U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2011, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Long Island
40,045 posts, read 16,599,614 times
Reputation: 9140

Advertisements

The applications for medical school is less than vs. acceptance is roughly 1 in 3. Do you think the pay and benefits of the SCPD might be a bit out of line, for all we no there might be some Harvard Grads taking the exam.

That's not a bad take at around $3M for the exam fee.

"The more than 30,000 applicants who've signed up to take the Suffolk County police civil service test on June 11 have about a 1-in-150 chance of being hired over the next four years. To put that in perspective, applicants to Harvard Business School, who know a diploma from that institution can be the gateway to a lifetime of comfort and wealth, have about a 1-in-10 chance of being accepted"

Why so many want to be Long Island cops
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Union County
5,894 posts, read 8,806,367 times
Reputation: 5059
The new lotto baby!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 06:11 PM
 
4,912 posts, read 9,717,554 times
Reputation: 8443
Scam.
Thats what that is.
A revenue making scam.
Many will try...few will be called.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Western, Colorado
1,599 posts, read 2,852,747 times
Reputation: 943
30K huh? Must be because they are so "underpaid".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Long Island
40,045 posts, read 16,599,614 times
Reputation: 9140
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Scam.
Thats what that is.
A revenue making scam.
Many will try...few will be called.
I think they know what their chances are, just like when you buy a lottery ticket as the article states, no scam other than the price of a test.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2011, 08:05 AM
 
1,917 posts, read 4,838,458 times
Reputation: 811
If you're unemployed, it's free.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2011, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Tri-State Area
2,942 posts, read 5,451,159 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The applications for medical school is less than vs. acceptance is roughly 1 in 3. Do you think the pay and benefits of the SCPD might be a bit out of line, for all we no there might be some Harvard Grads taking the exam.

That's not a bad take at around $3M for the exam fee.

"The more than 30,000 applicants who've signed up to take the Suffolk County police civil service test on June 11 have about a 1-in-150 chance of being hired over the next four years. To put that in perspective, applicants to Harvard Business School, who know a diploma from that institution can be the gateway to a lifetime of comfort and wealth, have about a 1-in-10 chance of being accepted"

Why so many want to be Long Island cops
What are the odds if you're Irish? Must be better than 1-150 odds?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2011, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Tri-State Area
2,942 posts, read 5,451,159 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
The new lotto baby!
I thought it was illegal to be required to pay someone for a job. Speaks of collusion and conspiracy to commit fraud. Imagine, a police organization conspiring to commit fraud.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2011, 12:44 PM
 
721 posts, read 1,375,948 times
Reputation: 483
Not only is it free to take the test if you are unemployed, but if you have been in a position to hire recently you will know that if you had 1 advertised opening, you would certainly receive more than 150 resumes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2011, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Long Island
40,045 posts, read 16,599,614 times
Reputation: 9140
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
Not only is it free to take the test if you are unemployed, but if you have been in a position to hire recently you will know that if you had 1 advertised opening, you would certainly receive more than 150 resumes.
Please let me and the Harvard Business School know the position that is getting 150 applicants for 1 opening?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top