Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 AM

41 posts, read 46,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Why? Because she told the truth as she saw it? Sounds like a straight shooter to me. What's wrong with that?
Believe it or not, you need a certain amount of fortitude in order to teach. From this post, I see none. oh, and this is funny; this person left teaching because of the high salaries?? yeah, ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Lose your attitude ! Why do so many teachers think their jobs are so difficult? You knew what was required when you went into the profession.

Most professions today require you stay on top of your game to stay employed. If you don't stay current, you lose your job. In the real world there is no insular comfort zone of tenure !!!.
Enjoy your week off .
Thank you. I will. Well-deserved i might say.

"Most professions require you to stay on top of your game?" Well, I have been staying on top of my game. Paying thousands for graduate courses thru the years. Tenured for almost 5 years now. Recently excessed last month. Definition of tenure: due process. (look it up.) No job is guaranteed for life....on your game or not. Wake up.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:08 AM

ah, yes...property taxes are not income based. But your post is a bit short-sighted. Let me lay it out for you. State aid, as I am sure you know, helps fund local governments. In recent years, millions of federal and state aid has been cut from towns and cities across our fair country. In my school district alone we have seen a decrease of 5M in 2 years. Federal and state mandates imposed on school districts (in the millions) have increased and for the large part continue to be unfunded. Costs go up baby, and so do salaries. Do you get a raise each year?

With tax policy shifted in favor of the wealthy and corporate (not to mention the wall street debacle) tax revenues have decreased at an unprecedented rate. Whom does this effect?....well, of course the little people (as they like to refer to us.) Its starts at the local level. So here we are. Trashing teachers and public employees. They cry, this country is broke. I submit, this country is NOT broke. Everyone needs to pay their fair share of the tax liability. When corporations like verizon claim billions in pre-tax income and get a tax refund of over 1B....well, something is wrong, terribly wrong. The problem is not teacher salaries.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Finally, someone who has done the research! Thank you!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:16 AM

*********. Who the hell do you think you are? Direct your venom at someone who gives a $%$^. "They dont even have these certs and have programming jobs?" Give me a break. Your post epitomizes corporate thinking. Trash a person's livlihood without giving it a second thought. Good riddance.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 AM

Your point?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:20 AM

Ok. Leave the kids out of it. Obviously, you cant relate. Now, do you have a point?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 AM

yeah, so. Have you looked at the price of houses in the area? Havent moved much, have they? Ever compare the COLA of Long Island to upstate? or to most areas in the country? Salaries should reflect the COL. If they dont in your workplace, get a Union in. They will at least attempt to get you what you deserve.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,872,826 times
Is something wrong with my browser? The last 15 posts I see are only massartmom.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:47 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,180,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Actually, that's not true. Way back, when tax rates were higher, there was something called revenue sharing. According to Wiki:
In other words, revenue sharing was eliminated when Reagan cut federal income taxes. Since most of those cuts in income taxes were on high income Americans, income taxes on the upper bracket caused revenue sharing to be stopped which aided local community property taxes. Thus, rises in local property taxes can be traced to decades of cutting taxes on the wealthy on the federal level.
So what is this ancient history doing for our property tax problems now?

Property taxes are a local problem. Unless the millionaires and billionaires living on LI have figured out a way to avoid paying their property taxes here and not get their homes and business properties taken away, you cannot blame them for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island