation does not imply causation.
I don't see any civil servant tests with applicants of that magnitude, especially since they don't have any idea when and how many hires. They are there because it's the best job around, there are college grads that won't have any guarantee of getting to $108K in 5 years not including all the benefits.

I don't have much experience with IT Financial but I would really have to question that you are getting applicants in the 100's, that postion is a specialty and requires a solid backgound in programming.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:04 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't see any civil servant tests with applicants of that magnitude, especially since they don't have any idea when and how many hires. They are there because it's the best job around, there are college grads that won't have any guarantee of getting to $108K in 5 years not including all the benefits.

I don't have much experience with IT Financial but I would really have to question that you are getting applicants in the 100's, that postion is a specialty and requires a solid backgound in programming.
Applications in the 100s (usually way above the 100's) is common place if you are advertising the jobs on the internet where ANYONE, located anywhere in the world, can see the job posting! Trust me on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island